AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER

southsider2k5

Crain sucks, Morel sucks.

Where were Frasor or Sale? I guess Ozzie considers them overworked, but he just about killed Crain tonight, too. You just knew Ozzie was going to leave Danks in too long before calling in the pen, and then he stuck with Crain too long and was REALLY fortunate to escape with a win. Santos was great....once again Danks ALMOST wet the bed but certainly didn't look like the type of pitcher you'd pay $14-15 per million for season for 4-5-6 years.

The 3B (Bell) swinging on that change-up a foot off the plate against Danks was key. So was AJ's catch of that pop-up.

A rare late innings rally. Lucky for us that their middle relief sucks.

Alexei simply had a horrible approach at the plate tonight.

I really hope that Morel isn't our starting 3B next year. Seemingly, he needs at least another half season or more in AAA.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)
A lot of Soxtalk folks take baths......

Santos 3 K's on 14 pitches

Poor ozzie managaing couldn't hurt them

Jenks would've blown the save

Good to see them hit

I haven't taken a bath in years. :unsure:

I was at the game, before the game we saw Cox and on his way into the dugout my cousin said to him "hey Cox, don't send Konerko!" (I guess Cox, or Ozzie said this at Soxfest). Cox laughed and said "yeah, good idea, especially with his sore knee." Then Konerko gets thrown out at 3rd. Facepalm. But at least they won... can't be mad about that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 03:36 AM)
Crain sucks, Morel sucks.

Where were Frasor or Sale? I guess Ozzie considers them overworked, but he just about killed Crain tonight, too. You just knew Ozzie was going to leave Danks in too long before calling in the pen, and then he stuck with Crain too long and was REALLY fortunate to escape with a win. Santos was great....once again Danks ALMOST wet the bed but certainly didn't look like the type of pitcher you'd pay $14-15 per million for season for 4-5-6 years.

The 3B (Bell) swinging on that change-up a foot off the plate against Danks was key. So was AJ's catch of that pop-up.

A rare late innings rally. Lucky for us that their middle relief sucks.

Alexei simply had a horrible approach at the plate tonight.

I really hope that Morel isn't our starting 3B next year. Seemingly, he needs at least another half season or more in AAA.

Unusually negative after a win?

We need Crain to get his s*** together. The new guy from Toronto isn't the righty answer. Do you need to be reminded Frasor has sucked?

Morel at least is very good at defense.

Our late inning rally was good. Usually it doesn't matter if a team's relievers suck or not. We'll take it.

Lexi needs to start hitting some bombs. We need homers and lots of 'em if we hope to surge.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 11:02 PM)
Unusually negative after a win?

We need Crain to get his s*** together. The new guy from Toronto isn't the righty answer. Do you need to be reminded Frasor has sucked?

Morel at least is very good at defense.

Our late inning rally was good. Usually it doesn't matter if a team's relievers suck or not. We'll take it.

Lexi needs to start hitting some bombs. We need homers and lots of 'em if we hope to surge.

You're accusing him of being negative, but you're getting all over Crain, our best RP for most of the year, and Frasor, a guy who has only been in a few games for us and has been good his entire career?

Greg, that Morel play almost ended up costing us the game.

This game was absolutely pivotal. You have to secure the ball with two hands there. If he's going to have a sub 600 OPS offensively, he has to be BETTER than Joe Crede defensively, and he's just not at that level yet.

Watch Alexei Ramirez's at-bats closely.

Look at how many balls that he actually takes and hits in the direction they're pitched. He's turning and burning on practically every pitch (outside or not) and grounding out to 3B or SS the majority of the time. He should be a 290-310 hitter and has ended up regressing from his Silver Slugger season last year. Then watch Quentin's two doubles to the opposite field. What does he normally do with those pitches? He's out and around them and pulling them into double plays. We just don't have enough speed and athleticism up and down our line-up to pull the ball on the ground to the left side so much. It has killed rallies and based loaded or RISP position situations all season.

Gordon Beckham actually had a great at-bat last night. It wasn't his homer or the AB he fouled off a bunch of pitches and then weakly popped to the left side/LF. It was the ball he lined out to the RF with RISP. How many times has Gordon hit line drives to the right side? That's the hitter he used to be. He could turn and burn on offspeed stuff, but he took fastballs on the outside half up the RCF gap for doubles consistently, or down the RF line. All the balls he has hits on in that direction this year are "seeing eye" singles or duck snorts. I bet there's only 5-10 balls all seasons that he has blistered in that direction.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 01:31 AM)
Gordon Beckham actually had a great at-bat last night. It wasn't his homer or the AB he fouled off a bunch of pitches and then weakly popped to the left side/LF. It was the ball he lined out to the RF with RISP. How many times has Gordon hit line drives to the right side? That's the hitter he used to be. He could turn and burn on offspeed stuff, but he took fastballs on the outside half up the RCF gap for doubles consistently, or down the RF line. All the balls he has hits on in that direction this year are "seeing eye" singles or duck snorts. I bet there's only 5-10 balls all seasons that he has blistered in that direction.

This is a good point, and that was what I really loved about GB when he was a rookie. Hitting the ball hard to all parts of the field...and that was exactly why I thought we had an All Star with him. It was a great win- and I thought it was ironic that Rios, Dunn and Beckham had 3 hits in the row- arguably the 3 most battered players on this forum in that order, and it was the first time all year we've seen them all produce in one game I swear.

What a different lineup it is when they are hitting. I've gotten used to thinking Rios/Dunn/Beckham were automatic outs. We gotta keep the pressure on tonight and Ozzie should give 2 days off to Crain, he looked horrible last night and we were very lucky to escape.

Leaving Crain in there was one of those bad % moves that we managed to play over last night. In the final hitter that Crain faced, if you look at the pitch trax, you'll see exactly where the pitches were thrown. 3 of the 5 couldn't have been more of the center of the plate.

Good win and let's get em again later tonight.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 10:20 PM)
I was at the game, before the game we saw Cox and on his way into the dugout my cousin said to him "hey Cox, don't send Konerko!" (I guess Cox, or Ozzie said this at Soxfest). Cox laughed and said "yeah, good idea, especially with his sore knee." Then Konerko gets thrown out at 3rd. Facepalm. But at least they won... can't be mad about that.

Cox is probably the coolest guy on this team.