New car shopping

Iwritecode

Test drove a few Hyundai's tonight to get a feel for them, included a 2013 Elantra (didn't have the Elantra GT in stock), 2013 Sonata GLS, and 2012 Sonata SE 2.0T.

Only one I was impressed by for style and performance was the 2012 Sonata, but it was a demo with over 4k miles so I told them I needed a steal to change my mind.

This is what they told me after negotiations:

MSRP- 28700

Incentives - 2000

Final price: 23000

But after rebates KBB has it at 24,500, so I wasn't too impressed considering it was a demo and had so many miles on it. So I told them to honor their trade in advertised program (giving an additional $1k on the trade in, which was already low balled at 3k, so 4K total), and I wanted then the overall to be 19K. Financier said no, have a good night, and that was that.

Maybe I asked for too much, but I didn't truly want a sedan anyways, I'm test driving the 2008 Infiniti EX35 tomorrow.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 07:38 PM)
Test drove a few Hyundai's tonight to get a feel for them, included a 2013 Elantra (didn't have the Elantra GT in stock), 2013 Sonata GLS, and 2012 Sonata SE 2.0T.

Only one I was impressed by for style and performance was the 2012 Sonata, but it was a demo with over 4k miles so I told them I needed a steal to change my mind.

This is what they told me after negotiations:

MSRP- 28700

Incentives - 2000

Final price: 23000

But after rebates KBB has it at 24,500, so I wasn't too impressed considering it was a demo and had so many miles on it. So I told them to honor their trade in advertised program (giving an additional $1k on the trade in, which was already low balled at 3k, so 4K total), and I wanted then the overall to be 19K. Financier said no, have a good night, and that was that.

Maybe I asked for too much, but I didn't truly want a sedan anyways, I'm test driving the 2008 Infiniti EX35 tomorrow.

Give them a day or two, they may still call you back. Then you know you have them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
If you don't want the car, don't buy it.

It drove very well, and I liked the interior a lot (was suped up with Nav, very comfortable, good layout).

I just don't love the exterior. As I mentioned Im going to test drive the Infiniti EX35, there's one with half the miles and only $2k more but it's a lot farther, so once I see how I like the closer one I may go there and see if I can get them to come down a bit.

So I test drove the Infiniti and loved it, played it off as if I was "meh" towards it, the car was "on sale" but the salesman said "What if I said I could sell it to you for $xx today, would you buy it today" which was about 4k cheaper. I said I'd consider it depending on the trade in.

Now I knew this was a great price from all my research, so I was interested in this deal and we talked about the trade in a bit. He went back with $xx offer and trade in number, came back saying he couldn't do it, so I dropped the trade in by a few hundred and raised the car price by $100, since he had quoted me at that price. Came back and said can't do it, so now I know it was a bait game to get me to negotiate, went up $500 because I knew that I was looking to save $2k off the sale price anyways so Im still okay, but told him that was my final offer, he came back and said nope so I drove away.

They've called me back 3 times in the past 24 hours, so I sent them one final pitch which raises it just a bit more, so I'm about $1k higher than their initial "offer" for car price and my very reasonable trade in request. If they can't do that then I'm just saying no, until they come back saying that offer is good enough.

But these guys have been slimey since negotiations started, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
I HATE the negotiation process in buying cars. I think that is part of the reason I drive my cars into the ground.

It's really getting on my nerves, if they don't agree to my price I'm going to a dealer up by where I work to look at cars there, not one rating below a full 5/5 on dealer rater.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
So I test drove the Infiniti and loved it, played it off as if I was "meh" towards it, the car was "on sale" but the salesman said "What if I said I could sell it to you for $xx today, would you buy it today" which was about 4k cheaper. I said I'd consider it depending on the trade in.

Now I knew this was a great price from all my research, so I was interested in this deal and we talked about the trade in a bit. He went back with $xx offer and trade in number, came back saying he couldn't do it, so I dropped the trade in by a few hundred and raised the car price by $100, since he had quoted me at that price. Came back and said can't do it, so now I know it was a bait game to get me to negotiate, went up $500 because I knew that I was looking to save $2k off the sale price anyways so Im still okay, but told him that was my final offer, he came back and said nope so I drove away.

They've called me back 3 times in the past 24 hours, so I sent them one final pitch which raises it just a bit more, so I'm about $1k higher than their initial "offer" for car price and my very reasonable trade in request. If they can't do that then I'm just saying no, until they come back saying that offer is good enough.

But these guys have been slimey since negotiations started, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

They're ALL slimeballs!

Going shopping for a new car today. I got an offer in the mail from a Hyundai dealership telling me that they are willing to give up to $2k above KBB for my '08 Elantra since they have a shortage on their lot. I don't know how much stock to put in that offer. And I know dealers often will add money to a trade without taking money off of the price.

My car is low mileage (32k) and in pretty good shape.

I think I'm in a pretty good spot since I don't really need to get a new car, I'm just interested to see what they actually are willing to offer me.

Any thoughts on how I should handle the dealer?

And I know dealers often will add money to a trade without taking money off of the price.

This. They will give you 2K more than they should for your trade-in, but you lose 2K of negotiating space on the price of the new car, so you win nothing.

Now, if they will give you that 2K in cash without you having to buy one of their cars, that's a pretty good deal.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
This. They will give you 2K more than they should for your trade-in, but you lose 2K of negotiating space on the price of the new car, so you win nothing.

Now, if they will give you that 2K in cash without you having to buy one of their cars, that's a pretty good deal.

Yep. It is just a cheap come on to try to get you down to the dealership. I wouldn't sweat it unless you have been wanting to trade up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So the wifey and I are starting to look into buying a second car. We have a 2010 Ford Escape which is good for the baby and trips and whatnot, but we need a better commuter car for her to get to work. Probably 25-30 miles a day in mostly city or packed highway driving. And with enough space in the backseat to put a car seat.

I'd like to get a hybrid, but looking at the options it seems like you're stuck with a crappy look (Prius) or a hatchback. I'm not really into either one. In terms of a sedan, it looks like one of the best options is the Toyota Camry.

Anyone read up on cars as a hobby? Any suggestions?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
So the wifey and I are starting to look into buying a second car. We have a 2010 Ford Escape which is good for the baby and trips and whatnot, but we need a better commuter car for her to get to work. Probably 25-30 miles a day in mostly city or packed highway driving. And with enough space in the backseat to put a car seat.

I'd like to get a hybrid, but looking at the options it seems like you're stuck with a crappy look (Prius) or a hatchback. I'm not really into either one. In terms of a sedan, it looks like one of the best options is the Toyota Camry.

Its kinda funny, you and I are on almost the same path, you are just a couple years behind me. We had a 2008 Ford Escape (Hybrid in our case), as our one car, eventually had the one kid... then moved to the suburbs, had a 2nd kid, and then caved in to get a 2nd car.

If you are thinking hybrids, check out lists on this site to see what is out there (will show you traditional hybrids, electrics, plug-ins, etc. I personally am a fan of the plug-in hybrids, sort of a best of both worlds thing, but every has different needs of course (and there are only a few models availabel now: Prius PH, Chevy Volt). As for traditional hybrid sedans, you've got the hybrid versions of lots of sedans (Prius, Honda Civic, Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima).

For us, we almost bought the Camry Hybrid. Very reliable cars, great mileage, etc. We ended up getting an SUV instead (not a hybrid), for various reasons, but if we had gone sedan, the Camry Hybrid would definitely have won out. As for other sedans in that size range, the Ford Fusion is just a bit smaller and worth looking at... and Honda will have a hybrid Accord soon, I think for 2013 maybe.

I've talked to a friend about the Ford Fusion Hybrid, it looks fantastic and is moderately priced (upgraded model is right around $30k), plus has some incentives on it.

I'd also explore the Optima Hybrid and Sonata Hybrid if you like their styling.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
Its kinda funny, you and I are on almost the same path, you are just a couple years behind me. We had a 2008 Ford Escape (Hybrid in our case), as our one car, eventually had the one kid... then moved to the suburbs, had a 2nd kid, and then caved in to get a 2nd car.

If you are thinking hybrids, check out lists on this site to see what is out there (will show you traditional hybrids, electrics, plug-ins, etc. I personally am a fan of the plug-in hybrids, sort of a best of both worlds thing, but every has different needs of course (and there are only a few models availabel now: Prius PH, Chevy Volt). As for traditional hybrid sedans, you've got the hybrid versions of lots of sedans (Prius, Honda Civic, Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima).

For us, we almost bought the Camry Hybrid. Very reliable cars, great mileage, etc. We ended up getting an SUV instead (not a hybrid), for various reasons, but if we had gone sedan, the Camry Hybrid would definitely have won out. As for other sedans in that size range, the Ford Fusion is just a bit smaller and worth looking at... and Honda will have a hybrid Accord soon, I think for 2013 maybe.

I reference you to my wife when we discussed future family plans and whether the Escape would be big enough for 2 car seats and our boston terrier. So what SUV did you buy? Maybe I need to follow your lead!

Ford I guess has a European model (C-Max) they are bringing over soon that gets better gas mileage than the Pruis (47mpg), but again it's a hatcback thing. I'd get the Prius but I hate that Aztek look of the back of the car.

Just buy a Honda Civic. Good gas mileage, enough backseat room and cheap.