All Things Rick Hahn

harfman77

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Cubs hired Rick Hahn, the zombie apocalypse would begin.

Is Hahn really considered a sabremetrichead? Didn't think he was and if he isn't then he wouldn't fit the bill that Ricketts is looking for. If he's been responsible for our farm I wouldn't hire him based on that mess.

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:31 PM)
Is Hahn really considered a sabremetrichead? Didn't think he was and if he isn't then he wouldn't fit the bill that Ricketts is looking for. If he's been responsible for our farm I wouldn't hire him based on that mess.

He's considered a hybrid, basically.

Next to Ozzie and KW, anyone would look like Bill James or Billy Beane.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 01:00 AM)
JR will never live down letting Hahn go if he won a World Series for the Cubs.

Really, I don't know why anyone would care about this stuff. Hawk Harrelson fired Tony LaRussa and that hasn't gotten him blackballed from the organization. You get the occasional joke about it and that's it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 08:32 AM)
How? The only people that would care about that are meatballs who have no idea who the f*** Rick Hahn is anyway.

Plus, Jerry won his world series already. I think he could care less at this point if the Cubs did, and if it took a Sox front office guy to win it, then that makes Jerry look better

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
Plus, Jerry won his world series already. I think he could care less at this point if the Cubs did, and if it took a Sox front office guy to win it, then that makes Jerry look better

How funny would it be for the Cubs to finally win something, and them owe it to the White Sox?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 12:38 AM)
He's considered a hybrid, basically.

Next to Ozzie and KW, anyone would look like Bill James or Billy Beane.

Are you talking about Altered Beast or Hahn? In all the blurbs and articles posted recently I have seen nothing about his philosophy--only that he's smart and ready. Where did you get this info?

This is basically the assumption because of his time spent with Moorad and Steinberg, as well as Northwestern and Harvard Law.

Since he's "numbers oriented," he has to be a SABR type of person.

On the other hand, we've never really seen these numbers applied to personnel/scouting/FA decisions or referenced in articles.

The only examples I could think of would be the times they went to arbitration with a player, but those examples aren't plentiful and they're obviously closed to outsiders, so only the agents would really be able to testify to his actual approach.

He's definitely not Grady Fuson, old baseball scout, referenced in Moneyball.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
Chairman Reinsdorf made Hahn the highest paid assistant G.M. in baseball. You have to believe Hahn would give him right of first refusal even though he has an out in his contract for the Cubs.

I may be completely off base and I realize his title actually IS chairman, but do you constantly refer to him as Chairman Reinsdorf in order to equate him with the likes of Mao Zedong or something?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)
This is basically the assumption because of his time spent with Moorad and Steinberg, as well as Northwestern and Harvard Law.

Since he's "numbers oriented," he has to be a SABR type of person.

On the other hand, we've never really seen these numbers applied to personnel/scouting/FA decisions or referenced in articles.

The only examples I could think of would be the times they went to arbitration with a player, but those examples aren't plentiful and they're obviously closed to outsiders, so only the agents would really be able to testify to his actual approach.

He's definitely not Grady Fuson, old baseball scout, referenced in Moneyball.

This is all your assumption, you cant be presenting this as fact. Nothing is known about Hahns MO until he steps out of KWs shadow and does his own job. Northwestern and Harvard law really dont play much into this, you dont see people touting KW going to Stanford as any reason for the way he works

That just seems to be the "collective/consensus" opinion on Hahn from every article ever written about him.

I've never seen anyone explain WHY, just heard him referred to in that camp simply because he doesn't fit in the "old school" camp at all.

As far as KW and Stanford, he's always promoted his "football tough" approach and the comparisons with the Raiders...I think his "football first" background tends to supercede the university he attended. Who knows, maybe he attended more classes than Tiger Woods, Mike Mussina, Joe Borchard and Jerry Yang.

Jim Hendry never was a numbers guy. He was a scout, which certainly has its advantages. But at the end of the day, that scout made quite a few questionable moves -- beyond the Alfonso Soriano contract -- that perhaps could've been prevented with better statistical analysis.

And that's where Hahn comes in. He's not a complete numbers guy -- which is good -- but he has a much better balance between scouting and statistics in his analysis and decision-making than Hendry.

But, if the Cubs decide to target Hahn, the next question is this -- would he actually leave the White Sox?

Here's an example from the first random Hahn article I googled (from beerleague.com). What is the writer's opinion based on? Interviews with others around Hahn? Hearsay? Conjecture?

I've yet to see any solid evidence or support of this common assumption that seems to be flying around about him. Maybe it's simply because with the new group of young GM's, everyone assumes he can't be a traditional, "baseball background with a lesser education" type of GM.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
I may be completely off base and I realize his title actually IS chairman, but do you constantly refer to him as Chairman Reinsdorf in order to equate him with the likes of Mao Zedong or something?

I think it is more of a cutesy thing to try to demean the people he doesn't like.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
That just seems to be the "collective/consensus" opinion on Hahn from every article ever written about him.

I've never seen anyone explain WHY, just heard him referred to in that camp simply because he doesn't fit in the "old school" camp at all.

As far as KW and Stanford, he's always promoted his "football tough" approach and the comparisons with the Raiders...I think his "football first" background tends to supercede the university he attended. Who knows, maybe he attended more classes than Tiger Woods, Mike Mussina, Joe Borchard and Jerry Yang.

Jim Hendry never was a numbers guy. He was a scout, which certainly has its advantages. But at the end of the day, that scout made quite a few questionable moves -- beyond the Alfonso Soriano contract -- that perhaps could've been prevented with better statistical analysis.

And that's where Hahn comes in. He's not a complete numbers guy -- which is good -- but he has a much better balance between scouting and statistics in his analysis and decision-making than Hendry.

But, if the Cubs decide to target Hahn, the next question is this -- would he actually leave the White Sox?

Here's an example from the first random Hahn article I googled (from beerleague.com). What is the writer's opinion based on? Interviews with others around Hahn? Hearsay? Conjecture?

I've yet to see any solid evidence or support of this common assumption that seems to be flying around about him. Maybe it's simply because with the new group of young GM's, everyone assumes he can't be a traditional, "baseball background with a lesser education" type of GM.

Except that the last three years of that deal came from above Hendry's head.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)

Force of habit.