Changes Looming If No Postseason

Marty34

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
Not at all the same thing.

One guy had sucked for the better part of the last 5 years, and continued to suck. Another guy had been one of the premier run producers every year for the last 8 years or so, and he inexplicably has sucked.

Same result, but different decision-making. I know which line of thinking I prefer.

We know.

We're just all still trying to figure out how the hell the right line of thinking produced worse results.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)
We know.

We're just all still trying to figure out how the hell the right line of thinking produced worse results.

The bigger concern is that people don't recognize it was the right line of thinking and instead just want to attack the results.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
The bigger concern is that people don't recognize it was the right line of thinking and instead just want to attack the results.

Here's my issue.

If the results aren't there, then maybe I have to question that line of thinking. Maybe there's more to the "Rotating DH" concept than we gave credit to (in that case, the problem is who we chose to put there, a NL pinch hitter, rather than the concept itself).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
Here's my issue.

If the results aren't there, then maybe I have to question that line of thinking. Maybe there's more to the "Rotating DH" concept than we gave credit to (in that case, the problem is who we chose to put there, a NL pinch hitter, rather than the concept itself).

Yeah, I am sure there is....not many concepts are going to prove effective if they are built on ineffective parts.

Look, I get the fact that Dunn has been horrific. But two things: Dunn could still obviously come back and have three monster years for us, and in the end, be worthy of that contract; and secondly, sometimes s*** just happens.

This is one of those times.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 08:14 AM)
It is plausible that the Sox could support this payroll level at this attendance, especially since they cut 1 dead weight contract in Teahen and are getting some insurance money back on Peavy. They are in a pretty good financial position relative to the other franchises...very low debt load, long-term owner who hasn't played any financial shenanigans to buy the team or while holding it, lots of state assistance in upkeep for the ballpark, outside revenue streams through the fact that they own the parking lots, etc.

I believe this to be true. Maybe a modified re-build, swapping Quentin for Viciedo, dealing Danks or Floyd and resigning Buehrle would still be enough to lure LaRussa given the relationship he has with Chairman Reinsdorf.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
Here's my issue.

I think the rotaing DH was not a bad idea as it gave you an option for rotating and resting the other position players. But, Kotsay et al kind of nessed that up and the idea of the big bopper in Dunn led the team to abandon that idea for a full-time DH like Thomas and Thome. However, the move back fired for whatever reason as they tried a NL player at the position and he was used to playing the field. Now maybe in 2012 he will be better? I think change wise if anything hapens it's becasue Ozzie and KW decide to move on and not Jerry making them.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)
So it's been talked about. I'm sure they talk about what they are going to have for lunch that day and eventually change their minds.

There is a lot of season left, and a lot would have to fall into place for all 4 of those things to fall into place. I can see it happening. I do not expect it to happen.

Look, I'm just passing on what I was told. That it's the only thing my guy heard I thought was interesting. Doesn't mean it's a definite to happen though.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
I believe this to be true. Maybe a modified re-build, swapping Quentin for Viciedo, dealing Danks or Floyd and resigning Buehrle would still be enough to lure LaRussa given the relationship he has with Chairman Reinsdorf.

A couple thoughts on this: Is Jerry's relationship and loyalty to Ozzie and KW stronger than his relationship with Larussa? Tony was canned by the Hawk a lot of years ago. Is this team in need of pitching stability and needs to sign Buerhle &-Danks and keep Floyd more than trade one or both? I think it makes more sense that the negotiate with Peavy to reduce the size of that 2013 contract, or whenever that $22M a year contract comes up. If he wants to stay and they want to keep him that could solve some financial issues right there. The one huge point that I haven't heard answeed is: does Larussa have an interest in coming to the Sox and/oir continue managing period?

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
Look, I'm just passing on what I was told. That it's the only thing my guy heard I thought was interesting. Doesn't mean it's a definite to happen though.

This is a funny quote, because this is pretty much what was said about the Agon rumors, yet you keep ripping us for posting it.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 04:44 PM)

I hear you. Those things are what makes this all so interesting and certainly sparks a lot of discussion.

This makes total sense to me. Cooper won't stay around and be pitching coach if Ozzie leaves and he's not considered for the managerial job. Cora is Ozzie's boy, so he'll go to Florida also if he doesn't get a managerial job either. I'll tell you who would love Larussa, and that would be Ohman. He might make 160 appearances next year (yes, a slight hyperbole).

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
A couple thoughts on this: Is Jerry's relationship and loyalty to Ozzie and KW stronger than his relationship with Larussa? Tony was canned by the Hawk a lot of years ago. Is this team in need of pitching stability and needs to sign Buerhle &-Danks and keep Floyd more than trade one or both? I think it makes more sense that the negotiate with Peavy to reduce the size of that 2013 contract, or whenever that $22M a year contract comes up. If he wants to stay and they want to keep him that could solve some financial issues right there. The one huge point that I haven't heard answeed is: does Larussa have an interest in coming to the Sox and/oir continue managing period?

You'll never hear him say that until he is out of a job.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)
This is a funny quote, because this is pretty much what was said about the Agon rumors, yet you keep ripping us for posting it.

If Cowley gets in my grill a little bit if this turns out not to happen, I won't hold it against him.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)

I know people have kinda joked that Marty is actually Cowley, but is this actually true?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
You'll never hear him say that until he is out of a job.

He knows the definition of professionalism atleast.

I don't care if we make the playoffs or not, there has to be changes at the end of the year. Ozzie and KW can simply not co-exist long-term. There is just too much bad blood and philosophical differences between the two. At least one of them has to go. IMO, Ozzie has warn out his welcome here with his constant drama and has done a below average job managing the team the last few years. If he stays, he'd have an even stronger stranglehold on the organization and that's really scary.

If do we get rid of KW, then the new GM should be able to pick his own guy. I'm actually starting to like the idea of Hahn as GM. He's incredibly intelligent and it seems like the game is starting to value that more than previous baseball experience. Guys like Friedman and Epstein are proof of that. He seems like a pretty popular name around the league and my guess is if we don't offer him the job, he'll be the next GM of the Cubs. I think you got to make a long-term decision on KW this offseason and if he's the not the guy, offer Hahn the job and maybe KW a John Paxson type position, although I'm not sure he'll go for that.

Regardless, do not force a manger on our GM. If KW, Hahn or whomever wants Larussa, then so be it, but I don't want any more power struggles and lack of accountability.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Yeah, I am sure there is....not many concepts are going to prove effective if they are built on ineffective parts.

Look, I get the fact that Dunn has been horrific. But two things: Dunn could still obviously come back and have three monster years for us, and in the end, be worthy of that contract; and secondly, sometimes s*** just happens.

This is one of those times.

I know what you mean, but I do not think he could actually perform that well over 3 years to negate what has been one of the worst seasons of individual play in the history of the game.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
I don't care if we make the playoffs or not, there has to be changes at the end of the year. Ozzie and KW can simply not co-exist long-term. There is just too much bad blood and philosophical differences between the two. At least one of them has to go. IMO, Ozzie has warn out his welcome here with his constant drama and has done a below average job managing the team the last few years. If he stays, he'd have an even stronger stranglehold on the organization and that's really scary.

If do we get rid of KW, then the new GM should be able to pick his own guy. I'm actually starting to like the idea of Hahn as GM. He's incredibly intelligent and it seems like the game is starting to value that more than previous baseball experience. Guys like Friedman and Epstein are proof of that. He seems like a pretty popular name around the league and my guess is if we don't offer him the job, he'll be the next GM of the Cubs. I think you got to make a long-term decision on KW this offseason and if he's the not the guy, offer Hahn the job and maybe KW a John Paxson type position, although I'm not sure he'll go for that.

Regardless, do not force a manger on our GM. If KW, Hahn or whomever wants Larussa, then so be it, but I don't want any more power struggles and lack of accountability.

I've been saying that for a long time. I'm glad others feel the same way.