Indians awarded claim on Thome

justBLAZE

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)
I did underestimate Peralta's numbers, although I was referring to Alexei. Peralta is one of the top hitting SS this year, but he is playing a bit over his head, so I have a hard time labeling him best SS in baseball.

Again, at this point in the season, it's hard to argue that someone is playing a bit over his head. If the players hasn't collapsed by now, it's very likely they're just going to have a "fluke" season.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still a bit baffled by this "Detroit is solid" talk. They have a total run differential on the season of +5. They're leading what is clearly the worst division in MLB. They've had a weak schedule, which is of course a function of playing the AL Central, and they have a unique ballpark that gives them a pretty large homefield advantage against weaker teams

The Sox aren't going to catch them barring a miracle, but I can't see how people have decided a team that can't run away with this year's AL Central is a monster.

The funny thing is, even though I seem to be the only one in here who is OK with the acquisition (if it even happens), the biggest reason I would hesitate isn't even being discussed. The problem is Adam Dunn. I have almost no doubt that Thome is going to do better than Dunn the rest of this season. But we have Dunn signed for 3 more years, and will need the guy to perform. If we take the bat out of his hands the rest of the year, that will not help the Sox' future, and may indeed hurt it.

If I were to hesitate on the move, that is the biggest reason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
The Sox aren't going to catch them barring a miracle, but I can't see how people have decided a team that can't run away with this year's AL Central is a monster.

I don't think anyone called them a monster or predicts them to win the World Series. However, they have a big enough lead in the AL Central right now that it can be considered that they are running away with it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)
I'm still a bit baffled by this "Detroit is solid" talk. They have a total run differential on the season of +5. They're leading what is clearly the worst division in MLB. They've had a weak schedule, which is of course a function of playing the AL Central, and they have a unique ballpark that gives them a pretty large homefield advantage against weaker teams

thank you. couldn't agree more.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)
I don't think anyone called them a monster or predicts them to win the World Series. However, they have a big enough lead in the AL Central right now that it can be considered that they are running away with it.

Well fathom did call them "damn good", so that's what we have been questioning. Nothing to do with the White Sox chances.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
I'm quite sure the management knew what they had. I think they thought they could fool the fans into believing they were "in contention" so that they could make up their losses. It seems to have worked, too, judging by the amount of gullible posters on this site alone.

Congrats to all of the media and fans who decided to revive the term "White Flag"

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
Well fathom did call them "damn good", so that's what we have been questioning. Nothing to do with the White Sox chances.

They have the 4th best record in the AL. Even if they have a s***ty division, they're pretty damn good.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
Again, at this point in the season, it's hard to argue that someone is playing a bit over his head. If the players hasn't collapsed by now, it's very likely they're just going to have a "fluke" season.

So this power binge from Lillibridge is definitely for real and he's not playing over his head? A guy can have a full "fluke" season and come back the next year and struggle. Look through Peralta's career numbers. He's had one season similar to this, one a bit worse, and 4 more that aren't even close to this.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
They have the 4th best record in the AL. Even if they have a s***ty division, they're pretty damn good.

And their winning percentage vs. that s***ty division is .625. They are .500 vs. the rest of baseball.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
So this power binge from Lillibridge is definitely for real and he's not playing over his head? A guy can have a full "fluke" season and come back the next year and struggle. Look through Peralta's career numbers. He's had one season similar to this, one a bit worse, and 4 more that aren't even close to this.

Other than nearly 3 times as many PA's for Peralta as Lillibridge, not a whole lot is different.

Which is not really to denigrate your thought so much as it reminds me again how under-utilized the Elf has been this year, while being an effective player. When you think of the number of AB's that guys like Mackowiak got here, like Omar had here last year, it makes you wonder. It's like Ozzie decided to go with the regulars MORE this year while they were sucking to high heaven - whether as a vote of confidence to the struggling players, a scorched-earth sadistic death wish on his Sox tenure, or a "I'm gonna drag fuggin Kinny doan wit me" attitude, take your pick.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
All I know is that god damn 50 cent KFC hot wings deal ad is making me hungrier than the time I got so drunk that I walked through the Taco Bell drive thru because I had no car.

They never let me walk through the drive thru anywhere. I either have to find a cab to drive thru it or drunkenly convince a stranger to let me ride in their car. I used to pull that 2nd move at the Taco Bell by Wrigley all the time cause the inside was mayhem.

Edited by LittleHurt05

I hope the Twins did let him go to us, just to mock us.

Unfortunately, that involves dealing with a real human being's feelings as well, and they would never do that because of the respect they have for him up there.

Kubel makes pretty much zero sense, unless the goal is to keep Viciedo from every playing in the big leagues again. Probably they'll sign Kubel to a three-year deal, keep Quentin and then Viciedo will be stuck in AAA hell forever.

Would actually love to see Kubel and Viciedo together (from an offensive perspective) in the same outfield, but that would turn it into a zone rating/fielding minefield...because the "eye test" tells you Alex Rios hasn't even been an average CFer this year.

And as far as Frasor goes, it seems like he might be another Riske. Where we decline the club option and don't offer arbitration. We'll see how well "Edwin Jackson Stewart" with a mullet does against the 2nd best pitcher in the AL. It might not be a pretty sight with the Angels sniffing a chance to get back into the AL West race.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
The stats agree on this one.

Lousy coming in on balls, god-awful on balls behind him, too timid near the other OFers when ranging to the sides, occasional laziness/unawareness.

I've seen enough to need to see De Aza/Lilli in CF way more than Rios for the rest of this season.