Waivers thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blog.prorumors.com/2011/08/rumors/i..._medium=twitter

A source familiar with the waiver process told ESPNNewYork.com, as reported by Adam Rubin, that the Mets are planing to keep Jason Isringhausen, Scott Hairston and Tim Byrdak for the reminder of the season.

Even though they all will be free agents at the end of the season, the team will have to keep them given the fact that they were pulled back from waivers.

Rubin adds that Jason Bay, Chris Capuano, D.J. Carrasco, Willie Harris and Angel Pagan have all cleared waivers and could be traded to any Major League team.

Stark

Nearly three weeks into the August waiver-deal period, we haven't seen a significant trade. One theory we've heard is this: Early in the month, too many teams thought they were in contention, so claiming reached an all-time high. "I don't think any major-impact player is going through [unclaimed]," said an official of one contender. "The only guys going through are the money guys."

Here's a name to watch on that waiver wire in the next week and a half: Jim Thome. Teams that asked about him last month were told the Twins wouldn't even think about whether to trade him until after he hit his 600th homer. Now that that's out of the way, the Twins have to decide whether they're out of the race. Then they're likely to involve Thome in the process.

"The first thing they've got to do is let him go home and accept all the accolades," said an executive of one club monitoring this decision. "And maybe then they'll think about trading him. But it wouldn't surprise me if they don't trade this guy at all, because of who he is and what he does for that team and his popularity with those fans.

"He's not going to go just anywhere. He wouldn't be THAT figure in Anaheim or Texas, if you know what I mean. So I think if he wants to stay in Minnesota, they'll keep him. I just think he has something a lot of players don't have -- his stature. He commands such great respect, I think you treat him different than you might treat a lot of other players."

QUOTE (Real @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 10:52 PM)
Co-worker of mine's fiancee is close to Thome and his family, he said that Jim is retiring after this year

Take it FWIW

I would believe it. I don't think he has a lot left in the tank and he got to 600 homers. The only reason he would have to continue playing is to get a ring and to do that at this point, he would have to be a situational player because he can't hold up over the course of a season. I doubt any player who has done as much as he has is going to want to essentially sit on the bench and get maybe 200 PAs just to get a ring.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see the Twins do what the Sox did in 2009. It's only a 2 month thing for him so really it's just a matter of living in a hotel for 2 months instead of having a home. And then when his season is done, he hangs it up.

And, as much as I'd love to see him on the Sox again, I don't think he'd accept a claim or trade here simply because the Sox aren't guaranteed a playoff birth.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

#Twins' Thome went on trade waivers today. #Phillies want him, but almost no chance he gets through to them. #MLB

I figured the Phillies would view him as this year's Matt Stairs for them. I hope he gets there, somehow.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
I figured the Phillies would view him as this year's Matt Stairs for them. I hope he gets there, somehow.

Considering they are the best team in the NL, I think their chances are nil. He'd have to pass through all other teams, including CLE, TEX, NYY, SF, ARI, MIL, ATL, I could see any of these teams claiming him.

Hafner is injured again, so Cleveland could be an interesting possibility, they would have one of the first chances to claim him. If they got him, I hope it would shut up all those bozos who still boo the guy.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
Considering they are the best team in the NL, I think their chances are nil. He'd have to pass through all other teams, including CLE, TEX, NYY, SF, ARI, MIL, ATL, I could see any of these teams claiming him.

Hafner is injured again, so Cleveland could be an interesting possibility, they would have one of the first chances to claim him. If they got him, I hope it would shut up all those bozos who still boo the guy.

Cleveland would be another interesting destination, and a chance for him to bookend his career.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen