Who starts for Sox in '12

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
I'm mocking the chess game both have played in the media this year, mostly regarding Viciedo. One blames the other, who blames the other, and so on.

I'm on Kenny's side 100% about Viciedo.

The kid raked last year and Ozzie barely played him. He needs to play everyday.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
The league adjusted, he didn't.

Or he adjusted too much. Or misadjusted. His swing is NOT the same as when he came up, so adjustments were made, just not successful ones.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)
He is a great defender. You may very well be right..but my inclination says he won't develop into a good hitter. He definitely needs to GTF away from Walker and start from ground zero. He's not effective unless driving the ball the opposite way...that's been my biggest b**** about Beckham, CQ...a bunch of guys. Not sure wth Walker tells these guys...but it ain't working. Hell...I was saying I had no faith in Beckham rebounding before the season even started. I really hope I'm wrong on this....

This is a hard call. Players and Ozzie seem to like Walker. There are some identifiable issues with GB's swing and if Beckham can't change is it because Walker can't teach him oir Beckham can't or won't listen and learn?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 06:18 PM)
It's definitely the case. I don't know why a Sox beat-writer would have such trouble with something like this, it's incredibly straight forward, to put that in an article that's specifically focused on the 2012 rotation is pretty sad. All you have to remember is it doesn't mean a damn thing how many times a player has been traded, released or claimed off waivers, his service number stays with him and determines his free agent status. If he's going to have 2 years of service following this season and is not under contract then he's ours for 4 more years and will be pre-arb next season, easy stuff. I know it sounds like a small miscue but the illogical approach he had to take in order to come to the conclusion he did is inexcusable. He'll make like $550-$600K next season.

Its pretty bad when it is your job to know this stuff and you don't.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 08:53 AM)
I'd rather the White Sox not be a part of paying Humber anything remotely substantial.

This year's lightening in a bottle project fizzled out faster than even I figured it would.

Edited by mcgrad70

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
This year's lightening in a bottle project fizzled out faster than even I figured it would.

Then you didn't bother looking at his history.

It's not surprising that a guy who has thrown 140 innings, mostly in the minors, each of the last 3 years would hit a wall after pitching 120-ish innings in the big leagues this year.

Especially considering that his problem early in the season was that he'd hit a wall around the 5th-6th inning and tire out.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
I used to say things like this, and now I don't know.

What happened to him? This may deserve its own thread discussion.

Too many heads games played by Williams and Guillen.

They had a superstar in the making and just couldn't help trying to put their imprint on him.

It's criminal what this organization has done to Gordon Beckman.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)
Too many heads games played by Williams and Guillen.

They had a superstar in the making and just couldn't help trying to put their imprint on him.

It's criminal what this organization has done to Gordon Beckman.

If you had Gordon Beckham starting at the beginning of 2009, and you were either of these 2 guys, what would you have done differently?

MGon says Sale is a strong posibility for the starting rotation next year:

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3460021.story

Article:

By Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune reporter

9:05 p.m. CDT, August 27, 2011

SEATTLE — The luxury of having a dominant left-handed reliever like Chris Sale was too attractive for manager Ozzie Guillen to pass up Friday night.

But it still appears Sale will join the White Sox rotation in 2012 with Sergio Santos becoming the sole closer.

Guillen explained Sale was summoned to close the 4-2 victory because the Mariners had three left-handed hitters scheduled to bat and Santos is only in his second major league season and third as a pitcher.

"(Santos) is learning very fast," Guillen said Saturday. "… I don't know for sure. They might move Sale to the rotation, then (Santos) will be the closer."

General manager Ken Williams didn't respond to an email sent on Aug. 10 about Sale's role in 2012, but a team source said Sale is likely to join the rotation.

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)
MGon says Sale is a strong posibility for the starting rotation next year:

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3460021.story

Article:

By Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune reporter

9:05 p.m. CDT, August 27, 2011

SEATTLE — The luxury of having a dominant left-handed reliever like Chris Sale was too attractive for manager Ozzie Guillen to pass up Friday night.

But it still appears Sale will join the White Sox rotation in 2012 with Sergio Santos becoming the sole closer.

Guillen explained Sale was summoned to close the 4-2 victory because the Mariners had three left-handed hitters scheduled to bat and Santos is only in his second major league season and third as a pitcher.

"(Santos) is learning very fast," Guillen said Saturday. "… I don't know for sure. They might move Sale to the rotation, then (Santos) will be the closer."

General manager Ken Williams didn't respond to an email sent on Aug. 10 about Sale's role in 2012, but a team source said Sale is likely to join the rotation.

A year late. But this is good news (if true).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 10:16 AM)
Which means at least one of the starters is getting dealt, because you already have Zach Stewart on the line.

I can only think of Peavy, Floyd, Humber, Sale, and Stewart. Who else is under Sox control next season?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
I can only think of Peavy, Floyd, Humber, Sale, and Stewart. Who else is under Sox control next season?

John Danks, for one.

Secondly, there's still a pretty darn good shot of M-56 coming back in most people's opinion.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Unless Danks and Floyd get dealt, I'm not too sure about that happening anymore.

Assuming we don't sell off completely...I wouldn't be surprised at all if they traded Danks and then kept 6 starters, with Stewart, Sale, and Humber having to prove things when they get to spring training.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 07:05 PM)
Unless Danks and Floyd get dealt, I'm not too sure about that happening anymore.

I pray Mark goes to the NL to a team that doesn't face us.

That is a sad day when he pitches in the Cell for another team.

It's amazing we will be willing to pay Adam Dunn and Rios and not Buehrle. Truly amazing.

How anybody can buy season tickets to an organization that would do this is beyond me.

Do what Milkman does ... only go to games if you can score free tickets.

Let's see the Sox explain that one to their fans. Paying Dunn n Rios and letting Mark walk. Wow.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
I pray Mark goes to the NL to a team that doesn't face us.

That is a sad day when he pitches in the Cell for another team.

It's amazing we will be willing to pay Adam Dunn and Rios and not Buehrle. Truly amazing.

How anybody can buy season tickets to an organization that would do this is beyond me.

Do what Milkman does ... only go to games if you can score free tickets.

Let's see the Sox explain that one to their fans. Paying Dunn n Rios and letting Mark walk. Wow.

If you are a baseball fan and can afford to buy tickets, it's stupid not to.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
Then Marty, there have been a lot of "stupid" White Sox fans this season.

And maybe a lot more are considering the economic ROI of spending on the Sox rather than saving, paying down credit card debt or using it for a vacation or big screen HD tv, etc.

Well a lot less this year than years past...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
Assuming we don't sell off completely...I wouldn't be surprised at all if they traded Danks and then kept 6 starters, with Stewart, Sale, and Humber having to prove things when they get to spring training.

You still have Santiago as a wild card as well.