AJP to DL w/ fractured wrist

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
CS takes into account pick-offs via the pitcher. You need to look at CSctch, where it only takes into account CSes which included an assist by the catcher. Therefore AJ is only 10/97.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/..._baserunning::9

Thanks for that. I thought that sounded high.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
Yes, a blessing in disguise, losing a guy who's hitting .410 in the month of August with a 1.07 OPS. Halleluiah

Well, my guess is AJ was due to cool off. I severely doubt he was going to continue this hot-hitting for much longer, although this is obviously just speculation.

In the meanwhile, we avoid his regression to the mean, and maybe get a little infusion of power from Tyler, and he proves whether or not he can play everyday at this level.

Again, the phrase is blessing "in disguise." It wouldn't mean much if it appeared as though it was a good thing at the time it happened.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
It's too bad. AJ has been hitting well. But, it'll be a huge test for Flowers. I'm pretty sure this is AJ's first trip to the DL. Figure everything he's been through, and he goes to the DL after getting hit by Bruce Chen. Wow.

It is.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
Sample size isn't huge, but Flowers has a 3.00 cERA. We know we can't lose anything arm-related. And Tyler knows how to take a walk and hit for power. I really don't think this is much of a loss. We do lose some leadership with AJ, that's for sure, but in tangible production, this isn't that big a loss.

Don't be too sure about that.

I know I have been pounding on this a lot lately, but here we go again. Let them pitch inside against us. Even let them put our best players out {Konerko,A.J.}, but don't retaliate. This is a result of no fear about pitching inside and even hitting Sox players. Next time we play the Royals Cabrerra and Butler get knocked down if not out. Please Ozzie no more wimpy baseball.

I swear to God, if the pitching staff suffers in AJ's absence (while he hits about .175 with Dunn's K rate) and we finish 7-8 GB in the division and someone says "well, we'd have won the AL Central if we wouldn't have lost Pierzynski," and that is used as yet another excuse for bringing back Ozzie and KW, I'll....

The Indians and Twins have each had 8-10 more major injuries than the Sox this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
That isn't unusual in the wrist. There are a lot of small bones, plus I am sure there was a ton of swelling in the area.

You're right. X-rays are usually inconclusive in the wrist. The standard protocol is to wait a few days and do a bone scan or CT later to determine if the is a fracture.

Good news is that it's likely a small one so it's probably only about a 3 week immobilization period. Could be as much a 6 but those are rare.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
I swear to God, if the pitching staff suffers in AJ's absence (while he hits about .175 with Dunn's K rate) and we finish 7-8 GB in the division and someone says "well, we'd have won the AL Central if we wouldn't have lost Pierzynski," and that is used as yet another excuse for bringing back Ozzie and KW, I'll....

The Indians and Twins have each had 8-10 more major injuries than the Sox this year.

You're forgetting about Adam Dunn's brain injury and Alex Rios' heart injury.

Perhaps the Wizard of Oz will fix them....

Off the top of my head....the Twins have DL'ed Thome, Span, Kubel, Nishioka, Delmon Young, Mauer, Morneau and a few of their pitchers.

The Indians have lost Hannahan (although Chisenhall had arrived already), Alex White, Choo, Sizemore, Hafner, Carmona (I think)...maybe LaPorta, at any rate, they've both lost more valuable players for much longer time periods than us.

Not even close to say it's like 2001 or 2004.

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
Has anyone published which bone? Some fractures (triquetral) heal more quickly with less risk than others (scaphoid/navicular).

The scaphoid doesn't really heal faster, it's just that who have to be more careful with the immobilization. The scaphoid is shaped like a peanut and fractures usually occur in the middle, thinner part. The bone is really important to the wrist motion so you have to immobilize it longer to make sure you don't lose range of motion, this would be terrible for a ballplayer. This usually occurs in more obvious fractures, however it can occur in harder to detect ones.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

If the Sox end up winning the division with this mess of a 2011 season, it will be Guillen's best regular-season managerial job, period.

That is the stuff that scares the s*** out of me. I said it months ago, but if we win this division with a terrible record (or even finish pretty close), there will be tons of people clamoring to keep Ozzie because he "kept us in it".