Hey Soxtalk! You just made ESPN Chicago

Chisoxrd5

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
The more people talk, the more I'm inclined to believe this. Remember, Soxtalk is the main force behind the Oney/Teahen "dispute" lingering. Calling us racists and potential murderers is a good way to discredit us.

So Soxtalk in the past few days has been accused of death threats and helped cause (or exacerbate) a bitter Twitter war.

Anyone want to come up with some unfounded steroid rumors?

Oh come on Jon Greenburg, you're normally top-of-the-line.

Would it be that difficult to put "Edit: Since this article has been published, memebers of Soxtalk.com have contacted me to refute Ozzie Jr.'s claim that their site contains such slanderous and racist material."

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
So Soxtalk in the past few days has been accused of death threats and helped cause (or exacerbate) a bitter Twitter war.

Anyone want to come up with some unfounded steroid rumors?

I hear Ty Cobb was juicing.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)

Would it be that difficult to put "Edit: Since this article has been published, memebers of Soxtalk.com have contacted me to refute Ozzie Jr.'s claim that their site contains such slanderous and racist material."

I think he simply needs to re-write that paragraph and instead of directly quoting, paraphrase the comments to make it more clear.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
Who wants to sue for libel? I think we could prove it lol

I'm going to put a kabash to any talk of that right now. A, it isn't libel cause he's reporting a quote from someone else. I would like to see a retraction though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
I'm going to put a kabash to any talk of that right now. A, it isn't libel cause he's reporting a quote from someone else. I would like to see a retraction though.

I, personally, would be jsut fine with Quinarvy's "Edit" idea. I expect that at the least.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
So Mr. Greenberg responded again with:

He just doesn't get out that paragraph reads like it what was meant at Soxtalk.com.

My response:

His response:

Very smug.

He's either a jackass trying to cover his ass for sloppy, lazy reporting or someone with a limited grasp of how sentences work. Could be both, I guess.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
I think he simply needs to re-write that paragraph and instead of directly quoting, paraphrase the comments to make it more clear.

That would be nice. I don't see how you could read that paragraph now and not come away thinking that this site is where he saw all of that stuff.

Well theres a million legal reasons why getting into libel/slander makes no sense, but the more practical reason is that truth is a defense.

First comment:

It gets scary.

Opinion, cant be libel or defamation.

Second Comment:

death threats

Fact, Im sure that if you go through all of the posts youll find some one (sarcastically or not) saying that they would like to kill XYZ. Even if its just another poster, it would still be true.

Third Comment:

Get out of here you Mexican.'

This would be the most likely statement you could prove false, but even then Im not so sure that I cant believe in 1 game thread it wasnt said.

Everything that is said on this board is part of history, as a collective you may think that those statements are not representative of this site, but it does not mean that there arent 1 or 2 posters who may say something like above.

I cant imagine there will be a retraction, I cant imagine he will edit the piece, as there is simply no reason to.

If I write an article that says "CC Sabathia isnt a good hitter" doesCC get to write me and say "im a good pitcher I want a retraction"?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)
Got this response:

I replied that the way he quoted it made it read that Ozzie Jr. was referencing this site specifically.

I guarantee you Ozzie Jr. was referring to Twitter. He receives some disgusting messages and him and his brothers often retweet them to show what they deal with.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)

Hey, maybe we could work something out with the Sun Times. They love that kind of stuff!

He offered this:

i hear your point. but the fact remains ozzie jr never said soxtalk.com contains those messages. while i see how it can be read that way, he even uses a different tense in describing the hateful stuff he reads.

i would be glad to post a message like that on twitter, but i really don't see the point.

I wonder if this is simply a back-handed way to snipe at us for the Teahen/Oney thing?

If nothing else, as they say....all publicity is good publicity.

Maybe it should serve as yet another sign to JR that something is SERIOUSLY wrong with his organization and the overall level of discontent of the fanbase. Not that you need to express it with death threats against KW or OG to get your point across.

I think I've joked about having Rios "kidnapped" next season so they wouldn't have to pay his contract. I suppose sensitive Mr. Rios could take that literally and begin thinking a cabal was forming in dark corners...but I've never seen anyone who SEEMED serious or in any way threatening. You never know with the internet, of course.

Edited by caulfield12

While all publicity is good publicity. I find it very offensive to have this site being labeled "racist". Up until 1967, it would have been illegal for me in certain states to be married to my wife due to us being of different races.

So when someone labels the site that I own as being racist, I find it incredibly offensive and upsetting.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
If Jr. stopped in the filibuster there are plenty of anti Mexican comments in regards to immigration.
I don't go there anymore so I can't comment but I hope that one could be against illegal immigration and not be considered racist or anti Mexican. You know today all the races and ethnic groups are mixed and matched like never before in history. Your boss, neighbor or significant other could very possibly come from a totally different background than you. In most cases people don't even give it a second thought anymore. Ozzie is not immune to criticism and it has nothing to do with his race or national origin. At least for me it doesn't. PC eventually gets oh so tiresome.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)
I don't go there anymore so I can't comment but I hope that one could be against illegal immigration and not be considered racist or anti Mexican. You know today all the races and ethnic groups are mixed and matched like never before in history. Your boss, neighbor or significant other could very possibly come from a totally different background than you. In most cases people don't even give it a second thought anymore. Ozzie is not immune to criticism and it has nothing to do with his race or national origin. At least for me it doesn't. PC eventually gets oh so tiresome.

The comments back there are related to politics and not racism.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
While all publicity is good publicity. I find it very offensive to have this site being labeled "racist". Up until 1967, it would have been illegal for me in certain states to be married to my wife due to us being of different races.

So when someone labels the site that I own as being racist, I find it incredibly offensive and upsetting.

Yup, and when friends and family that are also Sox fans and read these articles know that you are a poster/member of this website, it hurts. Especially when you respect the board community and know that these allegations are completely false and unfair.