Zach Stewart called up

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
I ordered a Zach Stewart jersey-shirt.

White Sox fandom is a disease. :lolhitting

I have a Dayan Viciedo one and still need to get a Santos one.

Add it to Frank (waiting for that to come in through the mail), PK (2 of them), Buehrle, Beckham (bought the week he was brought up, almost bought a #15 Beckham Charlotte jersey they were selling for some reason the day before he was brought up), and Peavy (it was exciting).

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
Stewart did good in his first game, but not great. The one thing is he didn't seem to panic and give in to the Twins hitters

6 2/3 1 ER in your debut with a team isn't great? I'll take that everytime from a rookie making his 4th start.

He looked like he belonged in the big leagues, that's for sure.

Not panicked or nervous. Getting Mauer in that situation was huge. Obviously, having 3 prior starts helped, but it was impressive.

Really did all those things with just 2 pitches, and Dunn didn't help at all. The game shouldn't have been as close as it was...but we can't hit for shi- with RISP these days.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
6 2/3 1 ER in your debut with a team isn't great? I'll take that everytime from a rookie making his 4th start.

Depends on your definition of "great" i guess. The Twins don't exactly have a light you up offense, so you can hold that against him if you want, and he didn't come out there and blow anyone away with Kershaw-like stuff where it's just unfair.

He got outs, worked quickly, kept the ball on the ground, all of which are exactly what you'd hope for from a rookie who throws a sinker baller. He also blew Mauer away on an 94 mph low and in sinker when he needed a big out.

You didn't look at him and think "This guy's going to win 33 games in 2 years", but he was certainly effective.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)
Depends on your definition of "great" i guess. The Twins don't exactly have a light you up offense, so you can hold that against him if you want, and he didn't come out there and blow anyone away with Kershaw-like stuff where it's just unfair.

He got outs, worked quickly, kept the ball on the ground, all of which are exactly what you'd hope for from a rookie who throws a sinker baller. He also blew Mauer away on an 94 mph low and in sinker when he needed a big out.

You didn't look at him and think "This guy's going to win 33 games in 2 years", but he was certainly effective.

He looked like a ML pitcher and considering how the trade got panned is pretty damn good (and Frasor)for a 2 month rental and Teahen.

Zach Stewart said he had an inkling he would start Friday night before pitching coach Don Cooper confirmed the decision.

And Stewart added he's ready to move to the bullpen in case the Sox opt for a four-man rotation later this month.

"I don't think it will be that big of a deal because I've flip-flopped before between the pen and starting, so I think I'll be able to handle it," the rookie said Tuesday, three days after earning his first major league victory in his Sox debut against the Twins.

Link

So what do we do with Zach?

I don't know about you guys, but he looks like he should be here to stay to me. He throws strikes, he works quickly, and he's definitely got major league quality stuff.

I was incredibly shocked by this trade when it went down, but difficult for anyone to complain at this point, given what we've seen of the kid thus far.

I've got absolutely no problem dealing Danksy at this point, unless he suddenly becomes amenable to working out a reasonable deal.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)
So what do we do with Zach?

I don't know about you guys, but he looks like he should be here to stay to me. He throws strikes, he works quickly, and he's definitely got major league quality stuff.

I was incredibly shocked by this trade when it went down, but difficult for anyone to complain at this point, given what we've seen of the kid thus far.

I've got absolutely no problem dealing Danksy at this point, unless he suddenly becomes amenable to working out a reasonable deal.

I wouldn't be mad if he spent a chunk of next season in AAA though. Just don't do the bullpen game with another guy who could benefit from building up innings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
I wouldn't be mad if he spent a chunk of next season in AAA though. Just don't do the bullpen game with another guy who could benefit from building up innings.

Well, he's at 145 or so right now...you figure they won't want to push him much more than 180-190. If you can get him to 175 or so, I figure he'd be fine to go as a full-time starter next year.

I really will be interested to see what they do with Sale. A rotation of Sale/Humber/Peavy/Mark/Stewart could show you a lot of different looks over the course of a couple series.

I guess I agree with Flavum, who advocated dealing Danks and Floyd in the offseason. We could restock our system with a few good arms to eventually replace Peavy and Mark down the road, and hopefully add a quality few position players into the system.

Of course, you could always keep Floyd and leave Stewart in Charlotte and see what Peavy and Humber do and then if they prove healthy/effective, move Floyd at the deadline.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
Well, he's at 145 or so right now...you figure they won't want to push him much more than 180-190. If you can get him to 175 or so, I figure he'd be fine to go as a full-time starter next year.

I really will be interested to see what they do with Sale. A rotation of Sale/Humber/Peavy/Mark/Stewart could show you a lot of different looks over the course of a couple series.

I guess I agree with Flavum, who advocated dealing Danks and Floyd in the offseason. We could restock our system with a few good arms to eventually replace Peavy and Mark down the road, and hopefully add a quality few position players into the system.

Of course, you could always keep Floyd and leave Stewart in Charlotte and see what Peavy and Humber do and then if they prove healthy/effective, move Floyd at the deadline.

destroy a bullpen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 11:54 AM)

There's a lot of uncertainty with that rotation that's for sure. If the sox have to shed payroll though, that could very well be the rotation next season.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
There's a lot of uncertainty with that rotation that's for sure. If the sox have to shed payroll though, that could very well be the rotation next season.

Even though it's an uncertain rotation, it *could* still be a competitive one, that's one nice thing.

Problem is, for it to be competitive, Peavy, Dunn, and Rios have to play to their contracts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
Only if you're comparing it to the White Sox of the last 5 years, where they've had basically the fewest innings out of their bullpen of any team in the majors.

Buehrle is the only member of that rotation I think could get to 200 innings. Even if they aren't "destroyed" they certainly will be less effective over the long haul.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)
Buehrle is the only member of that rotation I think could get to 200 innings. Even if they aren't "destroyed" they certainly will be less effective over the long haul.

I don't know if it could be Santiago or some return from trading Floyd/Danks or some veteran Doug Davis type signed in ST, but I will grant, you need to have a 6th starter option in AAA known to start the season with that kind of rotation. They'd probably be able to go plenty deep in games, but sometime around June/July we'd actually start wanting to have guys do some spot starts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
I don't know if it could be Santiago or some return from trading Floyd/Danks or some veteran Doug Davis type signed in ST, but I will grant, you need to have a 6th starter option in AAA known to start the season with that kind of rotation. They'd probably be able to go plenty deep in games, but sometime around June/July we'd actually start wanting to have guys do some spot starts.

I'd still wanna go with a six man.

What its done for Buehrle, could do for Humber, Peavy, Sale, and Stewart, would be great.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)
I'd still wanna go with a six man.

What its done for Buehrle, could do for Humber, Peavy, Sale, and Stewart, would be great.

The 6 man rotation is terrible on a roster/bullpen though, and it's shown no signs of being a benefit to anyone except the most reliable pitcher on our staff.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 08:32 AM)
Which is who we are comparing it too... :bang

No, we're not. We're comparing it to what a normal MLB bullpen pitches year-in and year-out.

For several years now, Ozzie has relied more on his starters and less on his bullpen that pretty much every other manager. So what seems like it might be destroying the bullpen to a White Sox fan may just be an adjustment from what we are accustomed to.