Indians awarded claim on Thome

justBLAZE

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 05:25 PM)
Wow. Are we talking about the same team? Best closer? Ha. There is a better SS in their own division. Once you get past the best pitcher, the next 4 starters are questionable heading into a playoff series. Let's not let this little hot streak fool us now.

Peralta's numbers are easily better than Cabrera's this year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
Same people who probably think Peavy is going to regain form and put up better numbers next year than Fister. Heck, people think Scherzer is this terrible pitcher when he's been pretty good this year also.

Scherzer has put up 2.2 WAR this year. That puts him solidly in the class with guys like John Danks, Paul Maholm, Ryan Vogelsong, Jeff Francis, Bartolo Colon, etc.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
Isn't that pretty good?

I guess, "pretty good" isn't a real compliment, so maybe.

I wouldn't say John Danks has been "Pretty good" this year, I'd say he's been an average pitcher at best and a big disappointment for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)
I guess, "pretty good" isn't a real compliment, so maybe.

I wouldn't say John Danks has been "Pretty good" this year, I'd say he's been an average pitcher at best and a big disappointment for him.

That's the thing...for everyone that has said if the Sox make the postseason, they have the pitching staff to scare teams makes no sense then because if Scherzer is as good as our #2 (Danks), then sure seems like Tigers have a pitching advantage in postseason with a true ace going for them. And I would definitely say Vogelsong has been better than pretty good this year, so I guess I really don't get how WAR is calculate sometimes.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
That's the thing...for everyone that has said if the Sox make the postseason, they have the pitching staff to scare teams makes no sense then because if Scherzer is as good as our #2 (Danks), then sure seems like Tigers have a pitching advantage in postseason with a true ace going for them. And I would definitely say Vogelsong has been better than pretty good this year, so I guess I really don't get how WAR is calculate sometimes.

Danks also missed a month.

And hopefully if you somehow got to the playoffs, you get the 2nd half John Danks rather than the 0-7 first half John Danks. big difference.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)
I'd rather see Jim go someplace where he can win a title.

Those teams already have someone better. Who in the NL wants a pinch hitter.

I wish the Sox were a NL team. It fits the current manager and would prevent the current GM from making more mistakes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)

And hopefully if you somehow got to the playoffs, you get the 2nd half John Danks rather than the 0-7 first half John Danks. big difference.

Danks and Scherzer have both had excellent 2nd halves. Danks is 3.05 ERA with 1.23 WHIP, Max is 3.13 ERA with 1.09 WHIP

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)

John Danks is what he is... a near-4 era pitcher. He is probably the most over-valued guy on Soxtalk.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
John Danks is what he is... a near-4 era pitcher. He is probably the most over-valued guy on Soxtalk.

Pretty much. He's got a lot going for him that will make him a lot of money, but I don't think he's got another gear that will suddenly turn him into an ace.

The Sox should most certainly take offers on him this winter.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
he has a full no-trade clause and I don't see him going from one loser to another, not unless the twins ask him too.

Can a NTC actually block a straight waiver claim if the Twins let him go?

Rios had an NTC as well that didn't stop the waiver claim.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
I'd f***ing love Kubel, but the Twins would never let him go to us. I would be willing to part with some serious talent for him.

But he's a free agent after this year. Only way I do this is if we're able to extend him and he's playing LF for Sox next year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
Peralta's numbers are easily better than Cabrera's this year.

I did underestimate Peralta's numbers, although I was referring to Alexei. Peralta is one of the top hitting SS this year, but he is playing a bit over his head, so I have a hard time labeling him best SS in baseball.