Dunn to miss next few games

Mr. Showtime

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 04:52 AM)
And you know some asshole is going to say Dunn should suck it up and earn his contract.

And asshole would be the right word for that person. Condolences.

He seems like a good guy; he just can't hit a baseball any more.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)
Did you see the few posts prior to this where they said things some asshole might come in and say?

Well, the example they gave was to thee effect of Dunn sucking it up and earn his paycheck, what I posted was the opposite, he clearly can't hit a ball to save his life and now a family member of his passed away, let him clear his head and let him grieve without taking the ball club down with him, if I'm an asshole for suggesting that, so be it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 05:00 AM)
And asshole would be the right word for that person. Condolences.

He seems like a good guy; he just can't hit a baseball any more.

My condolences to the Dunn family. But, Greg my guessis he can still hit the baseball and most likely next year he will be back with a vengance

Because Dunn turned down the Nationals’ three-year offer to join the White Sox, the Nats obtained two compensatory draft picks in June. Last night they signed both of those picks, right-hander Alex Meyer, selected 23rd overall, and outfielder Brian Goodwin, selected 34th overall, in addition to their other top picks. By reaching deals with the 6’9” Meyer and Goodwin, a former Cape Cod League standout, the Nationals added significant talent to their system and even though the two players cost $5MM in total, Washington is already drawing praise for its aggressive approach.

The Nationals had interest in Dunn on a multiyear deal last year, so they were wrong about him just like the White Sox and many other teams (I was wrong, too). But their decision not to outbid Chicago turned out to be an excellent one. Instead of an expensive, positionless and now unproductive player, they added two potentially impactful prospects for a fraction of the price.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com

We already drafted and didn't sign Goodwin in 2009, right? Talk about kicking sand in the face...

Edited by caulfield12

I think trying to generalize lessons from an anomalous situation is a mistake. You don't structure your policy around the surest possible thing failing. If you do, you will lose indefinitely.

EDIT: Uhhh, wrong thread. I'm rusty, forgive me.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
Because Dunn turned down the Nationals’ three-year offer to join the White Sox, the Nats obtained two compensatory draft picks in June. Last night they signed both of those picks, right-hander Alex Meyer, selected 23rd overall, and outfielder Brian Goodwin, selected 34th overall, in addition to their other top picks. By reaching deals with the 6’9” Meyer and Goodwin, a former Cape Cod League standout, the Nationals added significant talent to their system and even though the two players cost $5MM in total, Washington is already drawing praise for its aggressive approach.

The Nationals had interest in Dunn on a multiyear deal last year, so they were wrong about him just like the White Sox and many other teams (I was wrong, too). But their decision not to outbid Chicago turned out to be an excellent one. Instead of an expensive, positionless and now unproductive player, they added two potentially impactful prospects for a fraction of the price.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com

We already drafted and didn't sign Goodwin in 2009, right? Talk about kicking sand in the face...

I was just going to ask that same question.