Indians awarded claim on Thome

justBLAZE

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
God, just let the man go to Philadelphia and let him try to win a championship to finish his career.

I would feel sorry for him if he had to come back here.

Kenny--don't do it.

He wouldnt even get that far in the waiver process.

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
He wouldnt even get that far in the waiver process.

There's a sneaky way of the Twins releasing him, and letting him sign as a free agent, but it's up in the air if MLB will allow it.

Either way, the Sox have no business making trades at this point. It's over.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
Then the thread title needs to be edited.

not really.

busters twitter states :there is high expectation among baseball execs that cws awarded claim for thome. whats unknown, whether a deal can be worked out.

i mean, if you want to start splitting hairs about exact meanings, then you can stop calling AA the greatest gm in history any time

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
So we let a 21-year old phenom waste away at AAA for months when he could've made a difference in the standings, yet we're trying to acquire a 42-year old DH with a little over a month left in the season and our playoff hopes all but done?

What a bunch of sorry ass busters running the show on the south side.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)
There is no reason for JT to be claimed by the Sox this makes no sense at all.

This entire year as a whole made no sense to me (from decisions in the front office, down to personnel decisions from the minors) so why not have one last hurrah?

Watch out he might give them Viciedo

According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, there is a "high expectation" among baseball executives that the White Sox will win the claim for Jim Thome.

Thome was placed on waivers Monday. If the White Sox do indeed win the claim, they will have to work out a trade. If the Twins don't get a satisfactory offer, they could always pull him back. Thome, who turns 41 on Saturday, is batting .253/.363/.495 with 12 homers and an .858 OPS over 234 plate appearances this season.

Were in win now mode he might say.....

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
This entire year as a whole made no sense to me (from decisions in the front office, down to personnel decisions from the minors) so why not have one last hurrah?

Like I said, wait until Ozzie says it's not fair to Pierre to not play him the rest of the way and let him continue to start every game. Viciedo and De Aza will be on a platoon probably, and AJP will get most of the at bats at catcher.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 10:16 AM)

The most perplexing season I've witnessed in my 20 years as a Sox fan. From the mishandlings of Viciedo/Sale/Peavy, to running Dunn/Rios out there continuously when they were doing nothing but sabotaging the season, to drafting a Keenyn Walker when there were clearly better players to be had and no money was devoted to a first round pick, oney guillen and his bulls***, not parting with the few assets you had before the deadline, etc, etc, etc.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)
The most perplexing season I've witnessed in my 20 years as a Sox fan. From the mishandlings of Viciedo/Sale/Peavy, to running Dunn/Rios out there continuously when they were doing nothing but sabotaging the season, to drafting a Keenyn Walker when there were clearly better players to be had and no money was devoted to a first round pick, oney guillen and his bulls***, not parting with the few assets you had before the deadline, etc, etc, etc.

As a buddy of mine says, KW and Ozzie seem like they're directing/managing this club like they're not going to be back next year. All hands on deck, future be damned.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
Forgot about not acquiring Rasmus because of the Mark Teahen albatross.

Our Major League scouts continue to do a terrible job. With Frasor looking like a pitching machine on the mound, he's just another in a long line of veteran MLB players that came to the Sox and basically immediately sucked (Dunn, Rios, Teahen).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
Forgot about not acquiring Rasmus because of the Mark Teahen albatross.

Do we know that's 100% true? Was there a deal on the table for Rasmus that KW turned down? Or are we just assuming a deal could have been worked out?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 07:28 AM)
"I'd love to add Jim Thome back, to be honest with you," said Guillen, who was looking for a more versatile designated hitter that also could play the field when Thome left for Minnesota in 2010. "A lot of people think I don't want Jimmy. It was just at that time we didn't have any place for him.

"But I have said day in and day out that Jimmy is one of my favorite guys in baseball. That's up to [general manger] Kenny [Williams]. I don't know if we're going to have five DHs. I don't expect him to be here, but if they want to bring him here, if you ask anybody wearing this uniform if they want Jim Thome back, everybody here would say yes. But that's not our department." Scott Merkin

Sure, we have Adam Dunn but we don't actually need him anymore. Who are the other 5 DH's? Viciedo? Konerko? Flowers? Lillibridge? Quentin?

The prevailing hypocrisy, double-speak and knife in the back routine with KW and Guillen this year and has been more interesting than the play in the field.

Sometimes (such as last night's MLB "game"), you really think Ozzie is daring Reindsdorf and/or KW to fire him.

Funny and sad, but true.

This is just weird and pathetic. The Sox could have kept big Jim for 1.5 million two years ago but forced him out. This team has really been a joke with no plan claiming has-beens like Manny, over-paid never weres like Alex Rios, etc.

Now Kenny, what are you going to do? Have Dunn ride the bench while a 42 year old who is better than him plays DH? Have Thome ride out his final days on the bench for those few great standing ovations as #25 sells some tickets and a few more jerseys? You could have had Viciedo raking up here before he got injured, and he could come up now.

This team has no plan and is grasping at straws trying to steal a possible bench World Series ring from Big Jim, as well as your money, White Sox fans.

My sig is returned.