Sergio scoreless in last 28 times on road

southsider2k5

I think we need to go to China, India and Brazil and just starting signing anyone who can throw 93+ on a radar gun.

Would probably work out better in the end than our Broadway/McCulloch strategy.

Give me 25-50 of those guys and you're more likely to have a Santos or Sale than throwing money at high draft picks.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...s-a-rivera-mark

Sox's Santos topples a Rivera mark

By Doug Padilla

BALTIMORE -- In just his first season as a closer, Sergio Santos has already eliminated one Mariano Rivera record.

When the White Sox right-hander closed out the Baltimore Orioles on Thursday for his 26th save he ran his streak to 25 consecutive scoreless outings on the road to start the season. That broke a tie with Rivera for the best ever.

Going back to last season, Santos has delivered 30 consecutive scoreless outings on the road.

A White Sox official waited until after the game to inform Santos about the accomplishment.

“I didn’t know there was a record,” Santos confessed. “I knew I hadn’t given up a run at all on the road. But it’s one of those things that just kind of happened. It just so happens I was pitching pretty good and it just so happened on the road.”

What might have gotten Santos to the record was advice he received from Rivera himself. Like he was at high-school homecoming and figuring out a way to ask the prettiest girl in school to dance, Santos wanted to pick Rivera’s brain when the team was in New York earlier this year but didn’t know how to break the ice.

On the last day of the series Santos finally approached his hero and the two chatted in the outfield during batting practice for over a half hour.

Most important among the questions Santos asked that day was how to deal with the pressure of the late innings with the game on the line. For the most part this year, Santos has looked like a cool customer with the game on the line.

“I’m lucky and fortunate it’s coming together,” Santos said. “I’m throwing strikes, which is my main goal and I can live with what happens if I’m throwing strikes.”

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 11:13 PM)
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...s-a-rivera-mark

Sox's Santos topples a Rivera mark

By Doug Padilla

BALTIMORE -- In just his first season as a closer, Sergio Santos has already eliminated one Mariano Rivera record.

When the White Sox right-hander closed out the Baltimore Orioles on Thursday for his 26th save he ran his streak to 25 consecutive scoreless outings on the road to start the season. That broke a tie with Rivera for the best ever.

Going back to last season, Santos has delivered 30 consecutive scoreless outings on the road.

A White Sox official waited until after the game to inform Santos about the accomplishment.

“I didn’t know there was a record,” Santos confessed. “I knew I hadn’t given up a run at all on the road. But it’s one of those things that just kind of happened. It just so happens I was pitching pretty good and it just so happened on the road.”

What might have gotten Santos to the record was advice he received from Rivera himself. Like he was at high-school homecoming and figuring out a way to ask the prettiest girl in school to dance, Santos wanted to pick Rivera’s brain when the team was in New York earlier this year but didn’t know how to break the ice.

On the last day of the series Santos finally approached his hero and the two chatted in the outfield during batting practice for over a half hour.

Most important among the questions Santos asked that day was how to deal with the pressure of the late innings with the game on the line. For the most part this year, Santos has looked like a cool customer with the game on the line.

“I’m lucky and fortunate it’s coming together,” Santos said. “I’m throwing strikes, which is my main goal and I can live with what happens if I’m throwing strikes.”

What an awful write up. They mention that Mo gave him advice, and then they didn't ask what it was? Ugh.

Maybe he did and Sergio didn't want to give away anything...guess that's possible.

That was the same thought everyone was probably having while reading it, exactly what did Mariano say to him?

MUCH BETTER ARTICLE on the Mo/Santos meeting:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...ice-from-rivera

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 07:56 AM)
Maybe he did and Sergio didn't want to give away anything...guess that's possible.

That was the same thought everyone was probably having while reading it, exactly what did Mariano say to him?

MUCH BETTER ARTICLE on the Mo/Santos meeting:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...ice-from-rivera

Way better. Even if Serg didn't want to spill what Mo said to him, then you put that in the article. That exchange is the focal point of the story.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/i...ic-in-the-bronx

Reliever of the Week

Sergio Santos of the Chicago White Sox was dominant this past week, collecting three saves in four appearances since Saturday. Santos did not allow a hit or walk in that span while striking out seven. In eight plate appearances that reached two strikes, hitters swung and missed on his slider and fastball a combined 75 percent of the time.