Where are the Sox....

Paulie4Pres

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
1.) How many games did Juan cost us? I love how this has become a commonly accepted belief on here that somehow Juan Pierre has cost us as much as Dunn/Rios, etc. Bulls***. AJ and Juan have had surprisingly good seasons and both get no love.

2.) Yes we do. We know how bad Adam has been, how historically bad.

I approve. Juan has single handley won atleast 3-4 games I can remember this season. Probably more. Dunn has won about 2 but he's had so many more opportunities to win more.

Edited by pettie4sox

18/31 steals when he led the majors in 2010 and when that's his main weapon....that's not surprisingly good.

His defense is worse than last year.

He's making $8.5 million (part of it is subsidized from LA, granted).

Sure, he's had a lot of clutch hits in the last two months and his average has risen to a decent number for a singles hitter, but it's not like he's a bargain by any stretch of the imagination.

If Dunn/Rios/Peavy and Beckham didn't exist on this team to disappoint us, Pierre would return to his previously vilified status (of course, if they were all hitting and pitching well, we'd be in 1st place going away and Pierre's average season wouldn't matter much). Morel's a bit harder to pick on as an often overmatched rookie making the league minimum.

With .163 Average, Adam Dunn No Longer Considered A Baseball Player

CHICAGO—After his batting average slumped to a historically low .163 this week, White Sox DH Adam Dunn received an official notice from Major League Baseball Thursday informing him that he no longer met the minimum requirements to be labeled an official baseball player. "He's certainly allowed to continue playing baseball, but he cannot legally refer to himself as a 'baseball player,'" an MLB spokesperson said in a statement, adding that Dunn would now be called what the league refers to as a ‘baseball participant.’ “We are confident Adam will eventually regain his abilities. For now, however, we think it's best to disassociate his horrible hitting from the great game of baseball." When asked for comment, Dunn expressed relief and claimed that joining the ranks of players like Mike Cameron and Jorge Posada would at least take some pressure off of him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 07:47 AM)
Hollywood Guillen also makes the f***ing line ups.

Yes, the lineup is the responsibility of the manager, just like the roster composition is the responsibility of the general manager, but I firmly believe that Kenny and Ozzie discussed the Dunn situation earlier this summer and jointly decided to bat him 3-4-5 no matter what, as a show of confidence with the hope that it would help Dunn break out of his massive slump and get going for the rest of the season. I base this on the public statements made by Kenny and Ozzie both backing Dunn and both saying they had spoken with him and expressed their confidence in him. Also, Ozzie is normally very candid about calling out his players when they suck, and even now he's been guarded in his comments about Dunn's performance (or lack thereof): I think Ozzie has been told by Kenny or the team psychologist not to criticize Dunn publicly since it will just make Dunn's mental state of mind worse.

It wasn't until just recently that Kenny publicly stated that he told Ozzie to bench whomever he wanted to, regardless of contract. Lo and behold De Aza materialized, Rios sat for a bit, and Dunn is now sitting versus lefties and batting 7th.

We can argue that this should have happened sooner, but I do think Dunn's lineup position was a joint Kenny / Ozzie decision.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
18/31 steals when he led the majors in 2010 and when that's his main weapon....that's not surprisingly good.

His defense is worse than last year.

He's making $8.5 million (part of it is subsidized from LA, granted).

Sure, he's had a lot of clutch hits in the last two months and his average has risen to a decent number for a singles hitter, but it's not like he's a bargain by any stretch of the imagination.

If Dunn/Rios/Peavy and Beckham didn't exist on this team to disappoint us, Pierre would return to his previously vilified status (of course, if they were all hitting and pitching well, we'd be in 1st place going away and Pierre's average season wouldn't matter much). Morel's a bit harder to pick on as an often overmatched rookie making the league minimum.

Pierre may be not worth his salary, but few baseball players are.

People buried him early and most of those people won't admit he's had a nice season.

He's not great, but he's been decent in his final year in a WS uniform.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
Is it even possible for Dunn to bat .200 by the end of the season? Does anyone know how he'd have to perform to reach that?

Yes it is possible. It is also possible for Dunn to lead the league in batting average. A hit in each of his next 100 ABs would put him at .351

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 04:04 AM)
And most younger players are grossly underpaid, whats your point?

Somebody said Pierre was overpaid and I was defending him.

Most veterans on teams are grossly overpaid.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)
Somebody said Pierre was overpaid and I was defending him.

Most veterans on teams are grossly overpaid.

Unfortunately the Sox have several of those guys. Pierre, Dunn, Rios, Peavy. As far as veterans go, only PK and Buehrle are earning their keep. (AJP is borderline)