1st place by Labor Day

sin city sox fan

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This four game winning streak has been fun, but when I look at the Tigers remaining schedule, I realize the Sox won't catch them unless they get ungodly hot.

The Tigers have this left:

Cleveland - 12

Minnesota - 9

Baltimore - 7

Chicago - 6

Kansas City - 6

Tampa Bay - 4

Oakland - 4

And let's be clear, no matter how close the Sox get in the end, if they come up short, Kenny and Ozzie both have to go.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
Let's just hope we see Verlander only one of those series and not both.

The Tigers realize those series are important, too. They will ensure that Verlander pitches in both. Hell, that guy is such an animal, I could see him asking for the ball in two games of a three game series. And pitching well, too.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)
Bear in mind that technically speaking, Cleveland controls its own destiny to a far greater extent than the Sox, so Det will have to pick its poison.

If I'm Leyland, I just ride the 5-man out and not get too cute with the using Verlander.

If he does that, Verlander sets up this way:

8-11 at Cle

8-16 vs Min

8-22 at TB

8-27 at Min

9-1 vs KC

9-6 at Cle

9-12 at Chi

9-17 at Oak

9-23 vs Bal

9-28 vs Cle (if needed, last day of season)

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
This four game winning streak has been fun, but when I look at the Tigers remaining schedule, I realize the Sox won't catch them unless they get ungodly hot.

The Tigers have this left:

Cleveland - 12

Minnesota - 9

Baltimore - 7

Chicago - 6

Kansas City - 6

Tampa Bay - 4

Oakland - 4

And let's be clear, no matter how close the Sox get in the end, if they come up short, Kenny and Ozzie both have to go.

I love that Detroit and Cleveland will be beating each other up for twelve games. That could prove to be big for the Sox.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
If I'm Leyland, I just ride the 5-man out and not get too cute with the using Verlander.

If he does that, Verlander sets up this way:

8-11 at Cle

8-16 vs Min

8-22 at TB

8-27 at Min

9-1 vs KC

9-6 at Cle

9-12 at Chi

9-17 at Oak

9-23 vs Bal

9-28 vs Cle (if needed, last day of season)

Except they could very well panic and pitch Verlander every four days if the races gets close.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
what's the point of winning a division if the only starting pitcher you have worth a damn in the postseason has 250+ innings under his belt by October 1st

It's better than not winning the division and him only throwing 220 innings. See Milwaukee in 2008.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)
what's the point of winning a division if the only starting pitcher you have worth a damn in the postseason has 250+ innings under his belt by October 1st

And why do we care how the Tigers go on to do? All that matters to me is if they make the playoffs instead of the Sox.

And why do you want the Sox in 1st place by Labor Day? You are insanely accurate at predicting/starting these things. I would strongly suggest predicting that the Sox are in sole possession of first place by the end of the day on September 28th.

(which, speaking of, it's going to be really weird having the season end on a Wednesday)

I think relieving the pressure on DD and Leyland with those contract extensions was meant to mitigate Leyland's tendency to push Verlander to the brink of his arm falling off...you do wonder how long his arm/shoulder/elbow can hold up with that kind of workload. Can anyone who's a "freak of nature" like that continue to defy the odds forever? Bo Jackson certainly didn't. Nolan Ryan, for the most part, did.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)
It's better than not winning the division and him only throwing 220 innings. See Milwaukee in 2008.

Not if your pitcher has dead arm the next season

I don't care how superhuman Verlander seems, the aggregate innings are going to have an adverse effect on him eventually.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)

I don't care how superhuman Verlander seems, the aggregate innings are going to have an adverse effect on him eventually.

If the guy is conditioned to do it, and has the body to do it, why? Nolan Ryan did it until his mid 40's.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
If the guy is conditioned to do it, and has the body to do it, why? Nolan Ryan did it until his mid 40's.

There have been plenty of times that I thought Verlander was going to fall off considerably and he didn't. Part of me wants to say though that you can only condition the elbow and shoulder to a certain extent, and part of me gets that it might be perfectly natural for him. I don't know what to think or say.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)

Sabathia went to New York the next season, had 230 IP during the season, 35 during the playoffs, and the Yankees won the World Series. CC hasn't lost a beat yet.

Some pitchers can handle it and from all signs, it appears that Verlander is one of those guys.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
There have been plenty of times that I thought Verlander was going to fall off considerably and he didn't. Part of me wants to say though that you can only condition the elbow and shoulder to a certain extent, and part of me gets that it might be perfectly natural for him. I don't know what to think or say.

I can see doubting him a few years ago, but the guy has done this year in and year out.

2006- 186.1 IP

2007- 201.2 IP

2008- 201.0 IP

2009- 240.0 IP

2010- 224.2 IP

If you really expected a regression because of IP it would have been in 2010, and his numbers were pretty close to the same as the year before. This year his numbers are worthy of Cy Young talk.

The guy just seems to be an innings eating machine.