Mark Buehrle New Contract

JohnCangelosi

Floyd is worth 5X what Matt Thornton is right now.

The Red Sox would only make these moves if they actually wanted to keep Danks and/or Quentin long-term. Certainly, Danks would be the main reason they'd make the move.

Is JD Drew under contract for next season?

Personally, if I was Epstein, I'd rather have Reddick going forward (especially considering salary) than Quentin for one year at $9 million.

So while it looks like a "win" for the Red Sox on paper, it's kind of a sucker-trade longer term.

But there's zero chance we could afford to trade Danks AND Floyd together. When's the last time three All-Stars were traded together in one move (I know Danks hasn't made it before, but Thornton/Quentin were, and Danks would be the centerpiece obviously).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
Floyd is worth 5X what Matt Thornton is right now.

The Red Sox would only make these moves if they actually wanted to keep Danks and/or Quentin long-term. Certainly, Danks would be the main reason they'd make the move.

Is JD Drew under contract for next season?

Personally, if I was Epstein, I'd rather have Reddick going forward (especially considering salary) than Quentin for one year at $9 million.

So while it looks like a "win" for the Red Sox on paper, it's kind of a sucker-trade longer term.

But there's zero chance we could afford to trade Danks AND Floyd together. When's the last time three All-Stars were traded together in one move (I know Danks hasn't made it before, but Thornton/Quentin were, and Danks would be the centerpiece obviously).

1) I don't 5x. Maybe 2x, but Thornton is still a top lefty reliever (though he lost his top spot).

2) Since they are the Red Sox, I'd assume they would want them long term.

3) I would to, but Reddick was tied to almost every single Red Sox rumor.

4) A rotation of Beckett - Danks - Lester - Floyd - Bucholz is ridiculous with their lineup + Q. It's an "All In" move.

5) I see it as highly likely. We traded Garcia and B-Mac.

6) I said delusional.

Or Humber the first 3 months.

Or no Santos, although they could have gone with Sale in hindsight.

Probably at the time though, Ozzie would have gone to Crain first, then Sale as the 3rd option.

At any rate, Chris Sale wasn't ready to close any games until halfway through this season.

They were just talking about Buehrle on Hit and Run, and what he'll get.

To me, he can't have a pay cut. I think 2 years/28 mil is fair for Buehrle, plus an option for a 3rd.

And the more I think about it, Danks and Floyd both have to be traded after this season. They aren't going to keep Danks after 2012 anyway. Trade him before then and maximize his value.

2012 rotation: Buehrle, Peavy, Humber, Sale, Stewart (maybe a young starter comes back in one of the trades)

Could they suck? Yes, but they aren't winning or drawing fans with the team they have now.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 04:38 AM)
I would overpay Mark Buehrle.

Absolutely, and I think he's worth more than he will get in FA if he opts to go that route. He is one of those prototypical "he's worth more to our team" type guys. (trade or FA signing)

I really think it's one of those deals where you have to bring him back, at any price. MB is the type who would just retire if he was having an Adam Dunn type of year so I don't see a problem in going 3 years and worrying about the money and the years he is locked in at. Besides that he probably could pitch another 5 years or so anyways in all likelihood.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
Jeez, talk about pulling something out of your ass.

That's why he retired after 2006. Shame we didn't get to see Buehrle pitch until the end of 2011 on the South Side, would have been nice, but at least he got a ring. Wonder if he'd ever have thrown that no hitter, he kept getting so close.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
That's why he retired after 2006. Shame we didn't get to see Buehrle pitch until the end of 2011 on the South Side, would have been nice, but at least he got a ring. Wonder if he'd ever have thrown that no hitter, he kept getting so close.

Yeah, what if he threw a perfect game? The things we missed because he retired during a bad season, because that's what MB does.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)

To be fair, MB's 06 and Dunn's 11 are nothing close to each other in terms of sucktitude. Adam Dunn is literally having one of the worst offensive seasons in the history of baseball. MB was just "bad" in 2006. Dunn is into "historical bad."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
To be fair, MB's 06 and Dunn's 11 are nothing close to each other in terms of sucktitude. Adam Dunn is literally having one of the worst offensive seasons in the history of baseball. MB was just "bad" in 2006. Dunn is into "historical bad."

I dunno, dude put up an ERA > 7 from July 1 on that year. That's as bad as Lackey was for the first few months this year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
I really think MB could be an effective pitcher into his 40s ala Jamie Moyer. Sure, that would mean finishing his career in the NL, but it's clearly not outside the realm of possibility. I also think an extension with the Sox would be awesome.

I think almost everyone believes that, Steve. The only question has been whether M-56 actually wants to pitch that long.

New blurb up from Jon Heyman, basically saying what we already suspect that MB won´t retire.

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writ...ml?eref=writers

Around the majors

• Mike Jacobs' test for HGH is a big victory or MLB and will likely cause league powers to push harder for testing at the big-league level. "It'd be hard for the union to say testing doesn't work," one management source said. Jacobs, a Rockies minor leaguer with 97 RBIs, became the first U.S. athlete to fail a test for HGH. He said he took it to heal back and knee injuries, a major step for honesty. Insiders say that while steroid use is out, HGH remains a major player in the big leagues.

• The Orioles are the second-most improved offensive team in the American League and the bullpen has been OK, but as GM Andy MacPhail admitted, "The starting pitching has really gone backward." About Zach Britton, Jake Arrieta and the disappointing Brian Matusz, MacPhail said, "We've got to get these guys back to where they were before." Some Orioles people believe former pitching coach Mark Connor's early-summer departure was a setback for the staff.

• MacPhail wouldn't address his own situation. His contract is up, and some wonder whether he'll opt to return. Some are speculating he may opt out, but he wouldn't tip his hand. MacPhail didn't hint at anything bad, but others have noticed that manager Buck Showalter has gotten close to Peter Angelos. The job of Orioles GM may be the hardest one in baseball.

• Mark Buehrle finally lost his streak of not allowing more than three runs in a game in a 4-1 defeat to the Indians. He will be one of the most coveted free agents this winter. He's 32, but as a high 80s thrower and not someone reliant on a big fastball, he may have a lot of years left in him. Previous suggestions he may retire are off base, according to people who know him.

I find it interesting that we talk about how long Mark wants to pitch. One of the things I love about the guy is he always seems like he is having fun. Yeah, they stopped the tarp sliding, but I believe he will want to pitch as long as he is able. I am not that concerned about his desire, despite some of his comments. I attribute those comments to mean he has a pretty good grasp on life.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 20, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
I find it interesting that we talk about how long Mark wants to pitch. One of the things I love about the guy is he always seems like he is having fun. Yeah, they stopped the tarp sliding, but I believe he will want to pitch as long as he is able. I am not that concerned about his desire, despite some of his comments. I attribute those comments to mean he has a pretty good grasp on life.

Agreed about his grasp on life.

He seems to get it.

I love his approach to pitching as well. He works so fast even if his stuff is not so good on a given night he'll still work fast.