8/23 games

Cerbaho-WG

Charlotte loses in 13 http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...chraaa_gwiaaa_1

Leesman on the hill for Bham http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...biraax_hunaax_1

The ball must look as big as the moon for Saladino right now. http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...wswafa_salafa_1

Trayce with an XBH already for Kanny http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...kanafx_augafx_1

Bristol getting pummeled http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...elirok_brirok_1

Great Falls later tonight

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 02:26 AM)
Mitchell hitting .138 in August entering today and he's 0-4 today. Yikes.

Yeah, at this point, it would be a minor miracle for him to become a major prospect again. Thompson is far and away our top outfield prospect besides Viciedo.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 08:39 PM)
Yeah, at this point, it would be a minor miracle for him to become a major prospect again. Thompson is far and away our top outfield prospect besides Viciedo.

If by "far and away" you are referring purely to ceiling, then yes. If you mean chances of actually becoming a productive major leaguer, I'd say there are a couple others at a similar level or possibly higher. So I'd hesitiate to use "far and away" in the overall sense.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 02:53 AM)
If by "far and away" you are referring purely to ceiling, then yes. If you mean chances of actually becoming a productive major leaguer, I'd say there are a couple others at a similar level or possibly higher. So I'd hesitiate to use "far and away" in the overall sense.

Who are you referring to

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 08:53 PM)

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 08:55 PM)
Who are you referring to

Yeah seriously I don't see anyone that comes close to Thompson in value right now. Sure, there are other guys closer to the bigs, but Thompson has major power, good defense, decent speed and draws some walks. I don't see any other OF prospects in the system that project as regulars.

Short, Marrero and Martinez are all more likely to end up in David Cook/Maurice Gartrell-Land than a major league roster.

Danks is clearly on the outside looking in and he still has more upside than those three, arguably (especially in light of Flowers' surprising offensive resurgence the last two weeks after being given up for dead).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
Short, Marrero and Martinez are all more likely to end up in David Cook/Maurice Gartrell-Land than a major league roster.

Danks is clearly on the outside looking in and he still has more upside than those three, arguably (especially in light of Flowers' surprising offensive resurgence the last two weeks after being given up for dead).

I like how Flowers was "given up for dead" because of one year...

2006 - .838

2007 - .866

2008 - .921

2009 - .939

2010 - .768 (.768??? he clearly sucks let's dump him)

2011 - .890 (oops)

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
Has to be referring to Short and Marrero. There's no one else.

Not even Marrero. I was thinking, for example, that Brandon Short has a better shot at being a major leaguer than Thompson, though clearly his ceiling is lower. Jose Martinez is toolsy and raw like Thompson, but still more polished, and I'd see a higher chance of him contributing as well.

Guys like Thompson that are athletic and toolsy, but stike out a metric f***-ton, are high-risk high-reward. Out of 10 Trayce Thompsons, maybe 3 make the majors for more than a cup of coffee, but 2 or 3 become starters or even above average starters. Out of 10 Brandon Shorts, maybe 5 make it to the majors and contribute, but one or none are above average players.

That's all I was trying to say. For the record, I still had Thompson higher on my prospect list than Short, for overall value. But they were only a few slots away from each other.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
I like how Flowers was "given up for dead" because of one year...

2006 - .838

2007 - .866

2008 - .921

2009 - .939

2010 - .768 (.768??? he clearly sucks let's dump him)

2011 - .890 (oops)

Not all of it was his numbers, some was actually watching him at the big league level where his swing looked long and loopy. The Flowers that is up right now is not the same guy as last season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
Not all of it was his numbers, some was actually watching him at the big league level where his swing looked long and loopy. The Flowers that is up right now is not the same guy as last season.

Exactly. It was all projection based on a ton of whiffs last year.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
Exactly. It was all projection based on a ton of whiffs last year.

The K rate had me spooked on TFLow admittedly, and it's still the biggest concern going forward.

The shorter stroke and standup plate presence are encouraging. I remember seeing him a couple years ago with his back turned somewhat to the pitcher, creating a longer, loopier swing. He seems to have come a long way.