Humber Placed on DL

flavum

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that I'd call up the minor leaguer with the best chance of helping in the playoffs since he'll be playoff eligible if he stays on the roster through the end of August. Josh Kinney is definitely not that guy. My guess is he won't be on the roster come August 31st. Hopefully Viciedo can get healthy soon, because this would be a great way to make him playoff eligible and allow us a little more roster flexibility come playoff time.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 06:32 PM)
Seems to me that I'd call up the minor leaguer with the best chance of helping in the playoffs since he'll be playoff eligible if he stays on the roster through the end of August. Josh Kinney is definitely not that guy. My guess is he won't be on the roster come August 31st. Hopefully Viciedo can get healthy soon, because this would be a great way to make him playoff eligible and allow us a little more roster flexibility come playoff time.

When you have guys on the dl it gives you maneuvers around that rule.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 05:58 PM)
I thought the rule allows the 25 man roster as of August 31st + Humber to be playoff eligible. Is that not the case?

The 25-man roster plus any player on the major league DL is eligible. A DLed player's elgibility can also be taken by anyone on the 40 man roster. Basically, if Castro is on the DL on Aug. 31 and doesn't come back, Viciedo can take his playoff roster spot, even if he's not the 25 man at the end of August.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)

Playoffs?? PLAYOFFS????

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
The Sox do actually have a number of intriguing relievers to pull up, but keep a few things in mind...

--Lindsay, while talented, still struggles mightily with his control. Look at his peripherals. They may not think he's ready for patient MLB hitters.

--Reed, if they wait another couple weeks for the 9/1 callups, they avoiding starting his arb clock. Another year of him for cheap is probably more important than adding him now.

--Infante... no idea, I thought he'd come up.

There are other guys too, like Remenowsky and Nunez, but Rem doesn't seem ready yet and Nunez... like Infante, I have no idea why he wasn't called up.

His clock starts on September 1st anyway. September callups get credit for their 30 or so days service so calling up reed now would save us like 12 days of service, which will mean absolutely nothing in the long term.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 20, 2011 -> 03:59 AM)
Ugh. I absolutely loathe Juan Pierre. I don't even want to consider him returning.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 20, 2011 -> 05:27 AM)
Playoffs?? PLAYOFFS????

1.) He won't be back.

2.) Does anybody think our playoff chances are better than 10/90 at this point?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves here.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 20, 2011 -> 04:41 AM)
Is it okay to think Stewart might turn into a pretty darn good pitcher? I don't want to offend anybody.

Yes. Except he'll only have a good half year next year before having White Sox disease and suddenly can't pitch more than five innings effectively until he builds arm strength.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
His clock starts on September 1st anyway. September callups get credit for their 30 or so days service so calling up reed now would save us like 12 days of service, which will mean absolutely nothing in the long term.

For some reason I thought that September call-ups, who are on the 40-man but not the 25-man, didn't accrue service time towards that measure. If I'm wrong, then yeah, no idea why we saw Kinney over Reed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)
For some reason I thought that September call-ups, who are on the 40-man but not the 25-man, didn't accrue service time towards that measure. If I'm wrong, then yeah, no idea why we saw Kinney over Reed.

The other reason is that they don't think he is ready yet, at least that is what it means to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 08:15 AM)
The other reason is that they don't think he is ready yet, at least that is what it means to me.

Yeah I'd normally consider that, but really, they guy has just outright dominated at every level including AAA. It is possible he has some flaw not yet exposed by minor league hitting that they want to iron out first, but it is hard to believe that they way he has pitched so far.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 08:17 AM)
Yeah I'd normally consider that, but really, they guy has just outright dominated at every level including AAA. It is possible he has some flaw not yet exposed by minor league hitting that they want to iron out first, but it is hard to believe that they way he has pitched so far.

The numbers say one thing for sure, but we have seen plenty of guys kill the minors and still not be ready to go at the major league level.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 09:22 AM)
The numbers say one thing for sure, but we have seen plenty of guys kill the minors and still not be ready to go at the major league level.

But we've also seen plenty of guys who coaches/scouts doubt will make it in the major leagues get promoted and wind up in the bigs for 15 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)
Same thing with the vast majority of guys who kill in the minors too.

Exactly. Odds are if he isn't up here, he isn't ready. Instead the Sox bring up a guy they know they can get rid of pretty easily if need be. Plus with Pena on the DL, they can use an extra guy out of the minors to replace him if they were to actually make the playoffs, so Reed could still go even if he did get a Sept 1 call up.