8/16 games

danman31

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
Axelrod has quietly had a very nice season.

I know the Padres cut him loose.

Is he at all a prospect as a fourth or fifth starter -- or middle reliever?

His minor league numbers are terrific, so he definitely profiles as a starting MLB pitcher. However, his mediocre stuff would indicate he is a back-of-the-rotation starter. But all he has done in the minors is dominate, so some guys production simple belie their talents. Maybe he is one of them. Greg Maddux never overwhelmed anyone with stuff. Not saying Axelrod is Maddux, but others have proven that production isn't always about talent.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 11:34 PM)
His minor league numbers are terrific, so he definitely profiles as a starting MLB pitcher. However, his mediocre stuff would indicate he is a back-of-the-rotation starter. But all he has done in the minors is dominate, so some guys production simple belie their talents. Maybe he is one of them. Greg Maddux never overwhelmed anyone with stuff. Not saying Axelrod is Maddux, but others have proven that production isn't always about talent.

At the very least, he is depth, and that's always a very good thing to have.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 10:34 PM)

Late in his career, Greg Maddux never overwhelmed with his stuff. He was phenomenal early in his career. You don't put up an ERA of 1.60 in more than 400 innings if you have underwhelming stuff.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 01:04 AM)
Especially when the Sox project to have very little SP depth going forward.

Well, we have Peavy-Danks-Floyd-Humber-Stewart, and then Chris Sale unless they think he needs to be in AA or AAA to stretch out. If not, we have Davis/Santiago/Axelrod after them, and this is all assuming we don't trade Quentin in the offseason for young starters, or sign any starters in the offseason.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

When I saw Axel's numbers I was thinking of the same thing - where does he fit in the picture?

I'm going to guess that the Sox find a way to re-sign M56. I also think they see Sale as a starter long-term. Which would mean next year's rotation would look something like:

Buehrle

Danks (unless traded in the offseason)

Floyd

Peavy

Sale

Humber

That's already six. Then there are Zach Stewart and Dylan Axelrod, who could very much compete for any open rotation spot if one opened up. That is actually some very good SP depth the Sox have going into the offseason... which makes me 80% sure that KW is going to trade a starter, probably Danks, in the offseason.

I posted a tidbit on Axelrod's stuff a while back, but now I can't remember the details.