Congratulations to Paul Konerko on acheiving the 2,000 hit hallmark

TheBigHurt

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
That or the fist pump.

If Paulie gets to 2500 hits and 500 HR, he has to get in because how many clean 500 HR guys haven't got in?

A clean 500 will get him in. If not by the sportswriter, then the veterans committee.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
I know nobody likes to hear this argument, but if Konerko didn't play for the 2nd team in the 2nd city the guy is HoF. And he took a hometown discount to stay here.

Him and Buehrle are the White Sox to me, why people even consider trading those guys is beyond me.

Konerko doesn't get in regardless of which team he plays for.

Unless he gets to 500 HR, he really doesn't have the numbers to be considered a Hall of Famer.

I love Konerko, he and Buehrle are two of the greatest Sox of my generation, but his numbers are not hall worthy (as of now).

Konerko could wind up with some better numbers than Thomas. This could be an interesting debate...who is/was a better player? Konerko is still a work in progress if you are comparing the two...but...

Career Hits: PK: 2008, FT: 2468

Career Average: PK: .283 FT: .301

Career HRS: PK: 393 FT: 521

Career RBIs: PK: 1248 FT: 1704

Career Rs : PK: 1003 FT: 1494

Career OBP: PK: .359 FT: .419

Career Slugging: PK: .502 FT: .555

Konerko would have to play at least 4-5 more years to catch Thomas in some of these departments like HRs, RBIs. He has a good chance of getting more hits than Frank (maybe 2 1/2 - 3 years away?). Also have to think about defense and other intangibles. Speed...Thomas is faster and 32 SB to PK's 9. lol!

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
Konerko could wind up with some better numbers than Thomas. This could be an interesting debate...who is/was a better player? Konerko is still a work in progress if you are comparing the two...but...

Konerko would have to play at least 4-5 more years to catch Thomas in some of these departments like HRs, RBIs. He has a good chance of getting more hits than Frank (maybe 2 1/2 - 3 years away?). Also have to think about defense and other intangibles. Speed...Thomas is faster and 32 SB to PK's 9. lol!

Paul Konerko will never be the hitter that Frank Thomas was at his peak. Outside of the juicers, I don't know that we've ever seen a hitter like that. Maybe Albert.

That said...Frank Thomas had a long career, but Konerko keeps dragging on in a different way it seems. If Paulie somehow keeps up this current production level through this contract, then he's going to have had an incredibly consistent career, even with the couple of injury-weakened seasons.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)

He'd have to play longer than he should to do it. I can't see him aging well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
Paul Konerko will never be the hitter that Frank Thomas was at his peak. Outside of the juicers, I don't know that we've ever seen a hitter like that. Maybe Albert.

That said...Frank Thomas had a long career, but Konerko keeps dragging on in a different way it seems. If Paulie somehow keeps up this current production level through this contract, then he's going to have had an incredibly consistent career, even with the couple of injury-weakened seasons.

With nothing real to base it on, I wouldn't be surprised if Belle was in that juicing category.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)

Those are 3 stats where there is a huge difference between the two, that Paulie would have a very hard time catching up to Frank in. Especially the last two.