Changes Looming If No Postseason

Marty34

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
No he wasn't, and Williams on his own extended Manuel before 2004. You do not hire a new GM and then tell him some other guy who is close to the owner and has 30 plus years in the game is going to be the manager. That makes the GM position beyond weak. It would never happen. Ever. I do think the fact that no one on the coaching staff has been extended does make it look like its do or die for either Guillen, Williams and the coaches or for all of them, but your scenerio is not going to happen. If they cleaned house, no new GM with any self respect would take a job where they had no say in the manager hire. Either way, I really think Tony LaRussa managing the White Sox again, even if Hahn if he where hired, or Williams if he stuck around really wanted him, isn't going to happen.

TLR has 2 maybe 3 years left in him as a manager. If JR decides not to rebuild, TLR is the best option to get something out of this moribound bunch. Hahn is tasked with the rebuild after TLR and the big contracts are gone.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 07:55 PM)
TLR has 2 maybe 3 years left in him as a manager. If JR decides not to rebuild, TLR is the best option to get something out of this moribound bunch. Hahn is tasked with the rebuild after TLR and the big contracts are gone.

I'd give it about 20 games before people would be wishing Ozzie was back if LaRussa managed the White Sox. Every game would be 3 hours plus. You would need about 4 loogys, and a real bad player, DeWayne Wise would probably be available, that LaRussa would absolutely adore and play way too much.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
I'd give it about 20 games before people would be wishing Ozzie was back if LaRussa managed the White Sox. Every game would be 3 hours plus. You would need about 4 loogys, and a real bad player, DeWayne Wise would probably be available, that LaRussa would absolutely adore and play way too much.

But you'd also have intelligent decisions being made and my guess is you wouldn't have these years where you have talent stacked up and lying around all over the place with no results to be seen from it.

Say what you want about LaRussa, but he gets results out of his talent.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 08:59 PM)

Wait, how is the bolded any different from Ozzie

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)

I don't understand the fascination with Larussa on this board. I would honestly rather keep Ozzie.

Kenny Williams is not going anywhere. The only way he leaves is if he volunteers to step down because feels that he can't work with Ozzie any longer.

I think that the best scenario would be for Ozzie to step down and to TV for a year before going to an NL team and for Kenny to hire Sandy Alomar Jr. or Dave Martinez. Hahn can move on to another team if he wants.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
I don't understand the fascination with Larussa on this board. I would honestly rather keep Ozzie.

Kenny Williams is not going anywhere. The only way he leaves is if he volunteers to step down because feels that he can't work with Ozzie any longer.

I think that the best scenario would be for Ozzie to step down and to TV for a year before going to an NL team and for Kenny to hire Sandy Alomar Jr. or Dave Martinez. Hahn can move on to another team if he wants.

I would rather the Sox simply fire Williams before letting Hahn go, and I tend to like Williams. I believe Hahn has a very bright future as a GM and the White Sox need to do everything in their power to retain him.

I also have no problem with LaRussa for 2-3 years if it means Duncan comes over. He is really about the only pitching coach in the entire game that I think is absolutely better than Cooper.

So, the decisions you are alluding to can only be made by one guy, Jerry Reinsdorf, who I'm sure goes around blabbing about the changes he's got in store for next season if his team doesn't reach the post season. Glad "your guy" was able to catch wind of it, or maybe Jerry is your guy and you got it from the horse's mouth.

Wow, what a scoop, Joe!

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 11:13 PM)
Take this for what it is worth.

Spoke with my guy on 35th today. This is the only scenario he knows that has been discussed.

1.) Guillen/Cooper out (presumably will go to Florida)

2.) Williams moved up or moved out.

3.) Hahn new GM.

4.) La Russa/Duncan hired.

La Russa/Duncan hire would mean no rebuild.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 01:06 AM)
Under this scenario, I couldn't be happier to miss the playoffs. Even if it means the loss of Cooper.

2.) Tizzle. Really? I always want to make the playoffs. If we pass Detroit and make the playoffs that will mean we prolly finish 10 over .500 which would mean we're playing pretty good baseball. With our pitching staff and closer(s) Sergio and Sale, who knows? I don't think we'll make the playoffs, but if we did I'd be excited big time.

1.) I think Guillen's off to Florida regardless, unless we make the ALCS or something and he's a hero again.

2.) I don't care if KW gets some glossy title, just give the job to Hahn who I know nothing about except everybody says he's a future star.

3.) Great.

4.) Ugh on LaRussa/Duncan. Why would he leave St. Looie at this point? I mean even if Looie doesn't make the playoffs, they still want him back, right?? Why would he leave for the White Sox? That makes no sense. St. Louis Cardinals baseball is a religion; White Sox baseball? I mean we have us diehards and 20,000 south side diehards, but this is a Cubs town, baby.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 04:13 PM)

Spoke with my guy on 35th today. This is the only scenario he knows that has been discussed.

3.) Hahn new GM.

Guillen and Duncan have to get out of their contracts.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 09:43 PM)
So, the decisions you are alluding to can only be made by one guy, Jerry Reinsdorf, who I'm sure goes around blabbing about the changes he's got in store for next season if his team doesn't reach the post season. Glad "your guy" was able to catch wind of it, or maybe Jerry is your guy and you got it from the horse's mouth.

Wow, what a scoop, Joe!

No scoop. Not like the Gonzalez trade. Just something I was told that definitely has been talked about by those in the know. Clearly, you don't know how the White Sox work. Sure, one guy makes the decision, but there are many who would be privy to these types of discussions. Personally, I can't believe Chairman Reinsdorf would go another year with this payroll which would almost be a requirement for a TLR hiring.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 08:50 AM)
No scoop. Not like the Gonzalez trade. Just something I was told that definitely has been talked about by those in the know. Clearly, you don't know how the White Sox work. Sure, one guy makes the decision, but there are many who would be privy to these types of discussions. Personally, I can't believe Chairman Reinsdorf would go another year with this payroll which would almost be a requirement for a TLR hiring.

It is plausible that the Sox could support this payroll level at this attendance, especially since they cut 1 dead weight contract in Teahen and are getting some insurance money back on Peavy. They are in a pretty good financial position relative to the other franchises...very low debt load, long-term owner who hasn't played any financial shenanigans to buy the team or while holding it, lots of state assistance in upkeep for the ballpark, outside revenue streams through the fact that they own the parking lots, etc.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)

3.) Hahn new GM.

So when do you move to Miami?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 07:33 PM)
Take it FWIW, Dick. It absolutely might not happen, but the reason you give for not believing it is weak. Guillen was "forced" on Williams in 2004.

For once he is right. Everything I have ever read said Kenny wanted Cito, and Ozzie stole Jerry's heart.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
No he wasn't, and Williams on his own extended Manuel before 2004. You do not hire a new GM and then tell him some other guy who is close to the owner and has 30 plus years in the game is going to be the manager. That makes the GM position beyond weak. It would never happen. Ever. I do think the fact that no one on the coaching staff has been extended does make it look like its do or die for either Guillen, Williams and the coaches or for all of them, but your scenerio is not going to happen. If they cleaned house, no new GM with any self respect would take a job where they had no say in the manager hire. Either way, I really think Tony LaRussa managing the White Sox again, even if Hahn if he where hired, or Williams if he stuck around really wanted him, isn't going to happen.

And how weak has Kenny looked the last couple of years with people like Thome and Dayan?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)

I remember the TLR era, and I know I don't want to see it again.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 07:50 AM)

So it's been talked about. I'm sure they talk about what they are going to have for lunch that day and eventually change their minds.

There is a lot of season left, and a lot would have to fall into place for all 4 of those things to fall into place. I can see it happening. I do not expect it to happen.

No thanks to LaRussa and Duncan. If I recall correctly Jockety is no longer in St. Louis baecause of LaRussa. Obviously Ramus is no longer in St. Louis because of LaRussa. I don't really want to sse the yearly beanball fights the Cardinals seem to get into and I absolutly don't want McGuire as our hitting coach. LaRussa appears more b****y and whinning every year. I do see him on television quite a bit since I'm close to St. Louis and surrounded by Cardinal fans.

Keep Ozzie and get rid of Williams if you have too. Give Ozzie the kind of team he want's and he will win. I like Kenny, but if someone has to go, I'd rather it be him.

QUOTE (SoIL @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
No thanks to LaRussa and Duncan. If I recall correctly Jockety is no longer in St. Louis baecause of LaRussa. Obviously Ramus is no longer in St. Louis because of LaRussa. I don't really want to sse the yearly beanball fights the Cardinals seem to get into and I absolutly don't want McGuire as our hitting coach. LaRussa appears more b****y and whinning every year. I do see him on television quite a bit since I'm close to St. Louis and surrounded by Cardinal fans.

Keep Ozzie and get rid of Williams if you have too. Give Ozzie the kind of team he want's and he will win. I like Kenny, but if someone has to go, I'd rather it be him.

We tried that last year with Mark Kotsay.

Not at all the same thing.

One guy had sucked for the better part of the last 5 years, and continued to suck. Another guy had been one of the premier run producers every year for the last 8 years or so, and he inexplicably has sucked.

Same result, but different decision-making. I know which line of thinking I prefer.