Gamethread: White Sox vs Angels

Kyyle23

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 09:30 PM)
The central might finally be evolving again. Indians have some nice young players and if the Royals ever put it together...

I think Cleveland got a ton of breaks with a lot of come from behind victories this year and are still at the Sox level with the Sox playing most of the year with basically a guy hitting like a pitcher in the clean up spot. KC has some heralded players, but they have to do it at the major league level before I believe. Detroit could be a problem because the get Maggs off the books, will probably have some playoff cash this year and Illich will probably spend on pitching. Minnesota has huge question marks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 02:34 AM)
I think Cleveland got a ton of breaks with a lot of come from behind victories this year and are still at the Sox level with the Sox playing most of the year with basically a guy hitting like a pitcher in the clean up spot. KC has some heralded players, but they have to do it at the major league level before I believe. Detroit could be a problem because the get Maggs off the books, will probably have some playoff cash this year and Illich will probably spend on pitching. Minnesota has huge question marks.

Thing is we're saddled with Dunn and Rios and with them doing this again, we're .500ish at best again. That's two serious holes at positions that can't afford to be holes.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 08:18 PM)
Alexei could win the GG every year but plays like that stay in the voters minds. Get your f***ing head in the f***ing game. You would think a guy with his background would really appreciate what he has now.

I find that award is more about offense than defense.

I'm shocked that Buehrle has struggled once we went back to a 5 man rotation; it's not like he's out of shape, has to be treated with kid gloves during spring training and his arm is essentially tired from June on, every goddamn year. Seriously, when Phil Rogers suggested a few weeks ago that Ozzie move off the 6-man and "ride" Mark, I once again concluded that Rogers is silly. Anyone who watches the Sox knows Mark's history, despite what a competitor and great guy he is.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 03:34 AM)

Detroit far and away has the best chance of success the next few years.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
I find that award is more about offense than defense.

A good publicity tour can win it. Its voted on by managers and coaches and they can't vote for their own. I think they vote more who they would want in their line up at SS than who they thought had the best year fielding.