No wonder our farm system is in a Shambles

chisoxfan09

I had hope KW might start to give the farm a little bit more attention but this article really pisses me off. They only spent 2.78 million on the draft but turn a blind eye to Nepotism and let his kids who are busts have starting positions in Class A and above. We need a change of direction when it comes to the farm.

Link: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/...on-on-11-draft/

Teams Spend $236 Million On ’11 Draft

Posted Aug. 17, 2011 11:17 am by Jim Callis

Filed under: Signings

MLB teams combined to spend $227,969,050 on draft bonuses in 2011, and a total of $236,019,050 including additional guarantees in major league contracts for Danny Hultzen, Trevor Bauer, Dylan Bundy, Anthony Rendon and Matt Purke. Those are both records, up from $195,782,830 and $201,832,830 in 2010.

On the day of the Aug. 15 signing deadline, the clubs spent $132,098,500 in bonuses and a total of $139,098,500 in guarantees. Those are two more new marks, up from $91,155,600 and $97,205,600 in 2010.

The Pirates, who gave a record $8 million bonus to No. 1 overall pick Gerrit Cole and set another mark for non-first-rounders by paying $5 million to second-rounder Josh Bell, spent a total of $17,005,700. That obliterated the old bonus standard of $11,927,200 set by the 2010 Nationals.

The Nationals didn't relinquish that record without a fight, spending $15,002,100 in bonuses. Additional guarantees to Rendon and Purke bring Washington's overall total to $17,602,100. The record for the most guaranteed money spent in a single draft remains $19,118,604 by the 2009 Nationals, the bulk of which was a $15,107,104 big league contract for No. 1 overall pick Stephen Strasburg.

The Royals ($14,066,000), Cubs ($11,954,550) and Diamondbacks ($11,930,000) also surpassed Washington's old bonus record. The Rays ($11,482,900), Mariners ($11,330,500), Padres ($11,020,600), Blue Jays ($10,996,500) and Red Sox ($10,978,700) brought the total of teams spending $10 million or more to 10. Only seven teams previously had topped $10 million in bonus spending, all in the previous three drafts.

At the other end of the spectrum, the White Sox ranked last at $2,786,300. The Tigers were the only other team below $3 million at $2,878,700–less than the $3.45 million they paid supplemental first-round pick Nick Castellanos in 2010.

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't have a first round pick, so that cuts out a few million, but that doesn't excuse the rest of the draft. In fact, it should mean that they would spend more money on the tough signs, especially with how bare the system is, getting as many live bodies as we can down there should've been the biggest priority, even if it meant spending a little bit more.

It's very easy right now to hate our spending on proven talent.. because Rios and Dunn decided to have career low years, and Peavy has been hurt.

But I think most of us would prefer the judicious spending come with totally unproven talent. Hey, if they want to spend on vets .....and then make smart little acquisitions here and there like Zach Stewart... I think few of us would dislike that approach. Now we just need that latter part to keep happening.

Our inability to invest in the draft and the international signing period has had ripple effects on this organization. The minor leagues are for two purposes. One is for internal candidates to re-stock at positions that turn over due to free agency or age attrition. The other is to be used as value for a trade. Other teams have seen this and have spent accordingly. We have a very high payroll and in large its inflated due to the inability to find replacement candidates from within. Alex Rios would of never been on this team if we could of found a candidate for CF within. Its like a company ignoring the R&D department and getting passed by in the industry due to another competitor finding a cheap and better way to build a widget.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
Our inability to invest in the draft and the international signing period has had ripple effects on this organization. The minor leagues are for two purposes. One is for internal candidates to re-stock at positions that turn over due to free agency or age attrition. The other is to be used as value for a trade. Other teams have seen this and have spent accordingly. We have a very high payroll and in large its inflated due to the inability to find replacement candidates from within. Alex Rios would of never been on this team if we could of found a candidate for CF within. Its like a company ignoring the R&D department and getting passed by in the industry due to another competitor finding a cheap and better way to build a widget.

Borchard, Anderson, & Sweeney are why Rios is here

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)
I would assume that a bloated payroll with an underacheiving team that keeps fans from the game plays a part in how much money you have to spend on the draft. With the Pirates payroll, it makes it much easier to spend that much at once.

Another easy copout.

Stop making damned excuses for this team and expect them to actually make smart, future driven decisions.

The problem is that it's blatantly obvious that Jerry Reinsdorf despises drafting high schoolers. You can tell by what Hawk and Stone say during broadcasts, as well as how we've drafted. I just hate our philosophy of not going over slot/paying for latino players (not including Cubans). These actions seem to have caught up with our organization, and the result is a 127 million dollar team that isn't as talented as that money would lead you to believe.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
Maybe Chairman Reinsdorf doesn't want to spend money on something the organization has shown to be a weakness which is identifying amateur players who can play in MLB. It's made more difficult by their usual draft position.

I dont know, what does your guy on 35th think?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
Maybe Chairman Reinsdorf doesn't want to spend money on something the organization has shown to be a weakness which is identifying amateur players who can play in MLB. It's made more difficult by their usual draft position.

"Maybe if we hide from our problems they'll go away!!11!!"

And another copout, it's been proven countless times in the past 10 years or so that draft position may help, but does not hinder a team from restocking a system.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
I'm not going to argue that this is acceptable, but I still contend that we do add enough impact players on the cheap through other avenues. We just do things a bit unorthodox.

I agree that we find quality players in ways that other teams don't, but it hasn't led us to consistent winners and a manageable payroll with those winners.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
I agree that we find quality players in ways that other teams don't, but it hasn't led us to consistent winners and a manageable payroll with those winners.

Well, up until this year, I'd argue our payroll was pretty manageable.

And I have never viewed our failures to win this division as a lack of talent, which is what this complaint is all about. I view it as a lack of execution.

That falls more on the coaching of the players we do have than on the GM and FO for acquiring the players they have.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)

And I have never viewed our failures to win this division as a lack of talent, which is what this complaint is all about. I view it as a lack of execution.

That falls more on the coaching of the players we do have than on the GM and FO for acquiring the players they have.

This is very true. How many years in the last decade have we gone into the season not thinking we were the most talented team in the Central?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
This is very true. How many years in the last decade have we gone into the season not thinking we were the most talented team in the Central?

Most of them outside of 2007 and possibly last season, due to Ozzie's hairbrained decision.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)

See I view it as a lack of talent too, we always seem to be a player or two short of really being a complete team, and the draft/deep farm system would help with that (D Wise, Kotsay, etc) without putting the team at risk of losing millions of dollars from big contracts.

To me, it's all intangled, there is an impact in the players you have at the major league level from your prospects, whether it be what FA's you go after, extensions, or your ability to trade for/away players. So not being able to trade away expensive players or prospects for relief/help because your farm system is lacking is part of the lack execution.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)

Bingo. If there wasn't that idea annually, you could indict The Ninja Williams. Instead the players fail, you need to start talking about Hollywood Guillen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
Most of them outside of 2007 and possibly last season, due to Ozzie's hairbrained decision.

We also have one of the highest payrolls if not the highest payroll in the division every year, so yea we should be more talented on the major league level. But when you are missing that piece because of mistakes (every team makes mistakes), injuries, etc, and you don't have the resources to make a change, then you shouldn't expect that team to really be able to close out the season as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
Bingo. If there wasn't that idea annually, you could indict The Ninja Williams. Instead the players fail, you need to start talking about Hollywood Guillen.

Talent doesnt always mean production though. Would you say that the Sox have had the most productive teams in the past 5 years or so? I would easily say no.