youth movement next year

mataipaepae

Well, the problem is "where will he play?" with Rasmus.

Despite all evidence to the contrary on Rios, Ozzie seems wedded to him as the CFer.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id...73/colby-rasmus

He's 19/88 so far with the Blue Jays...for a 216 average and mid 600's OPS.

I'd like to say Rio can do better than that at some point, maybe?

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 07:51 AM)
Well, the problem is "where will he play?" with Rasmus.

Despite all evidence to the contrary on Rios, Ozzie seems wedded to him as the CFer.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id...73/colby-rasmus

He's 19/88 so far with the Blue Jays...for a 216 average and mid 600's OPS.

I'd like to say Rio can do better than that at some point, maybe?

I dont understand. This is the guy that was going to save the Sox season, these numbers cannot be true

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
They are definitely shopping Quentin regardless this winter.

They have a replacement at a fraction of the cost, and with their payroll issues, they pretty much have to look at it. I would be shocked if at least one starter didn't get dealt as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 09:15 AM)
They have a replacement at a fraction of the cost, and with their payroll issues, they pretty much have to look at it. I would be shocked if at least one starter didn't get dealt as well.

Yep. Which again, makes this year's deadline such a joke.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 09:22 AM)
Yep. Which again, makes this year's deadline such a joke.

Not really. They clearly didnt want to mail it in and thats understandable. Quentin and Thornton were being heavily shopped and honestly I heard a deal was close for Q, but obviously the value wasnt there so they didnt bite. I expect this offseason will be the end of Q and most likely a starter so Sale and Stewart can move into the rotation.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 07:03 AM)
I'm surprised Peavy wasn't on the waiver wire.

Me too. Surprised Dunn wasn't too. All you are doing at the waiver wire is kind of judging interest in your players not necessarily really looking to drop them

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 06:40 AM)
Maybe Heyward and Beachy for Quentin, Thornton, Dunn, and Rios. We'll throw in Peavy to make it far.

Why not trade all our playhers for a mid level prospect? :lolhitting :huh

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
Not really. They clearly didnt want to mail it in and thats understandable. Quentin and Thornton were being heavily shopped and honestly I heard a deal was close for Q, but obviously the value wasnt there so they didnt bite. I expect this offseason will be the end of Q and most likely a starter so Sale and Stewart can move into the rotation.

Quentin's value was higher last month then it will be this offseason. Agree about the rotation. I think Danks is gone as well.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
Quentin's value was higher last month then it will be this offseason. Agree about the rotation. I think Danks is gone as well.

Maybe, you dont know that as the market dictates the value and pretty much only 2 teams needed a RH slugger the deadline whereas in the offseason many more teams will be interested.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 09:43 AM)
Maybe, you dont know that as the market dictates the value and pretty much only 2 teams needed a RH slugger the deadline whereas in the offseason many more teams will be interested.

I'm more inclined to agree with bucket, but a good month of September can really raise his value.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 09:43 AM)

And after those teams got what they wanted, there really wasn't much of a market left for Q. I understand thinking we have his replacement, but at the same time, you aren't going to dump him for sub-value. Even if we wait until the winter we can still do that. At least in the winter, you will have more teams bidding on him potentially.

Why don't we just go ahead and make a three-way deal. The Giants have to want to get in on this.

To Chicago:

Bumgarner

Posey

Lawrie

Rasmus

K. Drabek

To San Fran:

Peavy

AJ

To Toronto:

Rios

Dunn

Ozzie

Buehrle

This totally sets us up to dominate soon. Good youth, while San Fran gets at op NL pitcher in Peavy and AJ can boost their struggling offense (plus we know how much San Fran loves AJ). Clearly, Toronto still loves Rios, and they could bet on Dunn turning it around and try to extend Mark for that veteran presence in the rotation... at the low-low cost of Lawrie, Drabek, and Rasmus. To boot, Ozzie manages them!

Then f*** IT! Toss Flowers, Humber to Florida for Mike Stanton!

Next year, we can roll with the following lineup. Tell me where to sign up!

C Posey

CF Rasmus

3B Lawrie

1B Konerko

RF Stanton

DH Quentin

SS Ramirez

LF Viciedo

2B Beckham

Then you pop Bumgarner and Drabek into a rebuilt young rotation!

Bumgarner

Danks

Floyd

Drabek

Stewart

...and you got yourself a stew goin!

A bonafide "youth movement" will never happen for the Sox because too much of the fanbase would not accept it. We, the "extreme fans" of the internet need to understand that we're really not that representative of the average fan. The Sox are a big market team that will try to compete every year, or at least provide fans a glimmer of hope by avoiding an obvious rebuild.

The youth movement, as much as there will be one has perhaps already begun, and may be gaining momentum in the next few weeks. I fully expect Viciedo and Addison Reed to be regular major leaguers as soon as they get here. The patience shown this season with Morel is in line with this strategy. Some of the offseason moves may depend on the performance of guys like De Aza, TFlow and Lilli for the rest of this season, and on guys like Santiago in the fall and winter leagues, which could allow us to get younger. IMO, Danks, Q and Thornton will at least be shopped and Buehrle will be resigned, but the roster won't be that dramatically different.

As much as anything, how young we play on the field next year will depend on the guts, or continued lack thereof, the org shows in benching Rios and Dunn, if they're not performing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
Did the fanbase not accept 1999? Yeah, "The Kids can play" is still a running joke, but I don't think anyone was really that annoyed with it once they slaughtered the Indians and Yankees in that 12 game stretch in 2000.

It is a different fan base now versus 12 years ago.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 01:00 PM)
Yeah. I'm much more content since I can look back at 2005.

As an organization, that is totally not true. Am I the only one who remembers the first half of the 2000's when people would say things like "I wouldn't care what happened afterwards, as long as we won a World Series!"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
As an organization, that is totally not true. Am I the only one who remembers the first half of the 2000's when people would say things like "I wouldn't care what happened afterwards, as long as we won a World Series!"

If the attitude that they need to compete every year is causing them to take the kind of gambles we've seen bust in the last 2 years...then maybe it's time to clean house of that attitude and bring in people who are willing to waste a year or two if it means good things for the future, because "Winning now" seems to be pushing this team towards the gambler's ruin.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
If the attitude that they need to compete every year is causing them to take the kind of gambles we've seen bust in the last 2 years...then maybe it's time to clean house of that attitude and bring in people who are willing to waste a year or two if it means good things for the future, because "Winning now" seems to be pushing this team towards the gambler's ruin.

It has also paid off in a World Championship and another division title. You'd be hard pressed to not call the Kenny Williams era the most successful in the history of this franchise.