Who starts for Sox in '12

southsider2k5

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
Nope, and he even replied to a different tweet. I don't think he really knows. Any idea who could actually answer that question?

If he doesn't know explicitly then I'm going to be he pulled that out of his arse without really knowing how the contract/arbitration details work out.

If someone had told him that Humber would be a FA he would have easily just said "I heard that from the team". The fact that he coudln't tells me that's just him not knowing the system.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
Couldn't be any more obvious. Doesn't seem to understand player values either, judging by posts in other threads.

If I judge too high then you judge too low. As I just responded to Rowand I don;t agree with the idea of change just for the sake of change. People we are calling to be traded aren't necesarily the problem, but we seem to think we should trade them and keep non-performers. You don't trade a strength and weaken your self by getting unproven prospects especially when you see folks calling for a mid level prospect in return for a proven major leaguer. Now I guess if Kenny Wiliams comes out a says we are blowing this team up and starting over with young unproven alent then so be it, but I think that is an overreaction to some real unforeseen occurences this year.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
Guys most likely to get dealt IMO are obviously Danks and CQ...but I'd put Beckham right at the top of that list of players to be dealt. It feels like the Cubs Part II being stuck with these albatross contracts of Rios and Dunn...geez.

Not happening. Beckham will be fine.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
You're basing this on what exactly? A stellar AAA career?

Extremely talented guys can take time to get "it" at the major league level, especially without a lot of minor league at bats. A guy like Alex Gordon is a great example.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)
Not happening. Beckham will be fine.

I am inclined to believe Gordon Beckham will still develop into a good hitter. He is already a very very fine defender. He never had much if any minor league experience and pretty much went from college to the bigs. That doersn't work all that often. He is basically having to learn at the major league level.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
You're basing this on what exactly? A stellar AAA career?

Based on his proven success at every level including MLB. He's not consistent offensively yet, but he's had stellar stretches for months at at time in both his first two seasons. This season he's regressed and his

plate discipline has fallen off. Doesn't mean he's a bust. Not even close. His swing is long and he's chasing. Happens to the better hitters all the time.

I think he's an above average defender that should hit at a .750+ OPS clip for his career. That's a quality 2B.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
One of the veteran pitchers in the bullpen should go too, one of Frasor/Crain/Ohman/Thornton, if not two of them. The Sox don't have much depth in the minors, but they do have a few relievers that I think could be quite solid for cheap (Reed chief among them, but also Infante, Santiago who I think ends up a reliever again, Remenowsky).

Why don't we talk about Reed more often? His numbers are awesome down there. He could be the shut-down setup guy that lets Sale move to the rotation.

EDIT: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...id=reed--001add

13.2 K/9 and 1.0 BB/9 and HR/9? Are you kidding me? And he hasn't struggled at any level.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
Why don't we talk about Reed more often? His numbers are awesome down there. He could be the shut-down setup guy that lets Sale move to the rotation.

EDIT: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...id=reed--001add

13.2 K/9 and 1.0 BB/9 and HR/9? Are you kidding me? And he hasn't struggled at any level.

We talk a lot about Reed in the FutureSox forum, if you go check it out. We talk about all the others I mentioned too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
Also we don't talk about Reed because he's in the same boat as Viciedo. Mysteriously not called up despite a role that he could fill.

Of course. KW won't call him up cause he won't get enough playing time from Ozzie, and Ozzie can only play the guys that KW puts on his 25-man roster.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 05:30 PM)
Of course. KW won't call him up cause he won't get enough playing time from Ozzie, and Ozzie can only play the guys that KW puts on his 25-man roster.

I can't tell who this is mocking, but after Dayan last year, I don't blame Kenny.

Reed is better off honing his pitches/building arm strength every day then wasting away in the back of Ozzie's bullpen.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
I can't tell who this is mocking, but after Dayan last year, I don't blame Kenny.

Reed is better off honing his pitches/building arm strength every day then wasting away in the back of Ozzie's bullpen.

I'm mocking the chess game both have played in the media this year, mostly regarding Viciedo. One blames the other, who blames the other, and so on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
Chris said flat out that he is under Sox control until 2015

It's definitely the case. I don't know why a Sox beat-writer would have such trouble with something like this, it's incredibly straight forward, to put that in an article that's specifically focused on the 2012 rotation is pretty sad. All you have to remember is it doesn't mean a damn thing how many times a player has been traded, released or claimed off waivers, his service number stays with him and determines his free agent status. If he's going to have 2 years of service following this season and is not under contract then he's ours for 4 more years and will be pre-arb next season, easy stuff. I know it sounds like a small miscue but the illogical approach he had to take in order to come to the conclusion he did is inexcusable. He'll make like $550-$600K next season.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 02:15 PM)
I am inclined to believe Gordon Beckham will still develop into a good hitter. He is already a very very fine defender. He never had much if any minor league experience and pretty much went from college to the bigs. That doersn't work all that often. He is basically having to learn at the major league level.

He is a great defender. You may very well be right..but my inclination says he won't develop into a good hitter. He definitely needs to GTF away from Walker and start from ground zero. He's not effective unless driving the ball the opposite way...that's been my biggest b**** about Beckham, CQ...a bunch of guys. Not sure wth Walker tells these guys...but it ain't working. Hell...I was saying I had no faith in Beckham rebounding before the season even started. I really hope I'm wrong on this....