To Sequel or not to Sequel

juddling

Was thinking about movies that i wish would have gotten sequels and those that did and i wish i never saw so i'll throw it out to the board.

I remember back after seeing Maverick with Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster and thinking it was a perfect movie for a sequel. Heck...the whole ending of the movie set up a sequel but alas it was never to be. I always wondered if they even talked about doing a sequel.

On the other end of the spectrum.......

Just a couple years ago I witnessed one of my favorite movie characters in a sequel so sh*tty i almost cried. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put Snake Plisken on a surfboard for God's sake. Escape from LA was so bad. i could have waited another 10 or so years to see it again.

It's early, and I've only had one cup of coffee, so I may not be thinking too clearly. But one movie I'd like to see a sequel for is Cloverfield. As far as movies that did not need a sequel, The Descent. The first one was so good, and the sequel was just another bad horror movie.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 06:36 AM)
It's early, and I've only had one cup of coffee, so I may not be thinking too clearly. But one movie I'd like to see a sequel for is Cloverfield. As far as movies that did not need a sequel, The Descent. The first one was so good, and the sequel was just another bad horror movie.

Just saw Cloverfield for the first time yesterday (thank you Netflix). that is another movie that looked like it was setting up a sequel of sorts.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
The first one to pop out to me was The Hangover Part II. Definitely didn't need to be made, and certainly didn't need to be as unfunny as it was.

This. Terrible.

I'd love to see a sequel to the "Big Lebowski" if all the players returned and the Coen Bros. were into it. Of course, it could be an epic tale. Those are some characters I wouldn't mind hanging out with again.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
This. Terrible.

I'd love to see a sequel to the "Big Lebowski" if all the players returned and the Coen Bros. were into it. Of course, it could be an epic tale. Those are some characters I wouldn't mind hanging out with again.

Or a prequel so Donnie could be in it. They could use the Tron age defying effect.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
The horrible sequel debate begins and ends with Caddyshack II.

It may begin there, but it does not end there.

Slap Shot 2 and Major League 3 are every bit as bad as Caddyshack 2.

I think Rocky 2 is the only sequel I've ever liked as much as I liked the original.

I hope they make a sequel to "Inception", and I would like "Inception 2" to begin at where the first movie left off, where Cobb is hugging his kids. Except a mysterious man comes over and kills Cobb's kids. Enraged, Cobb kills the man, but then everything around him starts crumbling as Cobb realizes he was in that man's dream. The whole movie would basically be an inception on Cobb to convince him that he was dreaming, with the theme of "kill the dreamer" where all the dreamers are sent to limbo when Cobb kills them, allowing Cobb to wake up to a lighter level of dreams until he gets to the final dream and sees Mal. Mal kills the dreamer in that dream and tells the dreamer that she'll rescue all the dreamers from Limbo. The dream tarts falling apart as Cobb finally wakes up to reality. Cobb's father and kids great him as he wakes up in his own bed, then he noticed he was connected to the dream maching thingy, and that i's connected in another room. He tracks the thing to the other room where the machine is also hooked up to Mal and the other dreamers. Mal is still sleeping, as she's rescuing all the dreamers from Limbo so that they won't be trapped in Limbo forever and in a vegetative state in reality. Cobb doesn't believe he's in reality and is convinced he is still dreaming, so he grabs a gun and kills the sleeping Mal, to the horror of his father and kids, who screamed that he killed his wife and the other dreamers. Cobb sees Mal's clenched hands loosen up as she dies and drops a spinning top, Mal's spinning top. Cobb realizes he made a grave mistake, "No!" He screams, as he grabs the top and spins it on the coffee table to prove that he was still dreaming, except the top always stop spinning, and Cob realizes he's in reality.

THAT is how I'd like to see Inception 2 be like. :-)