youth movement next year

mataipaepae

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
It has also paid off in a World Championship and another division title. You'd be hard pressed to not call the Kenny Williams era the most successful in the history of this franchise.

History of the franchise? No. In the last 80 years....maybe. Though the early 90's were pretty good for the Sox and if not for the strike things may have been really different over the last 20 years.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I also believe it's a somewhat different fanbase than 10+ years ago. Despite the euphoria of 2005, expectations are invariably raised by that success, and higher expectations are harder to meet. I would say that the Cubs fanbase has been changed since 2003.

Since were talking about fanbase reactions, there's an article today in SSS about the fans reactions to Dunn and Rios at the cell. They won't be stoking fan enthusiasm for 2012 by playing these guys in September, that's for sure. A good summary of how this season has been mismanaged (unmamanaged?) is pretty much in line with my beliefs.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2011/8/25/2383...stomer-is-right

"Granted, nobody would advise letting public sentiment guide a team's philosophy, but what about when the fans are right? Dunn and Rios have provided zero reason to believe. De Aza (and Tyler Flowers to a lesser extent) showed that Triple-A production can translate to the majors during a pennant race. Dayan Viciedo could have been introduced in a number of ways. Yet Dunn and Rios play on, just about every day, in their preferred spots. They're comfortable; everybody who has to watch them suffers.

Quentin's status could be the final nail in the coffin. The Sox are 6 1/2 games out, and they've been playing shorthanded since Quentin hurt himself on Saturday. He will not be available for the Seattle series, which shouldn't come as a surprise. A DL stint is possible, but at this point, do the Sox even care? They've played the entire season with an arm tied behind their back, and it's apparent that they'd rather be physically limited than actually take a course of action. The decision-makers have allowed Rios and Dunn to drag them down all season. Maybe they'll be allowed to finish the job."

As I watched Trumbo impress the heck out of me the last couple of nights, I wondered... is their any good reason, other than an occasional bad thumb, that DV couldn't have given us what MT has given the Angels this year? Makes me sick.

Also got a kick out of the post-ASB Dunn Rios Carry-the-team Pact results:

Since Dunn and Rios made a pact to carry the team on their shoulders, the results aren't pretty. Neither player has improved.

Dunn:

•Before: .160/.292/.305

•After: .181/.294/.255

Rios:

•Before: .213/.262/.309

•After: .212/.223/.347

The Sox have responded by ... actually, they haven't responded. Alejandro De Aza's fine first impression is limited by Ozzie Guillen, who won't allow De Aza to boot Rios from center. Dunn started six of the last eight games, all of them crucial. He raised his average from .162 to .165, yet a terrible series in Anaheim stalled his attempted transformation into a slappy singles-hitter.

Guillen's can't bear to disrespect veterans. Kenny Williams has practically disappeared. The fans are left to fend for themselves.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
It has also paid off in a World Championship and another division title. You'd be hard pressed to not call the Kenny Williams era the most successful in the history of this franchise.

Because of his bad trades and senseless FA signings? and watching our farm system become arguably the worst in MLB? Charlie Manson could have done as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)

I don't know what the GM's of the 1900's & 1910s did or didn't do, but this is definitely a true statement. The problem is that you are talking about a franchise, who in its first 100 years, had 2 WS titles, 5 AL titles, & 7 total playoff appearances. That is not a very successful franchise, especially considering how few teams there once were. Sometimes when I enjoy the 2005 banners at the stadium, I get amazed by how little success they had before that.

I'm joining the camp that Dayan isn't up because Kenny knows Ozzie won't play him.

Look at De Aza, he's done nothing but produce...but Rios remains in center.

Flowers has been hitting well...AJ will be back to hitting singles galore.

Whenever Morel has a good night...benched the next.

Other than Gordon, I have never seen Ozzie put a young guy in position to succeed.

Wow! Not only is this completely wrong but it's also the funniest thing I've ever read on this site! Congratulations !!

The Sox were just two injuries away from having had a pretty decent season. I'm not talking about two injuries that kept players off the field, but two injuries that needed to happen, but never did.

If only Rios and Dunn had gotten hurt and gone on the DL, players like Viciedo, de Aza and Lillibridge might have had enough playing time to erase the total black holes that Dunn and Rios represented.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 07:39 PM)
I'm joining the camp that Dayan isn't up because Kenny knows Ozzie won't play him.

Look at De Aza, he's done nothing but produce...but Rios remains in center.

Flowers has been hitting well...AJ will be back to hitting singles galore.

Whenever Morel has a good night...benched the next.

Other than Gordon, I have never seen Ozzie put a young guy in position to succeed.

Bobby Jenks and Chris Sale

He also played Josh Fields almost everyday in 2007 during the 2nd half. Fields and Jerry Owens were responsible for their own downfalls.

Edited by caulfield12