Get it over with and let Buehrle go to Yanks/Red Sox

caulfield12

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caulfield, there are intangible fan-related reasons why I think Buehrle's 3 million dollars must be absorbed, regardless of the outcome of this season.

This is one of the three most-beloved White Sox of the past decade, a guy whose number is going up on the wall when it's all said and done. The fans and Mark deserve and opportunity to salute each other.

Too often this has been handled so badly by the organization - the Fisk, Baines, Guillen and Thomas departures all had degrees of acrimony and drama.

$3 million seems like a nice chunk to save, but if the history books say the 2011 White Sox season is disasterous or disappointing, it's both of those at $130 million or at $127 million.

July 16, 2010-2011: Buehrle may not be traded without his permission, under right as 10-and-5 player[/i]

1) Do 10-and-5 rights apply to waiver claims? If not, then the Sox can just dump him and the $2.5M he is owed on the Yankees, who are 100% certain to claim him.

2) Even if the 10-and-5 rights do apply, why would MB turn down a chance to win another World Series, knowing that the likelihood of re-signing with the Sox really doesn't change any because he's on another team for 2 months?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
1) Do 10-and-5 rights apply to waiver claims? If not, then the Sox can just dump him and the $2.5M he is owed on the Yankees, who are 100% certain to claim him.

2) Even if the 10-and-5 rights do apply, why would MB turn down a chance to win another World Series, knowing that the likelihood of re-signing with the Sox really doesn't change any because he's on another team for 2 months?

Are we discussing Mark Buerhle? Cause I am not following folks logic calling for him to be released on waivers, etc

The only logic would be to save money and get back something in return...especially if we knew he would be willing to come back.

Of course, if he really does intend to finish his entire career with the White Sox, you probably don't want to sacrifice it for 5 weeks and a post-season appearance, but that would be entirely up to Mark and his family, how he feels about his "Sox legacy."

I don't think very many White Sox fans look at Frank Thomas in a lesser light because of the way his career ended with the A's and Blue Jays, do they?

I get the appeal of being one of those guys like Gwynn, Ripken, Puckett, Mattingly, Ichiro or Yount that played for just one team their entire career, though. It's a short list.

Are we discussing Mark Buerhle? Cause I am not following folks logic calling for him to be released on waivers, etc

Not release waivers, trade waivers. If the Yankees claim him (and they will) and the Sox don't pull him back, the Yankees are on the hook for his salary for the rest of the season, and with the Sox out of contention, there's no good reason not to save that money.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
Not release waivers, trade waivers. If the Yankees claim him (and they will) and the Sox don't pull him back, the Yankees are on the hook for his salary for the rest of the season, and with the Sox out of contention, there's no good reason not to save that money.

I, for one, do not want to see Mark in another uniform this year or anytime soon. That would truly be the maraschino turd on this s***pile of a season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 07:17 AM)
I'd off myself if they got Friedman. A dynasty (within the division) would be on the horizon.

Didn't realize about 80-85% of the GM's who've led their teams to the playoffs were doing in with their very first team.

Interesting.

http://www.csnchicago.com/08/22/11/Kaplan-...amp;feedID=8487

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 07:09 PM)
Didn't realize about 80-85% of the GM's who've led their teams to the playoffs were doing in with their very first team.

Interesting.

http://www.csnchicago.com/08/22/11/Kaplan-...amp;feedID=8487

I heard a discussion on the SCORE about that. I guess Hahn is the highest paid asst. GM in baseball. So the reason why he hasn't been hired can be over money.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 07:59 AM)
There might be teams more clueless. There might be teams more directionless. But NO team, IMO, is more clueless AND directionless than the Sox.

The Sox might be towards the bottom, but I don't think there is a worse run team right now than Baltimore.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)

Yes there is. Draft pick compensation.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 12:10 AM)
I heard a discussion on the SCORE about that. I guess Hahn is the highest paid asst. GM in baseball. So the reason why he hasn't been hired can be over money.

Guess he learned how to negotiate his own contract from working for Steinberg and Moorad!

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 01:10 AM)

Plus the guy has been very honest about choosing only certain jobs to go after. He might of had a job years ago if he was willing to go somewhere awful.

Well, if you believe the stories, he went through two interviews with the Cardinals but withdrew from that process as the power struggles between LaRussa, ownership, Jocketty and Mozeliak became more unsettling...

But I didn't see where it was actually offered to him...just that he withdrew, same with the Mets situation.

Pretty sure he could have had the Pirates job, though, had he wanted it.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 10:43 PM)
I, for one, do not want to see Mark in another uniform this year or anytime soon. That would truly be the maraschino turd on this s***pile of a season.

Yeah. If that were to happen it would be from all in to all out for sure

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 05:49 AM)
These "trade everybody" threads really need to stop. Start them in October...I don't give a f***. They are pointless at this point in time. Honestly, what are you going to get for Mark Buehrle right now? Joe Smith? Sorry, he's relieving for the Indians. John Johnson? Sorry, the one you're looking for is dead. Steve Smith? Sorry, think the Dodgers are going to hold on to him...as well as the Panthers...and I suppose the Eagles...and I don't know why the Sox would want my old neighbor.

He might be available since his NBA career is over.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 04:49 AM)
These "trade everybody" threads really need to stop. Start them in October...I don't give a f***. They are pointless at this point in time. Honestly, what are you going to get for Mark Buehrle right now? Joe Smith? Sorry, he's relieving for the Indians. John Johnson? Sorry, the one you're looking for is dead. Steve Smith? Sorry, think the Dodgers are going to hold on to him...as well as the Panthers...and I suppose the Eagles...and I don't know why the Sox would want my old neighbor.

I believe his NBA career is over as well