Hitting Approach

Harry Chappas

From Elias: Yankees pitchers did not walk a batter in the series against the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field. The Yankees are only the third team in modern major-league history (i.e., since 1900) to issue no walks while sweeping a four-game series. The Red Sox turned that trick in both previous instances: against the White Sox in 1968 (August 5-8), and versus Washington in 1905 (June 29-July 3).

This is what needs to change with the White Sox.

The White Sox have faced the least amount of pitches in baseball. The scouting reports that the ozeroo pays no attention too will tell the opposition what they need to do. Throw high fastballs and off speed pitches off the corner and they will swing away.

This team does not take good strikes nor do they foul a tough pitch off. You can take a slider on the black at the knees for strike one or two.

That stat is disgusting.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
From Elias: Yankees pitchers did not walk a batter in the series against the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field. The Yankees are only the third team in modern major-league history (i.e., since 1900) to issue no walks while sweeping a four-game series. The Red Sox turned that trick in both previous instances: against the White Sox in 1968 (August 5-8), and versus Washington in 1905 (June 29-July 3).

This is what needs to change with the White Sox.

The White Sox have faced the least amount of pitches in baseball. The scouting reports that the ozeroo pays no attention too will tell the opposition what they need to do. Throw high fastballs and off speed pitches off the corner and they will swing away.

This team does not take good strikes nor do they foul a tough pitch off. You can take a slider on the black at the knees for strike one or two.

That stat is disgusting.

Walker likes a "free-swinging" team, can you blame 'em?

Pitch 1: Watched as it goes right down the middle

Pitch 2: Swung and missed at a low & outside slider/split finger pitch

Pitch 3: Pot luck.

Taking pitches is one thing. This team takes waaaay too many pitches that are right there, begging to be hit, and then follows THAT with swinging at garbage.

QUOTE (Special K @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
Walker likes a "free-swinging" team, can you blame 'em?

A free swinging is too dependant on luck, a small ball team is too dependant on execution. I like the way the twins and yankees are coached. Each playfer in the order has an assignment at the plate and remarkably they come through more often than the sox. Coming through with no plan is luck. Players consistently at the plate involves some coaching. I really see players like Quentin trying to do too much. What I see is a lack of a plan and the usual suspects are Ozzie and Walker. remember OW.

Is it the coach or the hitter? As Ozzie said it's the big leagues not the minors. Here you perform there you learn. Ypu don't teach up her in the bigs. But, in watchign two of the 4 games I don't know if they had an approach other than Konerko in game 4

Edited by elrockinMT

You must have been reading my mind when writing this. I talked to this with my father and father-in-law at the game yesterday. I told them to watch how the Yankees approach hitting and how the White Sox do. They were actually amazed at how different the approaches were. The only hitter on our team that can routinely do this right now is PK. He has the most confidence and pure hitting ability. If Beckham had some more teaching on how to do this at the ML level, I think he could do it as well...but he looks more lost than he did his rookie year. (When you should be lost..not in year 3).

I am usually against getting rid of coaches, but Walk and/or Oz need to go at the end of the season. This team needs a new approach and outlook.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Is it the coach or the hitter? As Ozzie said it's the big leagues nt the minor. Here you perform there yopu learn. But, in watchign two of the 4 games I don't know if they had an approach other than Konerko in game 4

You been drinking?

Whether it's Walker's fault or not, players from other organizations seem to fall into the same pattern that's so "White Sox". I find it hard for the excuse of players not listening. How rare is it when an athlete is not performing to standards they refuse advice?

You have to try someone else.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
Whether it's Walker's fault or not, players from other organizations seem to fall into the same pattern that's so "White Sox". I find it hard for the excuse of players not listening. How rare is it when an athlete is not performing to standards they refuse advice?

You have to try someone else.

Paul Konerko is an anomaly...that is all.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Is it the coach or the hitter? As Ozzie said it's the big leagues not the minors. Here you perform there you learn. Ypu don't teach up her in the bigs. But, in watchign two of the 4 games I don't know if they had an approach other than Konerko in game 4

I am afraid I am going to have to signal the bulls*** alarm on this. I find it fascinating that we have pitching coaches that specialize in tweaking mechanics and teaching new pitches to pitchers yet for some reason hitters come up here as a finished product. I have seen enough hitters over the years to see that they change throughout their career. Their swing plane, the mechanics of the load, hell their feet position. If you cant teach or change why do they do that. They should come up here say f*** it and swing away. This is a game of adjustments, and if you show up to the show and thats it guess what you are done because the scouts and the opposing pitchers will eat you up. Hell look at Konerko now and compare him to his start, is that the same exact hitter. No. Look at Beckham, and compare him when he came up, is that the same hitter. No. Good or bad, these guys make adjustments and change and learn.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
I am afraid I am going to have to signal the bulls*** alarm on this. I find it fascinating that we have pitching coaches that specialize in tweaking mechanics and teaching new pitches to pitchers yet for some reason hitters come up here as a finished product. I have seen enough hitters over the years to see that they change throughout their career. Their swing plane, the mechanics of the load, hell their feet position. If you cant teach or change why do they do that. They should come up here say f*** it and swing away. This is a game of adjustments, and if you show up to the show and thats it guess what you are done because the scouts and the opposing pitchers will eat you up. Hell look at Konerko now and compare him to his start, is that the same exact hitter. No. Look at Beckham, and compare him when he came up, is that the same hitter. No. Good or bad, these guys make adjustments and change and learn.

Chatter here is the Royals hitters actually work with Kevin Seitzer who has been credited for helping turn Gordon into a real hitter.

They've benched Moustakis a couple days just to work with Seitzer on some changes.

Edited by greg775