Home s*** Home

clyons

I could develop quite a thick skin if I was making 9 or 10 figures a year, I know that much.

A lot of people have very stressful jobs, and they do just fine with them. They even excel at them. I work at a job where if I screw up, even just a little bit, the lights might be turned off in Las Vegas. I manage to handle it just fine.

For whatever reason, Carlos Quentin has been terrible at home this year. But Alex Rios has actually been quite a bit better at home versus on the road. Gordon Beckham has been horrible at home. Juan Pierre has been very solid at home. AJ has been terrible on the road.

There just really isn't much rhyme or reason to it.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
So the offense is worst at home, the pitching is worst at home, and it has nothing to do with the negatives that happen when the Sox are at home. Yeah.

Your theory has too many holes.

- Booing didn't start until June.

- Only 2 players have been targeted by the booing, Rios and Dunn

- Rios has better numbers at home than on the road

- The pitching is worst at home even though pitchers aren't booed

- The amount of booing is not even excessive. It happens a couple of ABs per week

This conversation is humorous. The players are grown men, playing a game, making millions of dollars. And the fans booing when they strike out or give up a bunch of runs is going to make them play worse next time? Give me a break.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
This conversation is humorous. The players are grown men, playing a game, making millions of dollars. And the fans booing when they strike out or give up a bunch of runs is going to make them play worse next time? Give me a break.

Well we do need to remember they are human beings. And I do think some players are more sensitive to it than others. I think it's fairly clear that athletes do enjoy being supported and inspired by the fans. And I wouldn't doubt if many of them do have a desire to please the fans.

So I would not be shocked if Adam Dunn feels more pressure in front of the home crowd to perform well. I would not be shocked if that causes him to press. It's human nature, regardless of what their paycheck says at the end of the week.

I just don't think that the disparity between the home and road performance can really be blamed on the fans. Very slightly influenced, perhaps, but not a materially significant cause.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
Well we do need to remember they are human beings. And I do think some players are more sensitive to it than others. I think it's fairly clear that athletes do enjoy being supported and inspired by the fans. And I wouldn't doubt if many of them do have a desire to please the fans.

So I would not be shocked if Adam Dunn feels more pressure in front of the home crowd to perform well. I would not be shocked if that causes him to press. It's human nature, regardless of what their paycheck says at the end of the week.

I just don't think that the disparity between the home and road performance can really be blamed on the fans. Very slightly influenced, perhaps, but not a materially significant cause.

I agree that Adam Dunn probably feels a ton of pressure to play well at home. But to say the team as a whole plays worse at home because of booing (when something bad happens) is extreme.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)

- The amount of booing is not even excessive. It happens a couple of ABs per week

The idea that players because they make lots of money, are somehow immune to embarrassment is laughable. Just because you can hit or throw a baseball well, doesn't mean you are superman.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
The idea that players because they make lots of money, are somehow immune to embarrassment is laughable. Just because you can hit or throw a baseball well, doesn't mean you are superman.

Not much of a retort to the facts I laid out in the previous post.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)

Not enough. The booing is clearly the reason the Sox stink at home. Our fans are terrible.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
Not much of a retort to the facts I laid out in the previous post.

The play of the team and the individual players spoken about has gotten worse as the season has gone on while at home. Rios numbers at home have gotten worse as the season has gone on. Dunn's number are worse at home.

Also don't think that just because only a couple of guys are getting booed that the entire team doesn't notice. Do you think the next hitter isn't hearing that as he goes to the plate?

Again, it doesn't strike you as odd that both of the offense and the pitching both are way worse at home?

But then again you aren't exactly presenting anything on why this happens, so I guess that should be stated as well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
If there is anything we can point to that is actually a significant data point here it is Carlos Quentin's production at home versus on the road.

He has a .717 OPS at home versus a 1.004 OPS on the road.

It's probably lower because Dunn has been booed a few times.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
If there is anything we can point to that is actually a significant data point here it is Carlos Quentin's production at home versus on the road.

He has a .717 OPS at home versus a 1.004 OPS on the road.

In 2010, his home OPS was .943, while on the road it was .690.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
The guys who are struggling the most also have played the worst, and are getting the harshest receptions. Their numbers are also worse at home.

It's always anything to deflect the blame from the people actually responsible with you, isn't it? As long as it's something that reflects negatively on the Sox or the White Sox franchise as a whole, you'll make an excuse that it's somebody else.

Now it's the fans because we're such big meanies. I mean, seriously. You can't be f***ing serious with this argument. You can't be sitting there at your computer and actually believing what you are writing. You simply can't.

I don't know what it is about you and a few other posters on this site, but you never attack the players, managers, or their performances. Instead, you take the aggression and disappointment with the team and you direct it at the posters and other fans.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
It's always anything to deflect the blame from the people actually responsible with you, isn't it? As long as it's something that reflects negatively on the Sox or the White Sox franchise as a whole, you'll make an excuse that it's somebody else.

Now it's the fans because we're such big meanies. I mean, seriously. You can't be f***ing serious with this argument. You can't be sitting there at your computer and actually believing what you are writing. You simply can't.

I don't know what it is about you and a few other posters on this site, but you never attack the players, managers, or their performances. Instead, you take the aggression and disappointment with the team and you direct it at the posters and other fans.

Actually I am the one of the few people who has tried holding the players responsible for their play all year long instead of Ozzie, Kenny, Greg, the beer vendor, or whoever the target of the day is.

Instead of actually looking for a reason to enjoy baseball this year, you find all of the negatives and then spend all day complaining about them.

I don't get that mentality at all. Why do you want to be miserable?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
Actually I am the one of the few people who has tried holding the players responsible for their play all year long instead of Ozzie, Kenny, Greg, the beer vendor, or whoever the target of the day is.

Instead of actually looking for a reason to enjoy baseball this year, you find all of the negatives and then spend all day complaining about them.

I don't get that mentality at all. Why do you want to be miserable?

The team makes me miserable with their play. It isn't just the players. It's the players and management.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)

Players do listen to the fans and it does bother them. They discuss it in the locker room before and after the game. It does effect their play even though try to ignore it.

It obviously didn't effect the whole season bit as the difficulties steam rolled through the season it can compound the problem. I'm not saying they don't deserve it because many players have had horrible years. Most of these guys were coddled their whole lives and when someone like Dunn is thrown into a spotlight and doesn't perform, they often don't know how to deal with it. These aren't robots. They're usually prima donnas who are more sensitve then the average person.

For you to think that it doesn't effect them as mutli-million dollar prima donnas is laughable.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
And you are responsible for your own misery if you know that the team will fail, but watch it anyway.

I will, because I'm a fan that wants the team to begin to make the correct moves, not a fan who will gladly make any excuse to allow the team to continue down the wrong path.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
I will, because I'm a fan that wants the team to begin to make the correct moves, not a fan who will gladly make any excuse to allow the team to continue down the wrong path.

The biggest issue with this viewpoint is fans, at least the vast vast vast majority, don't know what the correct moves are either.

I always get a chuckle out of the arrogance of the fans that think they have all the answers...

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
Players do listen to the fans and it does bother them. They discuss it in the locker room before and after the game. It does effect their play even though try to ignore it.

It obviously didn't effect the whole season bit as the difficulties steam rolled through the season it can compound the problem. I'm not saying they don't deserve it because many players have had horrible years. Most of these guys were coddled their whole lives and when someone like Dunn is thrown into a spotlight and doesn't perform, they often don't know how to deal with it. These aren't robots. They're usually prima donnas who are more sensitve then the average person.

For you to think that it doesn't effect them as mutli-million dollar prima donnas is laughable.

I'm sure it affects them, and I don't believe I said otherwise. But they fully deserve the boos they get, and to blame the fans for it in any way is laughable. I suppose fans should sit on their hands and only remove them to politely clap each time a player has a success. Otherwise, deathly quiet.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)

Too bad the facts don't jive with your outlandish theory.

Again:

- Team ERA is better on the road even though the pitching staff isn't being booed

- One of the 2 players being booed at (Rios) is actually putting up better numbers at home

- Booing didn't start until around June. The team has sucked prior to the booing.

But I guess any excuse to absolve the players and management is a good one.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
The biggest issue with this viewpoint is fans, at least the vast vast vast majority, don't know what the correct moves are either.

I always get a chuckle out of the arrogance of the fans that think they have all the answers...

I don't have all of the answers, but it didn't take a genius to see that this team has been steadily going down the wrong path basically since 2007. Changes have been becoming more and more necessary, but the franchise has been in absolute denial about it.