Burke Up, Ginter Down

DonkeyKongerko

burke.gif

JAMIE BURKE CATCHER

Appeared in 35 games at catcher, 31 at third base, 19 and first base and one as a pitcher in 2002. Belted a career high eight homers in 2002

Ht 6-0

Wt 190

T-B R-R

Born 9/24/71

2003 Stats Burke.gif

MLB experience: Went 1-5 with 2Ks for the Angels in 2001.

I wonder why a bigger stink wasn't raised over Brent Mayne injuring Olivo by blocking the plate without the ball. This was the night after the ejections for the bean balls so you'd think the same umps would be calling every little thing, let alone a clear violation that hurts a player.

What's supposed to be the ruling on blocking with out the ball? Ejection? Runners advance?

I wonder why a bigger stink wasn't raised over Brent Mayne injuring Olivo by blocking the plate without the ball.  This was the night after the ejections for the bean balls so you'd think the same umps would be calling every little thing, let alone a clear violation that hurts a player.

What's supposed to be the ruling on blocking with out the ball?  Ejection? Runners advance?

b/c he was in his right to block the plate, if the play had any inkling of coming home. however you have the

right to step on that same leg and break it, which i would have tried to do.

I wonder why a bigger stink wasn't raised over Brent Mayne injuring Olivo by blocking the plate without the ball.  This was the night after the ejections for the bean balls so you'd think the same umps would be calling every little thing, let alone a clear violation that hurts a player.

What's supposed to be the ruling on blocking with out the ball?  Ejection? Runners advance?

As long as the ball is on its way he is okay blocking the plate. If no play was being made, then he would simply be guilty of obstruction. The only penalty there is that the umire places the runner he felt they would have been without the obstruction.

The reason it doesn't happen more often is because if he is blocking the plate, tehn Miguel is well within his rights to plow over him.

No way Burke is better defender than Rivera. Burke is not a full time catcher, just fills in some. My buddy here at work is a Detroit fan, and tho Rivera hit real well one year in AA, he was considered a good defender and not as good with bat in his time with Tigers. Both can hit, but Rivera better defensively.

No way Burke is better defender than Rivera. Burke is not a full time catcher, just fills in some. My buddy here at work is a Detroit fan, and tho Rivera hit real well one year in AA, he was considered a good defender and not as good with bat in his time with Tigers. Both can hit, but Rivera better defensively.

One good year? The guy hit .289-31-101 in 2001. I think taht's a bit better than good. :)

As long as the ball is on its way he is okay blocking the plate. If no play was being made, then he would simply be guilty of obstruction. The only penalty there is that the umire places the runner he felt they would have been without the obstruction.

grazie

If Sandy retires after this year, Riv and Burke will fight it out for backup catcher.

Question:  Was Burke on the 40 man roster before the move?  I don't think so.  Rivera was, and is, however.  That fooled me as much as anything.

No he wasn't on the 40man roster before this. I wonder who was taken off of the 40man. Even though I don't think it really matters.

If Sandy retires after this year, Riv and Burke will fight it out for backup catcher.

Question:  Was Burke on the 40 man roster before the move?  I don't think so.  Rivera was, and is, however.  That fooled me as much as anything.

No he wasn't on the 40man roster before this. I wonder who was taken off of the 40man. Even though I don't think it really matters.

Rick White?

Rick White?

Rick W hite is already off.. Hence the process of designating h im for assignment.

According to the Sox web site, the Sox 40-man roster was not full.