Jim Hendry is out as GM

flavum

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hendry absolutely fleeced the Pirates in the deal that brought them Aramis and Lofton in '03, and the Marlins in the Hee Seop Choi for DLee deal in "04. I thought he scored on the 3-way Nomar deal, too. He probably just got lucky when he signed a rehabbing Ryan Dempster, but you have to give him props for that one as well.

He lost the deal for Juan Pierre, and probably the Dontrelle Willis for Matt Clement deal, too, but Clement did help them get "5 outs away."

Obviously, his greatest f*** ups were the contracts given to Aram, Zambozo, Bradley, and Soriano. IMO, Crane Kenney has to share blame for that, and Ricketts needs to keep cleaning up.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
Because you just overspent on your draft, fired your big spending GM and stated you are building through your system. Its pretty obvious to me that they arent players for big FA's any time soon.

That's what I was thinking, just wondering if there was other stuff to it. Don't forget that Buster Olney said last week I believe that Cubs didn't want to break the bank for any one player.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
That's what I was thinking, just wondering if there was other stuff to it. Don't forget that Buster Olney said last week I believe that Cubs didn't want to break the bank for any one player.

Not to mention they have to be way under what they projected for revenues, and Ricketts owes assloads of money on this team.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
The Ricketts made their plan VERY clear when they went incredibly overslot in this year's draft for double digit round guys to keep them out of college etc. They are building through the draft whether their fans like it or not. They would rather spend 27 million on amateur players than 27 million in Free Agency.

It should be interesting to see how attendance shapes up with that plan in motion. This year is showing that they need a winner to fill the stadium. They will still get decent crowds and some sellouts due to Wrigley, but it won't be packed every night.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
I wonder if that means Wilken is out? Because I will take him. IN fact I'll trade him for Kenny Williams.

And I hope the Cubs fans know that this now kills ANY chance of landing Pujols or Fielder.

PWSullivan Paul Sullivan

Ricketts wants Fleita and Wilken to stay. Will 'strongly reccommend' to new GM.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)
Son of a b****. That is the best thing that could ever happen to that franchise was getting rid of him. Now get rid of Wrigley Field (as well as most of that front office) and I might have to start taking the Cubs alot more seriously in winning.

The Cubs getting rid of Wrigley would be like Microsoft giving up Windows. Business suicide. Won't happen, shouldn't happen.

They do eventually need to gut or rebuild, but if they do anything other than rebuild a new Wrigley, in the same place with many of the same touches, it would be an epic fail.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
They do eventually need to gut or rebuild, but if they do anything other than rebuild a new Wrigley, in the same place with many of the same touches, it would be an epic fail.

Basically, they need Windows 7 after Vista.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
scottmerkin Scott Merkin

Hendry: "I don't think there's a finer owner in professional sports than Jerry (Reinsdorf)." White Sox have much respect for Hendry also ~

Somebody asked Kerry Wood what Hendry's legacy in Chicago will be.

Wood said he didn't know, because it may not be over in Chicago...."there's another team in town".

Could you imagine if the Sox ended up with Hendry and La Russa next season? Worst case scenario.

Edited by flavum

I guess I'll be the one who steps in and defends Hendry's ridiculous contracts here.

In 2006-2007, when Hendry was signing anything that could move, the Tribune Company was clearly planning to sell off the Cubs. Everyone and their grandmother knew that. Jim Hendry's job at that point was to maximize revenue, to show how much money could possibly come in from a winning team. Even if they had high expenses, it gave a revenue baseline that could be used in selling the team.

Hendry did his job. He put together a team that made a 2 year run at trying to win a World Series. Made it to the playoffs with easy victories in the Central twice, and sold out that ballpark every game. Set them up so that they could ad additional ads and those sort of revenue streams.

Dude was told to win. Not to win while maintaining cost control, not to make sure this team is competitive for the next 5 years...win for those 2 years so that the team could be sold at a high value.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...o-lead-the-cubs

Possible candidates to lead the Cubs

August, 19, 2011

Aug 19

12:19

PM CT

Email

Print

Comments

By ESPNChicago.com

[+] EnlargeRick Hahn

Jonathan Daniel/Getty ImagesWhite Sox assistant GM Rick Hahn is considered one of the strongest GM candidates in all of baseball.

Here are possible candidates to lead the Cubs after the ouster of Jim Hendry:

Rick Hahn: The Chicago White Sox vice president/assistant general manager is considered one of the top GM prospects in baseball. He oversees all aspects of baseball operations, and has a keen knowledge of sabermetrics. Baseball America ranked him a the top GM prospect in 2010. He's played a role in roster composition, acquisitions, talent evaluation and contract negotiations with the White Sox.

Josh Byrnes: The former Arizona Diamondbacks GM was groomed in the Boston Red Sox organization under Theo Epstein. The Diamondbacks went 349-378 in four-plus seasons under Byrnes. Arizona reached the NLCS in 2007. Byrnes is knowledgeable in the sabermetric side of baseball, and he's also been credited with solid payroll management.

Bobby Cox: Known for his long, successful run as manager of the Atlanta Braves, Cox also served as the Braves' GM from 1985-1990. Cox won four Manager of the Year awards and one World Series championship as manager of the Braves and Blue Jays. He also won 100 or more games in six different seasons.

John Schuerholtz: The man who signed away Greg Maddux from the Cubs was the Braves GM from 1990 to 2007. He was also the GM of the Kansas City Royals from 1982-1990. He won 2 World Series championships and 15 division titles during his tenure with those two clubs.

Terry Ryan: He had the difficult task of succeeding Andy MacPhail, who built two Twins World Series champions. When MacPhail left to take over the Cubs in 1994, Ryan took over as GM and endured losing seasons until 2001. But Ryan turned the small market Twins into a winning organization by building through the farm system. Beginning in 2001, Minnesota had winning seasons in six of seven seasons until Ryan stepped aside as GM after the 2007 season.

Pat Gillick: The special adviser for the Philadelphia Phillies has said he's not interested in being a GM, but he would take a president-level position with another team. Gillick, 74, was the architect of two world championship teams with the Toronto Blue Jays in 1992 and 1993 and one with the Phillies in 2008.