Hey Soxtalk! You just made ESPN Chicago

Chisoxrd5

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 04:08 AM)
Yeah, I never read any anti-Mexican stuff like that here at SoxTalk, in fact, the opposite is true, we were all hyped last year when we thought we had a shot at Adrian Gonzalez...someone here called OG an illiterate redneck, which was strange.

I find it funny especially since there are posters with hispanic decent who post here. JoshPR, Melissa, myself (half) just to name a couple. If there was anti stuff like that here, I'm sure any of us would have said something.

Edited by SoxAce

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 06:55 AM)
If Jr. stopped in the filibuster there are plenty of anti Mexican comments in regards to immigration.

and that's why I hardly ever post in the filibuster, for too many folks, Mexicans=illegals, never mind that the US basically gangstered half of Mexico's territory in the Mexican-American "War".

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

I don't go into the political forums at all (but I will assume neither does Ozzie Jr.), but in the Pale Hose talk thread, I have never seen anyone insult the Guillen family for anything other than on-field performance and its loony tunes on Twitter. No ones cares about Ozzie's nationality as that has nothing to do with the issues at hand. I don't think anyone cares that Ozzie is Venezuelan or if he were Mexican, or if he were from Bridgeport. The fact is that the people on the site despise Ozzie because of his managing, stupid quotes and moronic son.

Furthermore, no one has ever made a legitimate death threat upon Ozzie. Perhaps Ozzie Jr. is reading someone writing, "I wish Ozzie was just gone," as a death threat. But I don't think anyone has made a serious one to which the kind of which Ozzie Jr. is clearly referring.

Ozzie Jr. usually appears to me to be the sane, level-headed member of the Guillen clan who actually has a reasonable amount of intelligence, but I don't know what the heck he is thinking with such a misguided and patently false quote.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
I don't go into the political forums at all (but I will assume neither does Ozzie Jr.), but in the Pale Hose talk thread, I have never seen anyone insult the Guillen family for anything other than on-field performance and its loony tunes on Twitter. No ones cares about Ozzie's nationality as that has nothing to do with the issues at hand. I don't think anyone cares that Ozzie is Venezuelan or if he were Mexican, or if he were from Bridgeport. The fact is that the people on the site despise Ozzie because of his managing, stupid quotes and moronic son.

I hate to say it, but we do get comments about Ozzie Guillen's heritage on here. That he didn't go to school, that he favors latin players because of their heritage, and occasionally stuff that is harsher.

A quick google search shows that no where on this site in the last month has anyone posted "Guillen" and "Mexican" in the same post. The only time "Guillen" and "die" appear in the same post is a complete non sequitor about a Walker mention making the thread die. The same idea goes for "Guillen" matched with "dead", "death" and "kill".

Sorry Jr, you are completely and 100% wrong.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)
I hate to say it, but we do get comments about Ozzie Guillen's heritage on here. That he didn't go to school, that he favors latin players because of their heritage, and occasionally stuff that is harsher.

I agree that we get that here from time to time but the hyperbole Junior threw out in that article makes a giant jump from subtle racism to "go home Mexican!" I know Junior is respected to a decent level here but this reeks of the Guillen family using their media access to deliberately attempt to discredit a site that has now become fairly unanimous in its anti-Oney stance and pretty lopsided in its calls for the end of the Ozzie era. I am not sure he was making a mistake in calling out SoxTalk versus some other forum.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
I agree that we get that here from time to time but the hyperbole Junior threw out in that article makes a giant jump from subtle racism to "go home Mexican!" I know Junior is respected to a decent level here but this reeks of the Guillen family using their media access to deliberately attempt to discredit a site that has now become fairly unanimous in its anti-Oney stance and pretty lopsided in its calls for the end of the Ozzie era. I am not sure he was making a mistake in calling out SoxTalk versus some other forum.

yes, there is a giant leap from the type of things that are actually said to what this member of the Guillen family is quoted as describing, no one will disagree with that.

However, you should also note that there are things posted here that we don't feel compelled to remove immediately that, if they were read by say, a member of the press or a member of the actual team or their family, would really get to them. It's entirely possible that Jr. read something like that and stretched it or interpreted it another way for this quote.

That's sorta why we had that whole "Hyperbole" thread discussion. We go through this every year. We don't want to block everyone for everything they say in anger/emotion, but it'd be really nice if people thought through the type of post you're describing there before sending it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)
yes, there is a giant leap from the type of things that are actually said to what this member of the Guillen family is quoted as describing, no one will disagree with that.

However, you should also note that there are things posted here that we don't feel compelled to remove immediately that, if they were read by say, a member of the press or a member of the actual team or their family, would really get to them. It's entirely possible that Jr. read something like that and stretched it or interpreted it another way for this quote.

That's sorta why we had that whole "Hyperbole" thread discussion. We go through this every year. We don't want to block everyone for everything they say in anger/emotion, but it'd be really nice if people thought through the type of post you're describing there before sending it.

But that is the nature of a message board, unfortunately, because there is very little accountability.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)
But that is the nature of a message board, unfortunately, because there is very little accountability.

Then we can't hold up our hands and say "who, me?" if we get misquoted about something that shouldn't have been written in the first place.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)
Since we have an email, should we all respond to it? Perhaps one well-written letter forwarded from 100 different email addresses?

No one's going to listen to a form letter any more than they will listen to a letter if you swear at them.

If you want an email to be read, write a polite email, make your points as effectively as you can, keep it civil, educated, and readable.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
No one's going to listen to a form letter any more than they will listen to a letter if you swear at them.

If you want an email to be read, write a polite email, make your points as effectively as you can, keep it civil, educated, and readable.

Thank you Doctor Psychology.

Got this response:

Russell, he was speaking of general stuff online. He never said those words were specifically on your site. Just that he read and "wow." I can see why it was confusing though.

I replied that the way he quoted it made it read that Ozzie Jr. was referencing this site specifically.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)

So write the letter in a Bizarro-Ozzie Guillen way.

We all know Guillen Jr.'s comments weren't based in fact, and from my perspective, that's all that matters. Let the author of the article and their readers believe otherwise, it shouldn't matter. Unless there's an influx of Mexican/Guillen hating posters, we exist as a community to talk with one another -- not appease outsiders. It should be irrelevant how they perceive our posts. It's a message board, not anything more than that.

I know my position won't be supported by many judging from the reactions thus far, but fighting this with emails seems like a strongly worded United Nations letter; ie, good intentions, but nothing substantial will come from it. Do we expect Greenberg to imply to his readers he didn't do his homework and research the comments himself?

Edited by Flash Tizzle