Sox Trade Busts vs. Other Team

stretchstretch

I would say the same thing about KW, except you could (recently) replace competency with ego and drive with "ambition."

Unfortunately, his risk-taking/gambling side of the brain has won out too much since 2008. And having both of his sons in the minors is just embarassing. Can you imagine being asked to write game reports or a scout being asked for an honest appraisal about his sons' level of play. They just can't say the truth. But everyone in the system knows they shouldn't be there taking up roster spots from more deserving players, Shaffer's kid, the Guillen kids, etc.

It's bad enough to be the worst farm system in baseball. Having his sons take playing time away from someone...anyone, that's even worse almost.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 02:09 AM)
I would say the same thing about KW, except you could (recently) replace competency with ego and drive with "ambition."

Unfortunately, his risk-taking/gambling side of the brain has won out too much since 2008. And having both of his sons in the minors is just embarassing. Can you imagine being asked to write game reports or a scout being asked for an honest appraisal about his sons' level of play. They just can't say the truth. But everyone in the system knows they shouldn't be there taking up roster spots from more deserving players, Shaffer's kid, the Guillen kids, etc.

It's bad enough to be the worst farm system in baseball. Having his sons take playing time away from someone...anyone, that's even worse almost.

I've never met KW, so I can't say for sure. But he's had as many hits as misses. He let's his stubbornness and ego get in the way of smart decisions.

AA is unbelievably humble. He'll discuss potential deals with everybody from his assistant GM's to his scouting coordinators, to his interns. He receives and genuinely considers information from every possible qualified person. This is likely the main thing that gives him a leg up on KW.

I also think have a hard time believing KW has the same work ethic. This is a man that was on the phone discussing offers to Aroldis Chapman (which I was involved with) minutes before walking down the aisle with his bride to be. He's an absolute machine.

Didn't Hendry do the same thing from a hospital bed?

Well, for what it's worth, it seems Daniels operates the same way in Texas. He had to, because of the mistakes he made in the first couple of seasons down there and because of the gaps in his baseball background/knowledge compared to many other young GM's.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 02:58 AM)
Didn't Hendry do the same thing from a hospital bed?

Well, for what it's worth, it seems Daniels operates the same way in Texas. He had to, because of the mistakes he made in the first couple of seasons down there and because of the gaps in his baseball background/knowledge compared to many other young GM's.

Hendry signed Jason Marquis from a hospital bed.

Daniels made horrible moves before coming into his own (as did KW).

AA has been a good moves machine.

There is no GM in baseball I would take ahead of AA to run the sox.

Edited by Pale Sox

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
If you have Mark Teahen signed for $5.5 million next season, doesn't that automatically disqualify you from discussion for best GM in the league?

BUT HE'S GOT SO MANY PROSPECTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say he's just gotten over some dumb moves by other GM's than really making anything happen. Nobody in their right mind should have taken Wells, let alone GIVE UP an able MLB player for him.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 02:18 AM)
I've never met KW, so I can't say for sure. But he's had as many hits as misses. He let's his stubbornness and ego get in the way of smart decisions.

AA is unbelievably humble. He'll discuss potential deals with everybody from his assistant GM's to his scouting coordinators, to his interns. He receives and genuinely considers information from every possible qualified person. This is likely the main thing that gives him a leg up on KW.

I also think have a hard time believing KW has the same work ethic. This is a man that was on the phone discussing offers to Aroldis Chapman (which I was involved with) minutes before walking down the aisle with his bride to be. He's an absolute machine.

KW is definitely a very hard worker. But not humble.