Sox Did Not Put in a claim on Kubel or Thome

The Ginger Kid

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that will give Ozzie yet another excuse to NOT play Viciedo the final month.

Geez. If they have Pierre, Kubel and Quentin to play at the same time, they might as well just send him to winter ball.

I'm hoping and praying it was just to block him going to the Indians or Tigers. But can't imagine Minnesota would take the PR hit of just giving him away to the White Sox, even if we're already out of it.

Edited by caulfield12

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-Jim...hite-sox-082511

Kubel, meanwhile, is unlikely to be traded, sources said. The Twins likely would offer him arbitration in an attempt to re-sign him, and would want the equivalent of at least a high draft pick in return.

The Twins must decide on Thome and Kubel by 1 p.m. ET Friday. The Indians are six games out in the AL Central, the White Sox 61/2 out. But Thome could fit well in Cleveland, and the same is true of Kubel in Chicago.

Kubel, who is owed about $900,000, has talked with the Twins about a possible contract extension. Both he and Thome are eligible for free agency at the end of the season.

How does Kubel fit "well"?

Now we're finally benching Dunn two months after it could have actually affected the division race? Even two weeks ago would have made a difference. Now, not so much.

That's just dumb. I hope they mean he would fit well because Quentin's injured...

Maybe Minnesota wants to prevent an additional month of Viciedo developing and playing everyday with the big league squad.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
Interesting. I doubt anything comes of it, but why not?

makes sense in terms of preventing Cleveland from claiming him and potentially working a deal. doesnt make sense for the Sox to trade for himself unless they can get him for cheap as he's right on the edge of being a Type A free agent. i'm assuming Viciedo gets an opportunity at an outfield slot and we have pierre (free agent i believe) and quentin (probable trade bait) in the wings at the corner spots, no DH available, so trading for Kubel to keep him isnt likely. i like him as a hitter, but with the salary committments this team has we're better off just using this claim as a block. i foresee us not resigning pierre, trading quentin for young pitching, and signing a cheap OF to play LF. Our roster is heading into Cub territory with our aweful contracts :(

I don't know. IF the Sox think they could keep Kubel next year, this might be a nice move to try and help pick him up. Plus, it would give the Sox the ability to offer him arbitration if they'd like. Kubel would look nice in the lineup next year and would probably see a bounce back in his power numbers moving away from Target field.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
I don't know. IF the Sox think they could keep Kubel next year, this might be a nice move to try and help pick him up. Plus, it would give the Sox the ability to offer him arbitration if they'd like. Kubel would look nice in the lineup next year and would probably see a bounce back in his power numbers moving away from Target field.

After Swisher, Rios and Done, I no longer believe in the automatic power spike that's supposed to occur when playing at the Cell.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)

if the Twins were giving him away for nothing, sure why not. If the Twins were asking for something legitimate in return, there's no reason to do that sort of deal, you get a draft pick back but that's it.

If the Sox had plenty of money to spend, Kubel would fit in as an OK DH option next year. Unfortunately, I think the Sox have spent their DH funds for the near future.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

It would have made sense for CWS to either claim both Thome and Kubel, to block Cleveland, or neither;no place for CWS to use them.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)

I don't buy Olney's claim there, for what Chisoxfn says. There's no risk in claiming Kubel. If the Sox somehow magically got him cheap, you would have a productive player, whether used correctly or not, who at the minimum would be worth draft picks.

It seems to be the other way around, I thought we had been awarded the claim on Thome but it was Kubel. Don't really think the Twins will trade him or let him go but pull him back.

Link: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-Jim...hite-sox-082511

Article:

Twins designated hitter Jim Thome was claimed on waivers by the Cleveland Indians, while outfielder Jason Kubel was claimed by the Chicago White Sox, according to major-league sources.

The claims do not mean that either player will change teams. The Twins can trade Thome and/or Kubel. They also can keep one or both or allow one or both to leave on a claim.

Thome, who holds a full no-trade clause, and can reject any deal. He prefers the Phillies to the Indians, one source said, but it’s doubtful he could circumvent the waiver process to land with Philadelphia.

Kubel, meanwhile, is unlikely to be traded, sources said. The Twins likely would offer him arbitration in an attempt to re-sign him, and would want the equivalent of at least a high draft pick in return.

The Twins must decide on Thome and Kubel by 1 p.m. ET Friday. The Indians are six games out in the AL Central, the White Sox 61/2 out. But Thome could fit well in Cleveland, and the same is true of Kubel in Chicago.

The Indians are without designated hitter Travis Hafner, who is on the disabled list with a strained right foot. The White Sox are missing right fielder Carlos Quentin, who is battling a shoulder problem.

The only way for Thome to get to the Phillies would be if the Twins pulled him off trade waivers and placed him on release waivers. Thome could then reject every team that claims him but the Phillies.

Such a ploy, however, would require Thome to forfeit the rest of his salary, about $500,000. It also would require the cooperation of the Twins, who would receive nothing in return for their popular slugger.

Rival clubs almost certainly would protest such a manipulation of the waiver process. Thome, who recently hit his 600th home run, could even suffer a hit to his image.

Kubel, who is owed about $900,000, has talked with the Twins about a possible contract extension. Both he and Thome are eligible for free agency at the end of the season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
After Swisher, Rios and Done, I no longer believe in the automatic power spike that's supposed to occur when playing at the Cell.

Considering those 3 players are equally worthless on the road, you might consider the players themselves (or blame it on the hitting coach) and not disregard the park's obvious advantage played towards the hitters.

If you question USCF just reference Konerko's home/road splits over his career:

HOME: .295 .375 .553

ROAD: .270 .343 .453

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
Considering those 3 players are equally worthless on the road, you might consider the players themselves (or blame it on the hitting coach) and not disregard the park's obvious advantage played towards the hitters.

If you question USCF just reference Konerko's home/road splits over his career:

HOME: .295 .375 .553

ROAD: .270 .343 .453

PK has been here his entire career. We always hear when acquiring a new guy or rumored to be after a certain player that playing at the Cell should enhance his power production. Haven't seen it at all the last 3-5 years.