Pale Hose vs. Orange Birds

Heads22

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
He doesn't get to play enough. Not saying he should. He was batting something like .270 ish last year. He knows how to hit. I remember he hit a triple sometime this year, how many triples do the SOX have this year? He moved Pierre into 3rd for the first run last night did he not? Could you trust ARAM2 with that task in the 2 hole?

I'd say you are concentrating on the negatives too much. OV is a decent bat.

Omar Vizquel has as many triples this season as AJ Pierzynski.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
20 years ago today, Wilson Alvarez threw a no-hitter at Baltimore.

I'll take Buehrle's 3rd no-hitter tonight, and will accept nothing less.

Wow high standards

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 09:10 PM)
He doesn't get to play enough. Not saying he should. He was batting something like .270 ish last year. He knows how to hit. I remember he hit a triple sometime this year, how many triples do the SOX have this year? He moved Pierre into 3rd for the first run last night did he not? Could you trust ARAM2 with that task in the 2 hole?

In a 4 run game, I'm not going to congratulate someone for advancing the runner.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
20 years ago today, Wilson Alvarez threw a no-hitter at Baltimore.

I'll take Buehrle's 3rd no-hitter tonight, and will accept nothing less.

I remember that game well. He was relatively new to the rotation too, if I recall correctly. Had been primarily pitching out of the pen to start his career. After the final out he looked totally dumbfounded like he had no idea what had just happened.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
I remember that game well. He was relatively new to the rotation too, if I recall correctly. Had been primarily pitching out of the pen to start his career. After the final out he looked totally dumbfounded like he had no idea what had just happened.

It was his first game with the White Sox.

He had pitched for the Rangers one game a couple years earlier.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
Since Mid-May, Vizquel is hitting .204 with a .463 OPS.

So who plays SS if ARAM2 needs a break?

Omar is decent can you really sit there and deny that?

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
Greg, you're six days too late with the Rios comment.

Although it sure would be nice if he knew how to bunt...not that Dunn or Beckham would have driven the runs in during the 8th.

Rios isn't fooling me with one good week.

I want DeAza.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)
Yes

Omar batting second really truly hurts our chances of winning on a given day.

Juan better have amazing days if we hope to win when Omar is hitting second.

Juan had two hits yesterday and it still didn't help too much.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)

Lillibridge.

Just won't happen with Ozzie as manager and Omar on the roster.

Look at how many games Brent has played there in his career. A lot more than the outfield.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
Omar batting second really truly hurts our chances of winning on a given day.

Juan better have amazing days if we hope to win when Omar is hitting second.

Juan had two hits yesterday and it still didn't help too much.

Our #2 hitter wasn't our big problem last night - our #7 hitter was.

Omar was 1 for 5, with one productive out (advancing Pierre to 3rd to help score the first run) that was also his only LOB. He advanced Pierre to 3rd again in the 7th to keep the rally going, but then PK grounded out again, this time for the third out of the inning.

Meanwhile our #7 hitter was 0 for 4, left 5 on base including two in the 8th, and was the only hitter in the lineup not to reach 1B safely all game.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
Our #2 hitter wasn't our big problem last night - our #7 hitter was.

Omar was 1 for 5, with one productive out (advancing Pierre to 3rd to help score the first run) that was also his only LOB. He advanced Pierre to 3rd again in the 7th to keep the rally going, but then PK grounded out again, this time for the third out of the inning.

Meanwhile our #7 hitter was 0 for 4, left 5 on base including two in the 8th, and was the only hitter in the lineup not to reach 1B safely all game.

One hitter in the line-up isn't the reason you win or lose the game.

thanks,

Chris Rongey

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)

Omar is 44. He's not even decent after having a random renaissance year last year.

But Lillibridge could play SS, Escobar could have Vizquel's roster spot, and I'm sure even Kuhn could do it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 06:07 PM)
Omar is 44. He's not even decent after having a random renaissance year last year.

But Lillibridge could play SS, Escobar could have Vizquel's roster spot, and I'm sure even Kuhn could do it.

Escobar's one where he's young enough and raw enough that his bat will still benefit from everyday at bats in AAA.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
One hitter in the line-up isn't the reason you win or lose the game.

thanks,

Chris Rongey

Agree, but abysmal production out of one hitter that the team was counting on to fill a key position in the lineup (3, 4 or 5) over the course of an entire season can indeed be the difference between the team winning enough games to take the division or sitting at home in October.

I have even heard the esteemed Chris Rongey say this, on this past week's White Sox Weekly when he was using all sorts of negative adjectives to describe Adam Dunn's performance this year.

The Sox are now 5-10 in extra inning games - games tied after 9 innings. Those 10 losses are the easiest games to point to where a single well-timed hit from our DH could have easily won the game. One run losses are the next easiest games where a little more production from our DH could have made enough of a difference to put us in first place. A three run bomb every now and then would also be appreciated.