Mark Buehrle New Contract

JohnCangelosi

Mark once again has good timing in having a solid season in a contract year, and I'm sure several teams are going to be interested. What do you think the open market will offer him? I can definitely see a team offering him 3/30 with him seeing that he's pretty durable, throws with his left hand, and can stall the best of running games. Who knows if he wants to play that long, however. Thoughts?

Edited by JohnCangelosi

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, 2-3 seasons. After reeling off 17 consecutive quality starts, there's no way he's getting under $10 million per season, since he's always been very durable and shown no signs of any arm/shoulder problems.

If he put up those numbers with AJ Burnett's stuff, he'd arguably be getting $15-18 million per season.

So probably around $10-12.5 million per season, over 2+, perhaps with a mutual option for 2014?

Plus there's the MB "premium" in the sense that he's worth more in goodwill and ancillary revenues staying on the White Sox (from the standpoint of JR and the marketing team) than losing him to the Yankees/Red Sox/Cardinals/Rangers, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

He's probably cost himself money by talking about retirement and his willingness to walk away if it isn't a team he wants to play for.

How about 2 years/ $24 mil, with a vesting option for 2014? If he hits 190 innings next year, 2014 kicks in for another $12.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)
Buehrle picked a good time to have his best season since 2005. I wouldn't overpay him, but I'd love to have him back.

I'd really like to see the stats of vets in their contract years. It seems they turn it up a notch just at the right time for a nice payday. A good example of guys who over performed prior to their contract year recently and then dropped off would be Aaron Rowand, Gary Matthews Jr, Chone Figgins, etc. But they had an uncanny ability to have their career year right before becoming a FA, very nice...

Buehrle was on ESPN1000 this morning, and of course he mentioned retirement and his kids starting school in a year or so....same old stuff.

As much as I love what he's done for the Sox, maybe it's time to let him go to St. Louis and finish out his career there.

I wish he wanted to pitch until he's 40, and in that case I would want him to stay with the Sox for 7-8 more years. But since we know that won't happen in Chicago, and the team seems to be going backwards in the standings, maybe it's time to move on without him and wish him luck there.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
He's probably cost himself money by talking about retirement and his willingness to walk away if it isn't a team he wants to play for.

How about 2 years/ $24 mil, with a vesting option for 2014? If he hits 190 innings next year, 2014 kicks in for another $12.

I don't know why talking about retirement would cost him money. Most of the time teams don't want to give the extra year, if the pitcher retires early, then the team gets out of a commitment.

Unless Mark really wants to get away from this dysfunctional team, I'd suspect he'll sign three years for 10 million a year. Right?

The Cardinals won't pay him much more than the Sox would, correct?

If he really wants to hit the payday jackpot, however, we have no chance of keeping him.

Certainly some Yankee-like team will be willing to offer him five or six years. He's pretty damn consistent. But like many of you said, he probably doesn't want to pitch out East.

Edited by greg775

I would love Mark back. Maybe a 3-year deal worth $30 million? I think that is fair for both sides. Mark has made plenty and clearly isn't money-driven, but the Sox also can't afford to just low ball him and insult him. My biggest worry about Mark is his desire to remain here. I think he senses the dysfunction and would probably rather go home to St. Louis where the likelihood of winning is higher and he won't have to deal with the shenanigans of this organization.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)
I would love Mark back. Maybe a 3-year deal worth $30 million? I think that is fair for both sides. Mark has made plenty and clearly isn't money-driven, but the Sox also can't afford to just low ball him and insult him. My biggest worry about Mark is his desire to remain here. I think he senses the dysfunction and would probably rather go home to St. Louis where the likelihood of winning is higher and he won't have to deal with the shenanigans of this organization.

I bet he'd sign three years for 36 million right now.

These guys risk career ending injuries every time they take the mound.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)

He stated this morning he wants to stay with the Sox, but he did throw out there the whole family thing makes him want to stay home.

I think when it's all settled this winter he'll be back for 2-3 years, and then it's either retirement or play for the Cardinals.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
I bet he'd sign three years for 36 million right now.

These guys risk career ending injuries every time they take the mound.

I'm sure he doesn't need any more money.

Just a personal/family decision.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he walked away. Or walked away for a year or two and then came back. Anything's possible.

Mark has more value-on the field and in the clubhouse-for the sox than for other teams. Something should be done, along the lines of a PK contract. While he might be a nice addition for another team, his leaving would be a greater loss.

The 6 man rotation has worked well for MB. Without it, his off-speed stuff and location would probably take a big hit. So would his ERA and effectiveness. This is something the sox should stick with for 2012, with Peavy and Humber needing that extra rest as well.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 07:44 AM)
Mark has more value-on the field and in the clubhouse-for the sox than for other teams. Something should be done, along the lines of a PK contract. While he might be a nice addition for another team, his leaving would be a greater loss.

The 6 man rotation has worked well for MB. Without it, his off-speed stuff and location would probably take a big hit. So would his ERA and effectiveness. This is something the sox should stick with for 2012, with Peavy and Humber needing that extra rest as well.

I don't think having Paulie and Mark is helping in the clubhouse because its already pathetic with the man running the dugout. Ozzie has lost his team. I never seen so many players give up and show no energy and enthusiasm night in and night out. Time for a new manager to run the show. Ozzie has lost this team a long time ago when he let his idiot son's start bad mouthing his players with insider information.

Edited by PolishPrince34

Bad hitting (Dunn/Rios/Beckham/Morel) equals losing, equals bad chemistry.

If the clubhouse was truly lost 100%, we would have rolled over and gotten steamrolled by the Twins. We haven't, or didn't. The losses on Sunday and Monday really knocked the Sox offstride, and momentum turned against us with the Yankees, just like we swept through Boston on the road earlier in the season. The problem is our offense isn't consistent enough to even win 5 games in a row, let alone 26/31 like last year.

I think there's a lot of chaos and uncertainty because of the strife between KW and Ozzie, and wouldn't be upset to see both leave.

There really are a lot of Sox fans who would rather see KW gone than Guillen, actually. I know many that never post here....even though the current "pulse" here is probably 2/3rd's favoring Ozzie going over KW.

The only way to get rid of Greg Walker and actually see what we have in Dunn/Beckham/Rios/Morel is to give them a shot with a totally different coaching staff. Guillen or JW won't fire Walker, so the only way is letting Guillen go to Florida. Dumping Beckham right now would be insane because his value is almost zero since he will soon head into his more expensive arbitration years period.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 08:01 AM)

If the clubhouse was truly lost 100%, we would have rolled over and gotten steamrolled by the Twins. We haven't, or didn't. The losses on Sunday and Monday really knocked the Sox offstride, and momentum turned against us with the Yankees, just like we swept through Boston on the road earlier in the season. The problem is our offense isn't consistent enough to even win 5 games in a row, let alone 26/31 like last year.

I think there's a lot of chaos and uncertainty because of the strife between KW and Ozzie, and wouldn't be upset to see both leave.

There really are a lot of Sox fans who would rather see KW gone than Guillen, actually. I know many that never post here....even though the current "pulse" here is probably 2/3rd's favoring Ozzie going over KW.

The only way to get rid of Greg Walker and actually see what we have in Dunn/Beckham/Rios/Morel is to give them a shot with a totally different coaching staff. Guillen or JW won't fire Walker, so the only way is letting Guillen go to Florida. Dumping Beckham right now would be insane because his value is almost zero since he will soon head into his more expensive arbitration years period.

OK, it's off topic but:

If Ozzie was willing to demonstrate some flexibility in terms of his coaching style and also hold Walker accountable for this consistent under performing offense, I would be in favor of keeping him. I think his personality is great for Chicago and I have always loved the fact that he is clearly the boss. Despite much publicized issues with players like Swisher/Cabrera, it seems that most players respect him and like playing for him.

That said, at times I've seen this team just going through the motions and not playing hard for him, which is more than concerning.

Beyond that, his in game decision making is awful, mainly with challenging hitters with an open base, over managing the "matchups" in late inning situations, and consistently leaving the starter in one inning too long when it's obvious to everyone even on this board that they are done. And this really isn't Monday morning quarterbacking. Sure, sometimes your decisions aren't going to work in your favor but the idea is to at least give your team the best chance to win. Similar to how the best poker players consistently have the odds in their favor because of their decision making, and sure, get some bad beats at times but over the course of the year the odds work in their favor.

Example: This whole board knew we should've pulled Peavy against Detroit after he completed 5 IP. HE WAS DONE. And yet Oz tried getting another inning out of him, and we knew what happened there. Just totally handed that game to them. Pulling MB against Oakland when he was cruising in April was another AWFUL decision that I think 99% of managers would never make. Pitching to VMart with an open base. We see this happening with consistency.

The bottom line is since we know Walker is a package deal with Ozzie, he must go. When was the last time our offense has performed up to its expectations?

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 07:48 AM)
I don't think having Paulie and Mark is helping in the clubhouse because its already pathetic with the man running the dugout. Ozzie has lost his team. I never seen so many players give up and show no energy and enthusiasm night in and night out. Time for a new manager to run the show. Ozzie has lost this team a long time ago when he let his idiot son's start bad mouthing his players with insider information.

This team would have keeled over long ago if not for PK and Mark. And I don't mean their on the field performance. At least the players try (because of the Captain and Buehrle).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 08:01 AM)

I seriously think that if we got a guy who could coach patience, it would do amazing things for this lineup. Ruining Beckham is Walker's biggest folly.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 07:44 AM)

I've been advocating this for I don't know how long. I remember pulling up the pitchers (Buehrle, Peavy, Floyd, Danks, Jackson) stats an advocated Sale in the rotation as all the pitchers we're remarkably better on five days rest over four and it would ease Sale into the rotation.

Now, I want to do it next year for the reasons you said. It will help Humber build his arm strength (since we have him for the next few years, this would be nice), Peavy rebuild his, Buehrle has shown this year what the extra rest does. It will also help ease Stewart and Sale into the rotation.

This would of course meaning trading Floyd/Danks. But I'm upping it one more and trading both.

Danks, I'm sending to the Red Sox. With Quentin. And Floyd. Why? Because I'm going to be irrational and point out what I saw earlier on MLBTR (Rosenthal video).

The Rockies wanted five of Boston's top prospects for Ubaldo Jimenez: Will Middlebrooks, Kyle Weiland, Josh Reddick, Felix Doubront, and Ryan Lavarnway. The Red Sox would have gotten more than just Jimenez in return as Rosenthal tweets that the Rockies offered Jimenez and outfielder Seth Smith in return for the quintet of prospects. There were other possible fits in such a deal including Ryan Spilborghs, Chris Iannetta, and Rafael Betancourt.

If Ubaldo + Seth Smith was what the Rockies were offering, I feel like Danks + Quentin + Floyd could actually get that package, and that is a hell of a package. Heck, I'd throw in Thornton if they'd up it to include Ranuado (though the fact that I'm saying "include Ranuado too" means I'm delusional). I also feel Floyd/Thornton are interchangeable if they only want one of them and we have to settle for a "lesser" (again, relatively speaking) package.

That deal makes the Red Sox really scary, since they would have a rotation to match their lineup.

It also sets up the White Sox nice for the future.

Ok, I'm done with pointless rambling.