Humber Placed on DL

flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 08:22 AM)
The numbers say one thing for sure, but we have seen plenty of guys kill the minors and still not be ready to go at the major league level.

Yeah, but, there are different varieties of "kill". There are guys like Ehren Wassermann, who put up good numbers in AAA but it never translated terrribly well (though even he had some success for a bit). But Reed, his peripheral numbers are just outstanding, far more dominant that many of those other guys like Ehren. And additionally, the scouting reports on Reed that we've gotten a glimpse of make it seem like he's the real deal.

Who knows, I don't watch the guy every day, but it seemed hard to believe to me that they were keeping him down for anything other than a financial reason. Since that reason was apparently wrong, I am at a loss.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 08:26 AM)
Because KW talks to Ozzie and Cooper anytime they bring a pitcher up to the Sox.

And he's surely never even heard of Reed (knowing Ozzie) and won't until he's on his 25 man roster and forced to used him.

Then if Reed is the best option w/ all things considered, KW needs to call him up and force Ozzie to use him. He still is the general manager.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
Then if Reed is the best option w/ all things considered, KW needs to call him up and force Ozzie to use him. He still is the general manager.

Kenny doesn't have that authority. That's the deal when only the owner can fire the manager, not the GM.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
Kenny doesn't have that authority. That's the deal when only the owner can fire the manager, not the GM.

So KW has no authority to decide who is on the roster? Does Ozzie have to sign off on all roster decisions and call-ups? If KW wanted Reed, but Ozzie said no, then that's it, end of story?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
So KW has no authority to decide who is on the roster? Does Ozzie have to sign off on all roster decisions and call-ups? If KW wanted Reed, but Ozzie said no, then that's it, end of story?

If KW wanted Reed on the roster he can make it happen, but he cannot force Ozzie to play him.

We saw exactly that story happen last year with Viciedo. Kenny put him on the roster, Ozzie benched him for a month.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
If KW wanted Reed on the roster he can make it happen, but he cannot force Ozzie to play him.

We saw exactly that story happen last year with Viciedo. Kenny put him on the roster, Ozzie benched him for a month.

That I understand. But you are only filling the last bullpen spot right now, it's not like you are gonna throw Reed into the 8th inning role immediately, you have plenty of set up guys who have performed well. (well, at least not until the team officially gives up on 2011)

My point was that Kinney over Reed had nothing to do with "Ozzie loving his veterans". If KW wanted Reed on the roster he would be, but it didn't make sense right now for the long reliever spot.