Rios actually thinks he can improve his hitting stance

chisoxfan09

Is is it worth the wait or too little too late? I don't think he will make much of a difference to be honest. I thought the last line quoting him was hilarious.

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7117824.story

MINNEAPOLIS — Alex Rios said he's started the process of revamping his batting stance in an effort to resurrect his production.

Rios, who didn't start for the White Sox on Friday night for the second consecutive game, said he has moved his hands away from the middle of his body and said he will continue this if he feels aggressive and comfortable.

This is the start of a process that Rios hopes won't require the entire offseason to get comfortable with.

"I want to get a super simple stance where I don't have to be thinking too much about my mechanics," said Rios, who is batting .207 in 102 games. "So that's my goal for this offseason."

Rios said he has watched other hitters to form some ideas about what stance might work best for him.

"Sometimes I look at some of the players and tell myself, 'I'd like to hit like that because it looks so simple," Rios said. "But at the end of the day, it's what feels more comfortable to me. So I'm going to try a few things in the offseason and see what works best."

Rios' biggest issue has been attacking the ball quicker and hitting with authority.

"If I feel something's right, I can pick it up very quickly,'' Rios said.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again. I remember a year or two ago, the Jays commentators called Rios the owner of a thousand different stances. I dunno how a guy can change his stance that many times over the course of his career. But, I guess whatever it takes to get out of this funk should be attempted. Atleast he's trying to change what makes him suck instead of staying the same. Let's hope he can figure things out and contribute next year.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 11:03 PM)
Here we go again. I remember a year or two ago, the Jays commentators called Rios the owner of a thousand different stances. I dunno how a guy can change his stance that many times over the course of his career. But, I guess whatever it takes to get out of this funk should be attempted. Atleast he's trying to change what makes him suck instead of staying the same. Let's hope he can figure things out and contribute next year.

Paul Konerko changes like every at bat.

A lil too late Alex. You can be sucking with the bat and at least hustle and play hard, make the right play. That's my gripe with Alex. And what does this tell you about walker? A guy going on his own cause he can't figure what's up with the guys. Who's next with this approach? Beckham? Dunn?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
A whole lot of talent and a decent history of having been effective.

I hope it turns around for him, but at this point I don't think it will. It might next year with a lot of time off. I think his problems are mostly mental. Then again, what do I know about him? Just about nothing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
Or good sign of some postiive/PR "spin" to get the fans off his back at least a little bit.

We're past Swisher/Wise point now already with this situation.

This.

The way Rios plays the game won't be overshadowed by this. I'll never trust that bum again. Would love for him to get hot and maybe move him in the off-season. He's a loser.

All we can do is hope, he looked better tonight.

He also threw the bat in anger on his final ab, think thats the first time Ive seen him show some emotion. Maybe hes realizing that hes career is slipping away, who knows but a good Alex Rios would be a miracle for the Sox.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)
All we can do is hope, he looked better tonight.

He also threw the bat in anger on his final ab, think thats the first time Ive seen him show some emotion. Maybe hes realizing that hes career is slipping away, who knows but a good Alex Rios would be a miracle for the Sox.

He's actually thrown his bat quite often this season.

I am not buying this guy as someone who doesn't try or doesn't put in effort, I think he's just a bit of a head case.

Let's just hope he can build some confidence and start turning things around.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 09:01 PM)
He's actually thrown his bat quite often this season.

I am not buying this guy as someone who doesn't try or doesn't put in effort, I think he's just a bit of a head case.

Let's just hope he can build some confidence and start turning things around.

I'm with you on this. I notice that often Alex is in the front of the line at the entrance to the dugout to congratulate teammates...certainly not something I'd expect from a guy who is just there to earn a paycheck.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 08:21 PM)
I'm with you on this. I notice that often Alex is in the front of the line at the entrance to the dugout to congratulate teammates...certainly not something I'd expect from a guy who is just there to earn a paycheck.

Good start for Rios after 2 games 5 for 8 with power. Maybe Frank's visit had something to do with it.