Why does Ozzie motivate opponents more than SOX?

caulfield12

If it was sweeter for Chen because of the derisive comments by White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen after his last victory over Chicago. Let’s just say Chen refused to revel in any revenge.

“I have no problem with (Guillen),” Chen insisted. “He’s just trying to do what’s best for his team. I just go about my business and pitch my game. The satisfaction is that we stopped a (four-game) losing streak.”

Melky Cabrera’s three-run homer in the ninth inning against Matt Thornton broke open a tight game. That was no guarantee, though. Remember, Cabrera hit a three-run homer Wednesday in the ninth inning, and it wasn’t enough to prevent blowing a four-run lead.

No collapse this time.

“I had a good pitch to hit,” Cabrera said. “(Thornton) threw a slider, and I needed to do something because Bruce Chen was outstanding.”

Billy Butler staked the Royals to a 2-0 lead before Cabrera’s bomb. Butler had an RBI single in the first inning and a leadoff homer in the sixth — both against White Sox starter Zach Stewart.

Afterward, Butler admitted it was nice to get away from Tropicana Park and four days of strong Tampa Bay pitching performances.

“The Rays’ pitching staff was real good,” he said. “Let’s just leave it at that. It’s good to get here and put some runs on the board and win a ballgame.”

Chen baffled the White Sox for the third time this season by pitching six shutout innings before handing that two-run lead to the bullpen. He permitted just one hit, though he walked three and hit two.

The secret?

“They’re in our division, and I’ve faced them a lot,” Chen said. “So, obviously, I’ve been learning what works and what doesn’t work. I feel I’m more focused when I face them, and I make better pitches.”

And this time, Guillen offered only praise.

“Well, same old movie,” he said. “We did much better than the last time we faced him. This kid pitches well against us. We have one pitcher (each year) who always dominates our team.”

Chen, 7-5, has now yielded two runs and nine hits in 21 innings to the White Sox with two victories coming here at The Cell. TIP YOUR CAP!

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/12/30737...l#ixzz1UqdtgV7g

Maybe knowing you can pitch inside against the Sox, even hitting batters without fear of retaliation improves his odds. How many guys have to be hurt before we start fighting back? This has always been the case under Ozzie. He talks a tough game but then allows the opposing pitcher to throw it mercilessly at our guys. After A.J. got hit Butler gets hit. No discussion. An eye for eye every time ( except Quentin.)

Edited by since56

QUOTE (since56 @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 07:29 AM)
Maybe knowing you can pitch inside against the Sox, even hitting batters without fear of retaliation improves his odds. How many guys have to be hurt before we start fighting back? This has always been the case under Ozzie. He talks a tough game but then allows the opposing pitcher to throw it mercilessly at our guys. After A.J. got hit Butler gets hit. No discussion. An eye for eye every time ( except Quentin.)

well he used to tell them to retaliate (tracey,garland) but when he got critisized so bad for it , it kinda stop. but seriously, a pitcher needs a manager to tell him to do something? they should know and if they dont do it, they clearly dont want to

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 08:27 AM)
well he used to tell them to retaliate (tracey,garland) but when he got critisized so bad for it , it kinda stop. but seriously, a pitcher needs a manager to tell him to do something? they should know and if they dont do it, they clearly dont want to

He used to tell the media he would retaliate. Then the umpires would wait for Sox pitchers to throw inside. Ozzie gave the Sox a bad reputation among the umpires for throwing at hitters even though the reality was quite the opposite. The other managers picked up on it and now throw inside/at Sox hitters without hesitation knowing that Ozzie's teams never retaliate on the field, he just shoots his mouth off in the media.

Ozzie is all talk and it's just another example of why the Sox would be better off without him.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
Ozzie shouldn't have to tell his pitchers to retaliate. The pitchers should have enough f***ing balls to protect their team mates without having to be told.

I was thinking that last night.

I was thinking Thornton needs to plunk one of those young Royals on his own.

Stick a fastball in the ribs.

I'm resigned to the fact we're NOT getting over .500 this year. Just isn't going to happen.

Bad season all around. Manager, players, GM, owner, marketing department.

Rotten season.

One thing I like about Peavy. He seems to be a competitor.

I'd think a Royal is going down tonight.

Edited by greg775

I don't see how you can be motivated for baseball like that

Its not like you can pitch faster.. its not like you can hit the ball further all of the sudden because someone slighted you.. I just don't see the actual game of baseball being one of those bulletin board material games..

Anyone agree with this?

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)

Its not like you can pitch faster.. its not like you can hit the ball further all of the sudden because someone slighted you.. I just don't see the actual game of baseball being one of those bulletin board material games..

Anyone agree with this?

Certainly on defense and running the bases.

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)

Anyone agree with this?

Sort of. this sort of dovetails into the discussion of "Clutch" and "Momentum" in sports. These arent quantifiable things, but we all know that players get hot, get into grooves, teams perform better, crazy things happen.

Its a hard topic to conclude definitively. We certainly have seen the Twins take the Sox to the woodshed after Sox players have provided bulletin board material. Many times

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 07:24 AM)
Ozzie shouldn't have to tell his pitchers to retaliate. The pitchers should have enough f***ing balls to protect their team mates without having to be told.

The pitchers are between a rock and a hard place here. Knowing the Sox don't score any runs means 1 HBP can be the difference between a win and a lose. That being said, f*** that and win some friends in the dugout and reach out and plunk someone.