Indians awarded claim on Thome

justBLAZE

This is the first time since 1984 that I haven't gone to a game in person, not counting a rain out I had a ticket for in April. Nothing that this team has done this year will push me to go buy a ticket before the season is up. Having Thome sitting on the bench or DHing won't change anything either.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
This is the first time since 1984 that I haven't gone to a game in person, not counting a rain out I had a ticket for in April. Nothing that this team has done this year will push me to go buy a ticket before the season is up. Having Thome sitting on the bench or DHing won't change anything either.

I'll give you some free ones so you can go and weep yourself to sleep after a loss.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
I'll give you some free ones so you can go and weep yourself to sleep after a loss.

Hey, if you're giving out free tickets...

I've gone to 3 games this year, which is outlandishly low for me. And those 3 I attended were free, which is the only way I'll go. I will not pay a dime towards ticket sales until Ozzie's gone.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)

I was offered free tickets 10 rows off the field for a date in September. I declined.

This sucks. I went to 7 games in April/May, then realized this f***ing team blows. I wish management would have realized that and gone through with a blowup prior to the deadline. God damn KW, always down with the ship instead of hopping on a raft and manning the next one. This team is f***ed for a long time.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
Hey, if you're giving out free tickets...

I've gone to 3 games this year, which is outlandishly low for me. And those 3 I attended were free, which is the only way I'll go. I will not pay a dime towards ticket sales until Ozzie's gone.

Ill throw em up here time to time when I dont feel like going through selling them or when there is no interest.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
Not to mention they pretty much have an automatic win when Verlander touches the mound.

Tigers are damn good. The best starting pitcher in baseball, the best closer in baseball, one of the best 1B in the majors, one of the best SS in the majors, one of the best catchers in the majors...and then you have a lot of other solid bads. I know Benoit started off poorly, but he's been much better lately as well.

How painfully laughable would it be if the Sox make a "convoluted" roster move (bogus DL stint, 11 pitchers, etc.) to find a place for Thome, when the same tactics could have been used to get DV and/or ADA on the roster months earlier, but weren't?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Tigers are damn good. The best starting pitcher in baseball, the best closer in baseball, one of the best 1B in the majors, one of the best SS in the majors, one of the best catchers in the majors...and then you have a lot of other solid bads. I know Benoit started off poorly, but he's been much better lately as well.

Kimbrel >>> Valverde

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
I was offered free tickets 10 rows off the field for a date in September. I declined.

This sucks. I went to 7 games in April/May, then realized this f***ing team blows. I wish management would have realized that and gone through with a blowup prior to the deadline. God damn KW, always down with the ship instead of hopping on a raft and manning the next one. This team is f***ed for a long time.

I'm quite sure the management knew what they had. I think they thought they could fool the fans into believing they were "in contention" so that they could make up their losses. It seems to have worked, too, judging by the amount of gullible posters on this site alone.

I can't believe how many people scoffed at the Doug Fister acquisition. There there's a damn-fine pitcher.

Wow. Are we talking about the same team? Best closer? Ha. There is a better SS in their own division. Once you get past the best pitcher, the next 4 starters are questionable heading into a playoff series. Let's not let this little hot streak fool us now. The NL West is the only other division they would be leading, and that's by a half game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
I know there's better relievers (I do love me some Kimbrel), but hard to argue with perfection

No, it's not. If a guy is getting out of trouble all the time it's only a matter of time until he's snakebitten.

You're smarter than this.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
This is the first time since 1984 that I haven't gone to a game in person, not counting a rain out I had a ticket for in April.

Same. Usually I'll go to 2-3 a year nowadays. (used to be 5 a year) I have not gone to any games this season, and my job offers very sweet deals.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
I hope a lot more season ticket holders are doing the same thing. Money talks.

I'm sure they dont care much about my tiny investment, but I just hope it gets forwarded to a few people and gets some sort of reaction. This would be my 10th year with season tickets and I'm not renewing, I should be the exact target market that the Sox should worry about losing.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
I can't believe how many people scoffed at the Doug Fister acquisition. There there's a damn-fine pitcher.

Same people who probably think Peavy is going to regain form and put up better numbers next year than Fister. Heck, people think Scherzer is this terrible pitcher when he's been pretty good this year also.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
No, it's not. If a guy is getting out of trouble all the time it's only a matter of time until he's snakebitten.

Relievers are the streakiest, least-dependable players in major league baseball (for obvious reasons). The motherf***er is perfect and it's the end of August. There's no doubting he's been the best this year. You go to the 9th down a run, the game is over against the Tigers.

Next year, he'll probably lose his first 8 times out, but when you're a hot reliever, sometimes it just works.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 05:25 PM)

The results are all that matters, and Valverde has had a magical season so far this year. Reminds me a little of the Cotts/Politte 2005 success. At this point in season, it's hard to argue "it's just a matter of time".