Why move Stewart to the pen instead of Humber?

shlammajamma

It's obvious Humber has reached his limit this year. Why not move him to the pen before ultimately shutting him down if necessary? Stewart has been solid in his last two starts, and Humber has looked awful lately. It seems logical to keep the one thing we have going great at its strongest, the starting rotation.

Ozzie loves veterans/journeymen (Wise/Kotsay/Mackowiak)...

If Humber has another bad start, he will have to be sent to the pen...and Stewart had experience in college, with the Reds and Jays (minor leagues) as a closer/reliever.

That must be the thinking, easier adjustment for him compared to Phil.

Humber has struggled lately and Stewart wasn't all that impressive. They both battle hard and that's a plus. I think it really is six of one and half a dozen of the other. Unless you are using a baker's dozen. I trust that Cooper and Ozzie know who is doing better and can perform as needed in the assigned role.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
Humber has struggled lately and Stewart wasn't all that impressive. They both battle hard and that's a plus. I think it really is six of one and half a dozen of the other. Unless you are using a baker's dozen. I trust that Cooper and Ozzie know who is doing better and can perform as needed in the assigned role.

Did you actually watch any of his three appearances with us so far?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)
I wanted to say this last night, but I was just too lazy :lolhitting

Honestly looking at Stewart's innings, they probably want to do the same thing with him, but he is also younger, and the 6th guy right now. Humber has earned the 5th spot for sure. I think they wanted to make him have another start on Sunday, but with the pen being fried yesterday, they had to use him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
Honestly looking at Stewart's innings, they probably want to do the same thing with him, but he is also younger, and the 6th guy right now. Humber has earned the 5th spot for sure. I think they wanted to make him have another start on Sunday, but with the pen being fried yesterday, they had to use him.

They definitely had no choice. And you're right, they're not going to demote Humber after all he's done for the team this year in order to make room for a rookie.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 08:38 AM)
Humber has struggled lately and Stewart wasn't all that impressive . They both battle hard and that's a plus. I think it really is six of one and half a dozen of the other. Unless you are using a baker's dozen. I trust that Cooper and Ozzie know who is doing better and can perform as needed in the assigned role.

:huh:

Anyways, it's a tough spot here. Humber has been so damn good that he's earned the spot but at this point Stewart probably is the better option for the rest of the season. As much as Ozzie and the organization as a whole has pissed me off this year, I really can't fault them for this one.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
:huh:

Anyways, it's a tough spot here. Humber has been so damn good that he's earned the spot but at this point Stewart probably is the better option for the rest of the season. As much as Ozzie and the organization as a whole has pissed me off this year, I really can't fault them for this one.

If you believe in Humber for 2012, you have to push him past this point to build him up for next year. He has been at pretty much the same innings plateau for about five years now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
If you believe in Humber for 2012, you have to push him past this point to build him up for next year. He has been at pretty much the same innings plateau for about five years now.

Can't we just give him Ohman like innings in the pen?

Use him a lot?

I really think starting him is akin to an automatic loss the rest of the way.

Don't you agree he's that bad right now?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)

Use him a lot?

Especially in terms of building up his arm, no. There's a big difference between gearing up to throw 75 pitches+ with a full warmup and hopping in on short rest.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 10:30 PM)

Use him a lot?

He hasn't been nearly what he was to start the season, but honestly I don't think that is a realistic view of what will get on an annual basis from him. Then again, he is better than what he had been throwing lately as well. It's just like being a runner. You can't take a guy who is trained for the 400 meters and expect him to effectively run a marathon. You have to build up his mileage otherwise he is going to be awful when he hits the wall. Starting pitchers are the same way. If you want them to be effective late in the season, you have to get them their innings. If the Sox feel Phil is going to be one of their guys in 2012, he needs to be pitching every 5, maybe 6, days.