Tigers acquire Delmon Young from Twins

Sockin

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
I still can't get over that the two teams that probably could have got Dunn if they wanted him, and they were rumored to be the top two contenders for him, were the Cubs and Tigers.

i guess there was just no way to foresee this type of collapse. And I know this is not an Adam Dunn thread so I won't go on and on, but I'm starting to believe this has as much to do with the pressure of signing a big contract as it does anything else. Even a mediocre season from Dunn, say .225 25 75, would make such a huge difference.

But man, to have VMart...I swear every time Miggy gets a hit in front of him he comes through with a knock.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
What a great moment

Liked hearing the det guys ripping on the jeter media coverage

I think them going on about the Jeter coverage was misplaced. After all Jeter is a lifetime Yankee. Thome's is in his 2nd year with the Twins and the majority of his HR's are with other teams. Oh and it was the Twins announcers not the Tigers.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
i guess there was just no way to foresee this type of collapse. And I know this is not an Adam Dunn thread so I won't go on and on, but I'm starting to believe this has as much to do with the pressure of signing a big contract as it does anything else. Even a mediocre season from Dunn, say .225 25 75, would make such a huge difference.

But man, to have VMart...I swear every time Miggy gets a hit in front of him he comes through with a knock.

You bring up a good scenario

Lets forget what Dunn is doing right now and just say that his first year in a Sox uniform ended with .225 - 25 - 75

How much s*** does Dunn catch? The same amount as he is now, or less? I think it would be the same, given his track record..

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 06:22 AM)
there are not a lot of Twins fan shedding a tear over this move. A lot of people, including myself, thought the Twins were going to non tender him in the offseason, so getting something more than a bag of baseballs is a win.

How do you look at the Young/Garza trade now in retrospect Jim?

The problem is if they don't keep Kubel and/or Cuddyer around.

$16 million/2 years for Cuddyer isn't going to get it done.

Span looks like a shadow of his former self, and they can't go with both Span and Revere in the outfield, not enough punch....especially if Morneau never returns to form and Mauer decides to put up Tommy Herr numbers with a higher batting average.

They also have Slowey who should be coming off the books.

MINN just screwed themselves not bringing JJ Hardy back. The guy is outhitting everyone on the White Sox but Konerko and Quentin....

And their middle relief has been a joke...when you don't replace Breslow, Reyes, Rauch, Guerrier and Crain, you're cruising for a bruisin'. Finally, Capps has been a big disappointment.

Smith and Kenny Williams are brothers in bad moves the last 2-3 seasons.

Luckily they had all of Ryan's talent in place and in their primes.

Might have to let Liriano go as well...when the return will be minimal compared to what it once might have been. Same with Young after last season.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
what do I think of the Young/Garza trade now? well, obviously, it was a terrible trade. Matt Garza would be an awesome addition for the pitching staff right now. But I guess he and Gardenhire didnt get along. When the trade happened, I was ecstatic. But things didnt work out. move on

That's not in Soxtalk's vocabulary when it comes to bad trades

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/twin...oung-trade.html

The Twins acquired righty reliever Lester Oliveros from the Tigers to complete yesterday's Delmon Young trade, announced the team. The Twins had until October 15th to choose the player to be named later, but they needed less than 24 hours. They also received lefty Cole Nelson in the deal.

Oliveros, 23, dominated at Double-A this year, earning a promotion to Triple-A in May and to the bigs in July. He was sent back to Triple-A later that month, but was demoted back to Double-A on Saturday. Baseball America ranked Oliveros 17th among Tigers prospects prior to the season, noting that he profiles as a middle reliever.

Young got off to a fine start for the Tigers yesterday, homering in his first plate appearance.