Hey Soxtalk! You just made ESPN Chicago

Chisoxrd5

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
And unfortunately, that is where it will get left. I'm sure there will be no follow up.

He said he went to soxtalk. He also gave examples of types of things people say about Ozzie online. I set it up with paragraph saying he reads multiple critiques online. I don't see the problem. Sorry this has bothered you. I'm sure you run a fine forum.

I want to point out in no way does Soxtalk speak on that behalf. We allow posters to speak there minds but there has always been a line drawn in the sand and our posters 99.9% of the time respect that.

If people want to email Mr. Greenberg, you can do so. But if you do, be respectful and civil. I personally just reached out to him.

As the owner of this site I can flat out say if I saw that sort of post or comment, the post would have been removed and the member suspended or banned.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
I want to point out in no way does Soxtalk speak on that behalf. We allow posters to speak there minds but there has always been a line drawn in the sand and our posters 99.9% of the time respect that.

If people want to email Mr. Greenberg, you can do so. But if you do, be respectful and civil. I personally just reached out to him.

As the owner of this site I can flat out say if I saw that sort of post or comment, the post would have been removed and the member suspended or banned.

I would very much like to know how he responds to your email.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)

I expect Brandofan to attempt comeback #123 within the next 24 hours.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
"I'm too lazy to actually do my job and investigate claims, I am no better than a speech-to-text machine"

I responded with:

I don't think you quite understand the issue here. It is up to the journalist to make sure that A) the person being quoted can back up their claims, or B) offer a chance for the other side to defend those non-factual claims. Why do you think articles will say that they tried to contact so and so company after a claim was made against that company?

I'm glad that people responded because I was thinking WTF?

1) I've NEVER detected a racist vibe here

2) If we dedicate the time to be at Soxtalk, we're knowledgeable enough to know that Guillen is VENEZUELAN, not Mexican

3) Death threats? Seriously?

Why oh why could he not have smeared the other Sox site.... zing!

kidding. KIDDING.

The journalist wrote what Ozzie Jr. said. If its not true thats on Ozzie Jr.

Either way its Ozzie Jr.'s opinion whether its right or wrong. I just am not going to be so bold as to say something like that has never been said, because its a fan site with thousands of posters and not every single person here would I vouch for.

It's clear to me in that quote that Ozzie Jr. is specifically referring to Soxtalk.com as the source of the death threats and bigoted comments -- which of course is patently false.

Shame on Mr. Greenberg, that is a clear example where instead of a direct quote, he should have paraphrased to not falsely implicate a website.

"I went on this website, Soxtalk.com, and, wow. It gets to the point where you don't want to read what you're reading. Obviously you're going to have to have tough skin not to reply to it. It gets kind of scary sometimes with the stuff people write, death threats and, 'Get out of here you Mexican.'

I don't think anyone can read that quote and not attribute it to posts that were made on Soxtalk.com.

So Mr. Greenberg responded again with:

I think what you're misunderstanding is that he never claimed there was a literal post that said "go away mexicans" or whatever. he never said "on Soxtalk.com, there was a post where it said this." he gave examples of criticism.

He just doesn't get out that paragraph reads like it what was meant at Soxtalk.com.

My response:

No I don't think I misunderstand it, because the paragraph reads in a way that links Soxtalk.com and the comments that Ozzie Jr stated. He gave one example of a website and then listed a few examples of what he read. Of course readers will think that he meant that Soxtalk.com was the source of them.

His response:

well, i guess they'll be pleasantly surprised that it isn't.

Very smug.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
I agree that we get that here from time to time but the hyperbole Junior threw out in that article makes a giant jump from subtle racism to "go home Mexican!" I know Junior is respected to a decent level here but this reeks of the Guillen family using their media access to deliberately attempt to discredit a site that has now become fairly unanimous in its anti-Oney stance and pretty lopsided in its calls for the end of the Ozzie era. I am not sure he was making a mistake in calling out SoxTalk versus some other forum.

The more people talk, the more I'm inclined to believe this. Remember, Soxtalk is the main force behind the Oney/Teahen "dispute" lingering. Calling us racists and potential murderers is a good way to discredit us.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
The more people talk, the more I'm inclined to believe this. Remember, Soxtalk is the main force behind the Oney/Teahen "dispute" lingering. Calling us racists and potential murderers is a good way to discredit us.

You racist.

I just sent him a lengthy letter expressing my disappointment in his reporting. I dont think its excusable to be that sloppy working for a site like ESPN, although as we've seen this summer, they can report unsubstantiated stories with zero proof or fact behind them.