Saladino POTW

southsider2k5

Winston-Salem Dash

The Dash are proud to announce that SS Tyler Saladino has been named the CL Player of the Week for Aug. 15-21.

Saladino put together a remarkable week in which he had a hit in all 6 games. He also owns a 5-game multi-hit streak entering today. During the period, Saladino led all minor leaguers w/a .630 (17-for-27) average w/a home run & 4 RBI. He had a minor-league-best 8 extra-base hits (4 doubles, 3 triples, 1 HR), including 2 triples on Sunday. In the game, Saladino went 4-for-6 w/3 RBI.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
With the second half he's been having is he a candidate for the AFL this fall?

Maybe. He did miss a month and a half with that broken hand in spring training, but I don't know if there's a huge need to get him extra at-bats.

Jon Gilmore is probably a good fit for the AFL because he's barely played this year and he's getting to the point where he needs to put up or shut up. Maybe Ryan Buch if the Sox want to give him a few more innings. Wes Whisler if they think his sidearm is workable. Santos Rodriguez is a good arm that could probably use some extra innings.

The Sox tend to send more relievers to get them more work and other than Gilmore, I think that's who we'll see there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
Its funny I was thinking of Addison Reed on the top of that list before you said relievers. Heck a speculation article on who might be the Sox guys in AFL could be a good one. I wonder if a guy like Jared Mitchell might be a guy too.

Mitchell is a possibility, but I don't know what the Sox think of him. They know better than anyone how much his injury set him back and how much his 'rust' cost him this year. Hard to know what's good for him without knowing that.

As for Reed, the guy has a 24:2 K:BB in AAA. The AFL might be a waste for him. He has nothing left to prove in the minors and should be up in September.

Gilmore

Jose Martinez

Kuhn

Phegley

Santos Rodriguez

Rienzo

Reed

Infante

Mitchell

Saladino

Silverio

You'd have to think that might be at least 4-5 of their picks, from a list similar to that.

If Walker had absolutely torn apart A ball, they might have considered pushing him, but absolutely no way now.

Have they started the AFL "B" league yet? I could see Saladino and Thompson being assigned there and wouldn't mind seeing if Rangel Ravelo can keep up his productivity against better competition.

Also, Gilmore has been really impressive lately and would really like to see him in the AFL. I think we need to temper our expectations regarding his power potential, maybe he can develop into a Wally Joyner, John Olerud-lite type player in a few years.

Edited by Bruce_Blixton

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)
Saladino 2-4 3B, BB tonight. His 4th triple in 4 games.

Where do you rank him in the system at this point? I think I have him at 4 behind Viciedo, Reed and Thompson. Almost seems like he's 4th by default, but still.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 11:28 PM)
Where do you rank him in the system at this point? I think I have him at 4 behind Viciedo, Reed and Thompson. Almost seems like he's 4th by default, but still.

Weird, I just made my WSI post stating I'd have him 3rd behind Dayan and Reed. A case for him being 4th behind Trayce can certainly be made though.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
Weird, I just made my WSI post stating I'd have him 3rd behind Dayan and Reed. A case for him being 4th behind Trayce can certainly be made though.

Ha touche. Good to know I'm not the only one that has him that high. Seems fairly clear to me that he's top 5, but some of the prospect places are slower to move players.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
Mitchell is a possibility, but I don't know what the Sox think of him. They know better than anyone how much his injury set him back and how much his 'rust' cost him this year. Hard to know what's good for him without knowing that.

As for Reed, the guy has a 24:2 K:BB in AAA. The AFL might be a waste for him. He has nothing left to prove in the minors and should be up in September.

Yeah most of my thinking of Mitchell is the obviousness of his missing so much time last year with that injury.

Reed I was thinking of to put more innings and reps on to that arm to help him sharpen up those secondary pitches.