Hey Soxtalk! You just made ESPN Chicago

Chisoxrd5

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:15 PM)
First of all your sentence is patently false, both the author and myself dont comprehend the paragraphs (its not a sentence) the way that you do. So either a) the author doesnt know what hes writing and I don't know what Im reading or b) you are reading it incorrectly.

Im going to go with B. I tried to be kind with how I wrote my first comment, to show that different people can read the same thing and have different interpretations.

Lets look at the staement:

You'll note that the author broke it into 2 paragraphs. As Im sure you are aware, this indicates a break in thought, and youll notice that the paragraphs do indeed have 2 different thoughts.

Paragraph 1, quote 1 is referring to Soxtalk and how sometimes you "have to have tough skin not to reply".

He then moves onto a second paragraph, which indicates shift in thought. Youll notice that in the first paragraph references the specific, the second paragraph is general. Notice, "it gets kind of scare sometimes with the stuff people write", does not say "on the website" or make any reference to Soxtalk.

Why?

Because it clearly was referencing things that were said in general, not things that were specifically said on the site.

It implied it TO YOU.

It did not imply it to me. At worst it implied to me that people on this site say negative remarks about Ozzie that may go over the line.

I read nonsense negative comments on this site every day about managers, players, etc. I guess Im not so bold as to say that there is not 1 member on this site, who hasnt said one of those things, thought one of those things, sent an email with one of those things.

I always forget that mob rules on this site and any voice of dissent is met with comments that attack the poster, instead of actually discussing the subject.

It looks to me that the writer edited the piece to separate one paragraph into two. Look at the opening post.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:15 PM)
You'll note that the author broke it into 2 paragraphs. As Im sure you are aware, this indicates a break in thought, and youll notice that the paragraphs do indeed have 2 different thoughts.

Paragraph 1, quote 1 is referring to Soxtalk and how sometimes you "have to have tough skin not to reply".

He then moves onto a second paragraph, which indicates shift in thought. Youll notice that in the first paragraph references the specific, the second paragraph is general. Notice, "it gets kind of scare sometimes with the stuff people write", does not say "on the website" or make any reference to Soxtalk.

I LOVE Jon Greenburg's tag. I wonder if I bump into him at Bears camp if that counts?

But Badger, it was initially one paragraph. It's broken up now. If you bothered to read the first post in the thread, it read like this:

"I think Chicago is just being Chicago," Ozzie Jr. said before Wednesday's game. "I went on this website, Soxtalk.com, and, wow. It gets to the point where you don't want to read what you're reading. Obviously you're going to have to have tough skin not to reply to it. It gets kind of scary sometimes with the stuff people write, death threats and, 'Get out of here you Mexican.'

It reads very different now that Greenburg has edited it, which is much appreciated.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
I LOVE Jon Greenburg's tag. I wonder if I bump into him at Bears camp if that counts?

But Badger, it was initially one paragraph. It's broken up now. If you bothered to read the first post in the thread, it read like this:

It reads very different now that Greenburg has edited it, which is much appreciated.

I believe we've sunk his battleship.

To be honest, all this vitroil against Ozzie does kinda sadden me, I mean, how proud were we after 2005 and it has come down to this?

I was an ardent Ozzie supporter because he pushed all the right buttons that magical year and ended a nearly century old age of futility, you just don't luck yourself to a WS title, granted, things have to go your way but as a manager, you still have to make the right decisions.Marlins manager McKeon said a manager doesn't become dumb, so wtf is up with OG and those boneheaded decisions he's made recently?Does he want to get fired?Maybe he doesn't care anymore?I really don't know but damn, nearly everyone here at ST wants him gone and deservedly so, I'm just amazed at how we got from 2005 Ozzie to this.

I can only go by what the article says on ESPN.

If it was originally 1 sentence then the author messed up. I did read the first post in the thread, but because it did not match the article as posted on ESPN, I wasn't sure if the poster formatted it correctly. I never rely on a quote in a thread from an article because of people parsing, taking things out of context, so I went straight to the source.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
To be honest, all this vitroil against Ozzie does kinda sadden me, I mean, how proud were we after 2005 and it has come down to this?

I was an ardent Ozzie supporter because he pushed all the right buttons that magical year and ended a nearly century old age of futility, you just don't luck yourself to a WS title, granted, things have to go your way but as a manager, you still have to make the right decisions.Marlins manager McKeon said a manager doesn't become dumb, so wtf is up with OG and those boneheaded decisions he's made recently?Does he want to get fired?Maybe he doesn't care anymore?I really don't know but damn, nearly everyone here at ST wants him gone and deservedly so, I'm just amazed at how we got from 2005 Ozzie to this.

Ozzie actually made plenty of mistakes in 2005. I recall many times thinking that a game was won in spite of him. The one spot that jumps out at me was the bullpen. He'd continually run the wrong guys out there at the wrong time (Shingo, Vizcaino, and especially Marte), but the other guys in the bullpen were just so damn good (Politte, Cotts, and Jenks) or lucky (Hermanson) that they almost always cleaned up the mess when needed.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)

If it was originally 1 sentence then the author messed up. I did read the first post in the thread, but because it did not match the article as posted on ESPN, I wasn't sure if the poster formatted it correctly. I never rely on a quote in a thread from an article because of people parsing, taking things out of context, so I went straight to the source.

Gotcha, but yes, that was how it initially read.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)

There is no way you ready the entirety of the thread before posting that, though. You would've seen that it mentioned that he edited it, and I'm fairly certain the paragraph was posted a couple of times. You jumped in to take the opposing position of the vast majority, which is usually what you do.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
Ozzie actually made plenty of mistakes in 2005. I recall many times thinking that a game was won in spite of him. The one spot that jumps out at me was the bullpen. He'd continually run the wrong guys out there at the wrong time (Shingo, Vizcaino, and especially Marte), but the other guys in the bullpen were just so damn good (Politte, Cotts, and Jenks) or lucky (Hermanson) that they almost always cleaned up the mess when needed.

A manager is only as good as his bullpen.

lol Such a joke, my first posts in this thread were about slander/libel.

My horrible post that got the response (no one could read it that way was this)

To be fair, I didnt take it that way at all.

I thought Ozzie Jr was pointing out that the fans can get pretty nasty towards his father. I have no doubt that its probably true those things have been said or written (maybe not here, but somewhere).

It was some what of a martyr statement.

I post here, I never thought for a second he was implying Im a racist. At worst I thought he was implying that some of our posters are less than eloquent when making their statements, and that I can agree with.

And I didnt read 6 pages of posts. I read the article, thought people were overreacting on the libel/slander thing, then said in my opinion the article wasnt as horrible as some people thought.

As I said before, dissent is not very welcome. And people remember dissenters, which is why event though Im probably in the majority 50% of the time, its the other 50% thats remembered. Because many do not like those in the minority who dare express their views.

I often wonder how many people with different views just dont even bother to post because they dont want to deal with the mob.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
lol Such a joke, my first posts in this thread were about slander/libel.

My horrible post that got the response (no one could read it that way was this)

And I didnt read 6 pages of posts. I read the article, thought people were overreacting on the libel/slander thing, then said in my opinion the article wasnt as horrible as some people thought.

As I said before, dissent is not very welcome. And people remember dissenters, which is why event though Im probably in the majority 50% of the time, its the other 50% thats remembered. Because many do not like those in the minority who dare express their views.

I often wonder how many people with different views just dont even bother to post because they dont want to deal with the mob.

Exactly, because we're all bigots who hate Mexicans like Ozzie Guillen.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
Then what's going on this year, last year, and '08?

LOL, it's just a saying???

-The bullpen did cost em several games to start this season (with JP's help),.

-Last year's downturn started with an awful peformance by the closer.

-I thought the main guys were solid in 08

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 12:43 AM)
'Get out of here you Mexican.' doesn't seem like something that would come from Soxtalk. It definitely doesn't paint of positive picture and is really stupid since Ozzie is from Venezuela. That kind of comment would be at least a 6 month ban at WSI.

Ill take the over on 6 months!!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)

You still gotta give the skipper some credit during that postsaeson run (El Duque vs the Red Sox, Geoff Blum ph in the 14th inn), I don't believe in luck, Ozzie deserves credit as much as anyone for 2005.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 08:13 PM)
You still gotta give the skipper some credit during that postsaeson run (El Duque vs the Red Sox, Geoff Blum ph in the 14th inn), I don't believe in luck, Ozzie deserves credit as much as anyone for 2005.

Well, only reason that game went to extras was the dumb decision to let Hermanson pitch in the 8th inning. That was my only gripe with Ozzie during the entire postseason.

SS2k,

I know you guys are joking, but its statements like that which can be taken out of context to defeat our claim that "things like that are never said."

Which goes back to my original point, I try to not use words like "never" because all it takes is 1 example and you lose.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)

Great, yet another group of whiney Soxtalk members who can say the last couple years they've been discouraged from posting.

I don't see J4L or Greg having a problem.

Also, I'm rooting for the team to lose to hasten the firings of Guillen and Williams; I'd say that's a radically different view.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
Well, only reason that game went to extras was the dumb decision to let Hermanson pitch in the 8th inning. That was my only gripe with Ozzie during the entire postseason.

And the El Duque thing only happened because Marte was brought in at the wrong time, and even if you argue that point, he was allowed to pitch far too long that inning when it was apparent that he needed to go. But of course Ozzie has his fair share of responsibility for the championship.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
Jon has updated the spacing in the article as well as apologized via the Tweet. He also informed me that he would like to apologize to the members of the forum as well over the confusion.

I give him credit, then. I don't believe many within the media feel the need to held accountable. And let's face it, we're a small minority of his readership; he could have easily brushed us off.