Get Lillibridge Games at Short

Marty34

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
But I still don't see how they sell letting Danks and Ramirez go to the fanbase and claiming to be "All In" still...

They can't. Impossible. Even if KW/Hahn pulled off a Sizemore/Lee/Phillips haul, it wouldn't be until 2013-2014 that some of the fans started to come back on board.

Keep Danks and trade Floyd then. Payroll would be @100M, but the trade return would take a hit. If the Sox will lose $7M this year on a $127M payroll, I think it's reasonable to assume a payroll in the neighborhood of $110M in 2012.

Except Floyd's value with team-friendly contracts for 2 years might even be more valuable than Danks for just one.

You could make arguments either way.

There are just too many question marks with Sale, Humber, Peavy and Stewart to do that if you really want to compete for the AL Central in 2012.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
Except Floyd's value with team-friendly contracts for 2 years might even be more valuable than Danks for just one.

You could make arguments either way.

There are just too many question marks with Sale, Humber, Peavy and Stewart to do that if you really want to compete for the AL Central in 2012.

We have Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd right now and we're on the fringe of competing. One of Floyd or Danks has to go. The other thing that there is no way around is Rios, Dunn, and Peavy all have to play up to their contract next year if we want to compete not matter what the rest of the roster looks like.

It's very well possible this team could play much better if they did eat 75% of Rios' contract.

Unfortunately, that will never happen.

But there's no way to put a dollar value on getting a "benched" or sulking Rios out of that clubhouse.

And DeAza has definitely been producing as well or better than anyone expected.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 09:20 PM)
It's very well possible this team could play much better if they did eat 75% of Rios' contract.

Unfortunately, that will never happen.

But there's no way to put a dollar value on getting a "benched" or sulking Rios out of that clubhouse.

And DeAza has definitely been producing as well or better than anyone expected.

I love how we 'have' to keep Rios and Dunn because of the money they are making.

But by keeping them we are 'likely' assured 2/9s of our lineup will be horrible, effectively killing our chances of being a good team.

Ah I love the economics of baseball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:34 AM)
I love how we 'have' to keep Rios and Dunn because of the money they are making.

But by keeping them we are 'likely' assured 2/9s of our lineup will be horrible, effectively killing our chances of being a good team.

Ah I love the economics of baseball.

There is a chance they will perform better next season. Rios has been better of late since De Aza came up.