Waivers thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/pr...l#ixzz1W2s6cUTF

With the Cardinals 10 games out of first place and only 32 games remaining, the impression gathers steam that they are much more likely to be sellers than buyers in the last month or so.

After a 9-4 whipping by the Los Angeles Dodgers on Wednesday, general manager John Mozeliak didn't necessarily reject that theory but didn't anticipate major trade action and said that interest in his players had been marginal.

"Right now, we would consider anything," Mozeliak told the Post-Dispatch. "If somebody has interest in our players, definitely we would listen. But, as far as potential trades, I don't feel like we're likely to be engaged in that.

"A lot of times when you're dealing with (your own) players who are potential free agents, they do have draft pick value, so that gets weighed into things. But I don't look at doing any additions unless it really makes sense or has impact for future years."

The Cardinals have a dozen or so players who could be potential free agents, starting, of course with first baseman Albert Pujols.

Mozeliak said the more likely moves people will see when rosters can be expanded next Thursday would involve players who hadn't received everyday chances to play here "just to see what they're capable of."

Most have been here at one point or another, including Memphis shortstop Tyler Greene, who has failed in several trials here but really hasn't played more than a few games in succession.

Greene is hitting .338 with 14 homers in 216 at-bats at Memphis, has an on-base percentage of .425 and has stolen 15 bases in 16 attempts to go with the Cardinals' team high of nine he stole in nine tries while he was here.

A 2005 first-round pick, Greene is 28 and the club, which is likely to have still another shortstop to open next season, needs to find out whether Greene is better than the .196-hitting, erratic-fielding player he was here earlier this year.

Mozeliak, who met with his staff Wednesday morning and then with manager Tony La Russa after Wednesday's game, said, "I would like to see (Greene) get more of an opportunity to play, just so we can have a better idea for planning 2012."

It is still August, and perhaps some folks still want to deal with 2011.

"I don't think anybody wants to quit, or not to compete," said Mozeliak. "But we've got to start winning games again. Whatever combination of players we use to start doing that, that's what I'm hopeful of seeing — but also gaining insights for a sneak peek at '12."

Mozeliak, asked how he assessed the moves he made this summer said, "I don't have any regrets because at the time of the trading deadline, we were right in the thick of things.

"We identified areas of need and this was from the front office down to the coaching staff. We aggressively pursued some things. Some of the things have helped but, unfortunately, we've had deficiencies in other areas and (the help) hasn't been enough to counterbalance it."

Realistically, the Cardinals could have played better and still not been in much of a position to run down Milwaukee in the National League Central.

"The way they're playing is just unconscious," Mozeliak said. "They've done everything right.

"I compliment them and what they've done. But the reality is that we just didn't play good baseball here."

Mozeliak used the word disappointment to describe the whole of the season.

"The support we get from ownership to have the payroll that we do and to go out and make trades or sign players ... the expectations are to put a great product out onto the field," he said.

"For 3½ months we were doing that. But, as we stand here today, it's just not clicking.

"The frustrating part is how we've lost. Just the inconsistencies from one day to the next make this a very difficult team to count on for what you're going to get."

The Cardinals entered Milwaukee just 2½ games back at the beginning of the month and then lost two out of three. Though they won four in a row at Florida to stay three games back, Mozeliak said, "We've just found different ways to lose and that's a frustrating thing. This team fought through so much adversity throughout the year and I think it just caught up to them.

"Between injuries and timing of the injuries, it came to a point where, to some degree, there was some exhaustion. Or frustration. Or both."

There were flashes of booing at Busch the last few days but nothing outrageous. Mozeliak said, "Our fan support is amazing and we're grateful for what they allow us to do (with three million attendance).

"But they expect to have a better product on the field. And they should.

"We're committed to always trying to improve it. And try to figure out what went wrong."

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/pr...l#ixzz1W3hctjTR

Anyone else think the whole waiver process is stupid?

They should just set one trade deadline, and be done with it.

Me personally, I think the only trade deadline should be six weeks before the end of the season...mid August.

Especially if they expand the playoffs and more teams are in contention longer.