Oney versus Valentine

southsider2k5

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
So after spending the last 4 months trashing this team and it's manager you have a problem with this incredibly tame comment made by a sportscaster?

No, what I was saying is I have no problem with Oney's response to Valentine's comment. Personally, say whatever you want about this s*** team, but for people to try to turn this into an anti-Oney thread (where it was headed) was silly.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
We're talking about twitter here. Not much space to get overly analytical.

That limitation doesn't mandate or excuse middle-school cattiness. Professionalism doesn't begin at 141 characters.

He fired a zinger for attention and got it, just as he wanted. Oney only gave him more.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
No, what I was saying is I have no problem with Oney's response to Valentine's comment. Personally, say whatever you want about this s*** team, but for people to try to turn this into an anti-Oney thread (where it was headed) was silly.

Maybe you don't have a problem with it, but most people do. Is he gonna go after every single person that criticizes his dad's performance? It's part of being a MLB manager, and it's part of the reason you are paid so handsomely. Valentine is paid to analyze the league and provide his opinions. And he never took any personal jabs at Ozzie, just asked why the teams is such an underachiever and why they seem to have no leader?

You have criticized Ozzie this year, should Oney start e-mailing you and tweeting you? "How many games have you ever won in the majors Steve?"

As far as I'm concerned, if you take to Twitter to criticize other people, there no longer are any professional courtesies expected. Twitter is basically the wild west in terms of opining on topics/people/etc., so as long as Valentine chooses to use that medium, he should expect this kind of response.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)
I don't necessarily think it's a shot directly at Ozzie. None of the players have shown any sense of leadership this entire season as well. Looking at the team from the outside, you don't get a sense of leadership from anyone (front office, management, or players). I would ask the same question. Who is actually leading this team?

That's what I took from it. And that is one of the reasons I didn't really support Konerko as captain. The guy is just way too soft-spoken to have that job.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
That's what I took from it. And that is one of the reasons I didn't really support Konerko as captain. The guy is just way too soft-spoken to have that job.

so u have to be a loud mouth like peavy? lol

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
so u have to be a loud mouth like peavy? lol

No, but there can be a nice middle ground. It seems to me that Konerko has the same mindset as the management and front office of just waiting it out. Remember when it was said that Konerko/Dye/Thome told KW to not make any moves and that the team was fine when a move or two would've obviously helped the team? A good captain would say what was necessary, and he would get into someone's face for lack of hustle and such. Konerko himself doesn't even seem to hustle that much, but he might just be that slow. I really don't think that Konerko is the kind of guy that would pull another player aside to chide them, but more of just a nice guy that nobody has a problem with.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
No, but there can be a nice middle ground. It seems to me that Konerko has the same mindset as the management and front office of just waiting it out. Remember when it was said that Konerko/Dye/Thome told KW to not make any moves and that the team was fine when a move or two would've obviously helped the team? A good captain would say what was necessary, and he would get into someone's face for lack of hustle and such. Konerko himself doesn't even seem to hustle that much, but he might just be that slow. I really don't think that Konerko is the kind of guy that would pull another player aside to chide them, but more of just a nice guy that nobody has a problem with.

I agree...I don't like PK and Mark as our "leaders."

I understand they are good clubhouse guys, but this team has been lacking a killer instinct since, umm, forever, and it makes you wonder if this is the reason why...

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)

A good captain would call out his players for struggling in front of the GM or in front of the media?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
A good captain would call out his players for struggling in front of the GM or in front of the media?

Well, if PK has been calling out players in private, it has never, ever been mentioned by anyone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)

Ah yes, exactly what I said.

If KW came to Konerko and asked him if changes were necessary, I'm sure he did it in front of the media or his teammates.

And yes, if Konerko had ever called out another teammate, I'm sure we would have heard of it at some point over the years from a beat writer.

regardless of the back and forth between oney and BV, resorting to the "what have you done" burn when you got yourself canned from a major league job(that your dad got you) is pretty lame. BV has done more in his lifetime in the game of baseball then Oney could ever dream of

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
Which is exactly how it should be.

You and I both know it would have been mentioned by someone by now.

Not a single player has ever said this to the media, not Hawk, nor Ozzie.

I have an incredibly difficult time believing this has been the case all-along without anyone insomuch as mentioning it.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
Ah yes, exactly what I said.

If KW came to Konerko and asked him if changes were necessary, I'm sure he did it in front of the media or his teammates.

And yes, if Konerko had ever called out another teammate, I'm sure we would have heard of it at some point over the years from a beat writer.

The writers in Chicago are spineless. The only person they really target it Oney when it comes to the Sox. They never really report on what is said in the clubhouse until after it is done.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
The writers in Chicago are spineless. The only person they really target it Oney when it comes to the Sox. They never really report on what is said in the clubhouse until after it is done.

But with guys like Swisher, who was universally hated upon his departure, don't you think we would have heard a story about Konerko confronting him at some point after he left?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
But with guys like Swisher, who was universally hated upon his departure, don't you think we would have heard a story about Konerko confronting him at some point after he left?

In Swisher's case? Probably. If it had happened to say Rios this year? No way.